The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Here u go .. read first post ..I made the mistake of not including the sata Ide folder too you need both! folders am quoting here from a clip from post

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299....d2327f04623825e

"Then copy the whole content (that means all files) of the SATARAID and the whole content (all files) of the SATA_IDE subfolder all together onto an empty floppy disk or USB stick. All files have to be in the root of the disk/stick device. "

I had only loaded one folder. be sure to include both

yeah, i have followed that guide on a few attempts.. but it still never saw my array. i guess i will give it another go.

which drivers did you go with, the vista beta 2's or the latest win xp (rc1 doesn't even have sata drivers)?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all I gota say is wow.. after I posted my last post then about five min later I started installing vista.. from within windows xp and dammmmmmmmmm I do mean dammmm.. it took 25min practically on the dot to install all my previous installs from within xp took upwards of 60-80minutes to install this was like my first time ever I mean i went to go prepare some food and when i was back it already had restarted one time and was in second phase of installation everything went smooth.. gota hand it off to MS they did a great job on this build. Is fast way faster than any build soo far major improvement.. start up ram was at about 480mb not bad.

Oh and diverge I used xp's drivers from nvidia 6.86 I belive feel free to ask further is you have trouble.

i just deleted all the partitions of my usb key and created one partition and it is totally formatted with just the contents of the 6.86 sata_ide and sataraid folders. gonna give it another try.. if this doesn't work i guess i try a different bios or something.

well it didn't work that time either... creating bios disk with latest expert bios right now (maybe vista doesn't like my venus bios). gonna flash it, then retry. if this doesn't work, then i guess i give up lol

i did try it with the original sata floppy that came with the motherboard. but forget if i tried it using the latest and creating a new floppy. i just tried latest offical dfi expert bios - same problem.. doesn't see my array and only shows 1 of my raptors. tried it on sata ports 1 &2, and 3 & 4... no change. guess i will try one last time with a floppy rather then usb drive.

Have u tried the tonys 704bt bios?

nope, haven't tried it. really never had a need as i never had any problems setting up my memory (my sig is kinda outdated.. have team group cronos infineons). I just tried loading the drivers from a floppy, no difference.... but i did see something change.. i deleted my array in the nvida (f10) menu, and recreated a fresh array and now vista sees both hd's, but never sees an array no matter what i do. (i've never had any issues setting up any raid arrays in win xp)

i can't think of anything else to try.. maybe there are just differences in motherboard/chipsets?? (my expert if pretty much from release of the board)

something i have noticed is that when i try to install vista on to my raid array, and the drives show up as 2 x single drives, one of the drive shows an message in vista as saying the drive is not bootable... blah blah blah.. and the other doesn't.. and i think if i switch with drives are on which sata channel the message follows the drive. i've installed WD diagnostics for windows and checked each drive out, checking the firmware versions of each drive, and low level formatting each one.. then i guess i will try once more.

EDIT:

hmm, same firmware rev #'s 720.D872.. wrote 0's to both drives.. guess i will try one more time... but it seems doubtful it will work :(

EDIT again: Nope.. didn't work. tried other bioses too.. no matter what vista will not see my raid array.. even if i have vista on a single drive, and my raid array connected - in windows it shows as single drives and not the array even thought the nvida raid drivers show up in device manger.. but in the device manager the raided drivers don't fall under that if you view by connection. It just has to be some incompatability between my motherboard and vista. it is like it is not reading the bios/raid bios info at all and thinks they are setup as single drives :(