The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use Partition Magic from within XP and resize your original partition and create a new one for Vista.

I would move your "My Documents" folder to a seperate partition, as well and rename them "Documents" (That's what I did and all my OS use the same Documents folder)

Go to "Start" menu, right click on "Documents" select properties, Location tab and click "Move", link to your XP "My Documents" Folder.

How big is your Vista partition?

Does Vista require a primary or will a logical partition work?

I downloaded the x64 version yesterday, but I haven't had and will not have for a couple of days the time to install it.

I don't know if there are different policies according to purpose of use and occupation, but I can at least confirm that my key is valid for installation on 10 computers.

I made 3 partitions of 25Gb for each OS and one 113Gb one for my Documents folder.

Does Vista require a primary or will a logical partition work?

I used primary partitions.

Here's a Flash Visual Tour of Vista if anyone is interested.

BTW avast! antivirus works good on Vista x64.

Pretty sure it's a driver issue, not 100% positive, though. I use the Nvidia SATA II, but I only use 1 drive.

You're also not using hitachi drives ... there aren't very many people having this problem, so I'm really just trying to find the common denominator, which may be the hitachis.

I can't see where the nv sata / nvraid is the issue, this isn't raid specific, this is with the hitachi drives set in a standalone config too. Once they are disconnected, the system boots fine and sees all of the ide drives that I connect. Likewise, when I'm booting with just the ide drives (even though they aren't in raid), I still have the raid controller enabled, just nothing attached that's sata.

It isn't a drive conflict that I can see, even with all disconnected except for a single sata drive and the dvdrw, nothing is seen.

The above is all with the nvidia controller .. When I connect the hitachi's to the sil controller, system boots and sees all the drives (except the sata drives) and progresses to the upgrade / custom install screen, at which point, you can load drivers for the sil.

This is why I am thinking it's an issue that revolves around 3 requirements .. nv sata, hitachi drives, and vista. Like I said at the beginning of this though, not enough people are running into this to be able to find the common factors or see if nyone has found an alternate solution to get around the undetected drives issue.

If it is a drive issue, I can easily resolve this by simpy getting some new (different brand) sata drives, but I don't want to start blindly buying other hardware if there is another resolution to the whole problem.

I see your point of view, I just don't understand how one brand would cause problems over another, considering they all have to meet SATA II specifications. Did you use that same config with another OS, with no problems?

Those aren't the new perpendicular drives, by any chance, are they?

You changed the SATA config in the BIOS?

I see your point of view, I just don't understand how one brand would cause problems over another, considering they all have to meet SATA II specifications. Did you use that same config with another OS, with no problems?

Those aren't the new perpendicular drives, by any chance, are they?

You changed the SATA config in the BIOS?

The config I run works with everything except vista .. worst I've run into was a dmraid issue in linux that wasn't allowing me to see my nvraid set, but that was a specific software issue. This is really similiar to what I saw with dmraid.

Once I have vista loaded, I can add the nv controller + drives (re-enable in bios), but even then, it isn't right .. with the nvraid driver loaded, I see my drives as 2 seperate drives, not a single 306GB that normally shows everywhere else (xp and linux). It's very specific to vista, so that says it is a software issue, not hardware, but the combination of hardware may be what is making the software issue come to light.

besides, now I'm :mad: as I reinstall :eek2: after making myself :confused: about how I managed to kill the nvatabus so badly that vista stopped booting .. at which point, when I ran the last known good config option, all of my passwords into the system disappeared :nod:

I'm really taking all of this with a grain of salt .. My specific needs for vista revolve around the actual configs in the os, not the install. As long as I can get it installed, I'm fine .. the drive issue was more of a slowdown, but since I know how to get past that for now, it doesn't matter greatly. It will matter more in half a year if / when I decide to make the switch to vista as my windows OS.

Hitachi SATA II drives work just fine

keep in mind this IS a beta OS and things are not going to work properly for everyone

I'm still downloading 64bit version, but the 32bit version is up and running

some drivers work great (ALC882 Realtek HD Audio drivers), some are so-so (ATI Cat Vista)

here's the testing I am going to do:

XP Pro 32-bit

XP Pro 64-bit

Vista 32-bit

Vista 64-bit

Lanparty CFX3200-DR (ATI Crossfire board)

Opteron 146 @ 2Ghz

4x1GB OCZ PC4000 Gold EL

ATI X1900XT

Enermax 600w Whisper

Thermalright XP-90

Hitachi SATA II 80GB

NEC 3550A DVD-RW

Floppy

Guest Kobalt

Vista took a long time to install. It acted like it was locked up for a good 15mins. Then all of the sudden, it continued.

After installing the beta drivers, it went OK, except for the fact that 1 core was at 100% cpu time. Explorer was the culprit. Very strange it hogs ALL the cpu time for 1 core.

About the only thing that I can say about Vista is, it sure is annoying with those requesters popping up on almost everything you do.

The desktop GUI compared to XP was a bit better. Compared with KDE/gnome, not really better.

I guess I can play with it some more...but at this point, I would rate it a D, for darn annoying. :P