The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Edit: Thx 4 throwing those updates out there!

Windows XP Compatiblitiy Mode...worked like a charm

So 05 is now installed heh.

Still getting stuttering in 01-06 tho...

edit 3: man thats weird...I have multiple tab home assignments in IE7...when i'm clicked on the second tab, and i click Home, it creates my first 4 home page tabs starting from the second tab instead of the first...So i end up with 5 open tabs instead of 4...

edit 4: texturing errors in 3dmark 03, where the colors on the one of the trolls legs are yellowish-white instead of greenish-blue (or whatever color troll legs are...)

Futuremark Suite:

Vista 32-bit

3DMark 01: 13538

3DMark 03: 7740

3dMark 05: 3361

3dMark 06: 1222

Vista 64-bit

3DMark 01: 13233

3DMark 03: 7989

3dMark 05: 3315

3dMark 06: 1296

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DX10 will be Vista only, as most of XP's core would have to be rewritten in order to function properly with DX10 installed.

MS has this dilemna that it faces everytime they want to move on to the next stage of computing and release new software, not only OSs or DirectX, but Games and other software also;

Do we keep the majority of users happy and keep backwards compatibility, but risk losing performance and security?

Or, do we leave the old technology behind and push for tighter security and faster performance, either way someone will classy lady... who makes us more money?

And that the way the cookie crumbles.... LOL JK

Advancement in technology always has my vote. But I don't buy Dells and use IE, or pay for AOL when I already have a cable ISP so I am not part of that majority. Usually MS has taken the safe road, It's about time they step up their game, and risk having "Bob from accounting" call tech support 3 times a week crying he can't go screwing around in control panel or install his games from home at work.

just to add to this. the only thing that you can not updrage through a download is your hardware (which would be cool.. "oh look! i can download the new 7900GTX!!"). so why dont the hardware manufactures just make new firmware and software upgrades for say, all the products they have produced from the last 3-5 years? it would be a lot of work, but it will pay in the end and it would be easier than them expecting for everyone to buy the AMD FX-70 or the Nvidia 8200GT or w/e.

Edit: Thx 4 throwing those updates out there!

Windows XP Compatiblitiy Mode...worked like a charm

So 05 is now installed heh.

Still getting stuttering in 01-06 tho...

edit 3: man thats weird...I have multiple tab home assignments in IE7...when i'm clicked on the second tab, and i click Home, it creates my first 4 home page tabs starting from the second tab instead of the first...So i end up with 5 open tabs instead of 4...

edit 4: texturing errors in 3dmark 03, where the colors on the one of the trolls legs are yellowish-white instead of greenish-blue (or whatever color troll legs are...)

Futuremark Suite:

Vista 32-bit

3DMark 01: 13538

3DMark 03: 7740

3dMark 05: 3361

3dMark 06: 1222

Vista 64-bit

3DMark 01: 13233

3DMark 03: 7989

3dMark 05: 3315

3dMark 06: 1296

3DMark03 and 01SE are not technically "compatible" with Vista, according to Futuremark. Only '05 and '06.

click on properties and start menu > customize > and make sure "run command" is checked so it appears in panel.

then do this

You don't have to enable the run command, you can type most anything into the search field and hit enter, it will run.

Just an FYI

no luck getting the files copied and expanded with a Plextor SATA DVD drive

you would think a new OS would have SATA drivers all set to go

vista installer takes about 15 minutes to start up and then sits and "extracts" install files for hours...........

so I need to go get an IDE drive and not use my raid array for vista install to go smoothly.........some upgrade

Have installed the 32bit version and have "luckily" gotten all the drivers to work, except for the Nvidia driver to get the SLI to work... The sli option doesn't show up in the Nvidia Control Panel as their own help file states it does...everything else seems to be running ok, dl'd the beta for winVistB2 from them......any tips? Oh, and the bcdedit thing didn't work for me..says it can't open the boot file?

No SLI capability yet. Hopefully we'll see a new driver soon.

understatement, lol

I've been checking nVidia's ftp site about every two hours since the day beta 2 was released, ha

believe me Soundx98, you and I will be the first ones to know about it :D

read your stuff at Creative's site hawkeye fan. Nicely done.

Can you put it all in a post here with latest revisions so I can link from 1st post in thread por favor?

read your stuff at Creative's site hawkeye fan. Nicely done.

Can you put it all in a post here with latest revisions so I can link from 1st post in thread por favor?

absolutely, will put it on my "to-do" list for today. I have a Rosetta WU finishing up in the next hour, then I'll get on it.

if you don't mind too much, I'll also post the fix I put up for Ideazon Zboard/MERC/Fang

If I can think of anything else weird I've managed to get running in Vista x64, I'll include those as well