The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Hehe, I have Print Spooler disabled as well, but I haven't used my printer in months, so it's probably all gunked up and dead anyways.

The beta drivers from nZone seem to degrade performance for me quite a bit, compared to the default drivers Vista (x86) installed. I mostly notice it at boot up; initializing networking seems to take almost 5x as long, and Pc-Cillin has been using more CPU time (maxes out one of my cores) at initial startup for almost 10-20secs. CTRL+ALT+DEL to taskmanager seems to help it along a little. I rolled back the driver for the video card, to no avail, the nVidia Contol Panel remains, so I am guessing it left some stuff behind. I guess another (:rolleyes:) clean install would solve it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am just down to one issue. I can not boot to any OS with out the

Vista DVD in the drive. If I do not have it in it will look at my CD roms

and then I get this error message:

"Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press enter"

I have to put in the disk and just reboot to get the OS menu screen to

choose Vista or XP64. I do have vistaboot Pro and what I have I have posted

below. CAn anyone help me fix this issue. Right now I have all my hardware

working I am realy liking Vista.

I did check my Bios and they Vista some how changed them. In my boot sequence it went from removable to CD to nothing. Now I went to Removable to CD to HD and that has not solved my issue. I think I have to just be missing a setting.

Can anyone please help me on this?

There are a total of 2 OSes installed into the boot manager.

Current timeout before default boots: 10 seconds.

Default OS: Microsoft Windows

Entry #1

Name: Earlier version of Windows

BCD ID: {ntldr}

Boot Drive: D:

Windows Drive:

System Bootloader: ntldr

Windows Directory:

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows

BCD ID: {current}

Boot Drive: C:

Windows Drive: C:

System Bootloader: Windowssystem32winload.exe

Windows Directory: Windows

I don't want to seem stupid asking this question, but I've searched for the answer for some time now and I simply can't find the solution.

I've been having trouble installing drivers for my onboard sound. I downloaded the latest nforce beta drivers from nvida.com (there is no setup.exe, you have to manually install the drivers) and I simply can't get them to work. For one, upon manually installing the audio drivers, I get nothing -- no working audio. I've tried realtek drivers straight from the website but the driver installation keeps asking that I install the SMBus drivers first -- but I don't know where in the device manager I install these drivers to.

This is what my Device Manager looks like (http://members.cox.net/ben_lit/dm.jpg). Yes, the sound icon in the system tray is disabled because I'm attempting to install drivers directly from realtek but I'm getting the SMBus driver error (microsoft bus driver should be loaded in your system before installing realtek hd audio driver!).

Thanks for the help.

veener88,

You have to install XP then Vista on a seperate partition or hard drive, that's all that's too it. You should not need the VistaBootPro software. If that software is the problem I would recommend checking out their support forum.

Here's the link to the VistaBootPro site

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

Vista should automatically install it's bootloader, giving you the option to chose Windows or older operating systems. Vista wouldn't change your bios settings, btw. Something else must be going on.

ben_lit,

post # 303

...I figured out on one of my earlier installs that the SM-Bus drivers are for nForce PCI System Management.

You should be able to get the nVidia audio drivers from Windows Update, that's the easiest way.

The other multimedia audio controller is my Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card. I'm still having trouble correctly installing the SMBus drivers. Is there any way I can erase all drivers that have been installed, and manually do them all? I'm still confused, and even though this is only a Beta OS, I know that this should be working since other DFI Ultra-D users, etc., have gotten it to work.

I know it's a Beta, but am concerned about support later on when it's an official release....especially for the NF4-sli..etc...Got my copies in the mail...don't know if I want to chance to reformat or just swap in a different drive....oh well....

I'm running Vista i86 on a separate drive. You may wreck your XP partition when attempting to detete Vista after the next version: I know I won't be upgrading the existing Vista partition - new install all the way for me.

Vista is pretty cool, but is beta for sure. A number of issues for MS to iron out, but hacking is no longer going to be as prevelent with the admin restriction on file access. Of course, for those who want to tear out the permissions, like me, that's the chance we take by "living on the edge." :D

hrmm....

the biggest problem that i have right now...rather the thing that makes me the madest...

from what i understand dx10 is going to be vista only......or rather wont run on xp. so microsoft has created an even tighter monopoly on the market by saying if you dont run our NEWEST OS, you cant play the newest games.......i think that if i buy i direct x 10 card and put it in a xp machine, i should be able to get drivers or something that will make this work..

plz plz plz correct me if i am wrong here....ill sleep better if i am...

what is this going to do to people that are dual booting xp and vista....are you gonna be able to assign pci e 16x for vista driect x 10 card, and the 8x for xp and run 2 diff cards?...i see many problems arising....mayb im just drunk..i dont know...ignore me if im sounding stupid

DX10 will be Vista only, as most of XP's core would have to be rewritten in order to function properly with DX10 installed.

MS has this dilemna that it faces everytime they want to move on to the next stage of computing and release new software, not only OSs or DirectX, but Games and other software also;

Do we keep the majority of users happy and keep backwards compatibility, but risk losing performance and security?

Or, do we leave the old technology behind and push for tighter security and faster performance, either way someone will classy lady... who makes us more money?

And that the way the cookie crumbles.... LOL JK

Advancement in technology always has my vote. But I don't buy Dells and use IE, or pay for AOL when I already have a cable ISP so I am not part of that majority. Usually MS has taken the safe road, It's about time they step up their game, and risk having "Bob from accounting" call tech support 3 times a week crying he can't go screwing around in control panel or install his games from home at work.

There are 6 updates for Vista x86 this morning.

Automatic updates installed one labeled Important and after a reboot I clicked “check for updates” and it found 5 more. They appear to be bug fixes, not just security patches.

My system is definitely more responsive, seems to have taken 40secs or so off my login time. Before the new updates, if I typed in my password as soon as the log in screen came up, nothing happened for 10 – 20 secs. I could click the little arrow over and over and would it just sit there not responding. Now, it logs me in and starts up the desktop right away. Everything else seems to be a little snappier too, could be a placebo effect though.

Somebody tell me if x64 has gotten any better, maybe I’ll try it again.