The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I registered on MS then followed the x64 link they emailed and got the ISO in about 4hrs. Setup took about an hour and so far it's all running pretty smooth.

Windows update had the AC97 driver and everything else I needed came on the disk.

Gunna see if 64bit FarCry will work.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuppA-SnipA

hey all, i got some screenies of my vista b2 on my dfi rig, actually im on vista now :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/m82a1/Capture1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/m82a1/3.jpg

and office 2007 b2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/m82a1/b2.jpg

its a nice build of vista, i remember beta 1 being slow as hell

btw guys if u can not download from Ms site, have no fear , use a torrent its not illegal because the beta is public and just use the cd key that u would get in an email while trying to get beta from ms :) cheers

enjoy

anyone running into "Setup could not get information about the disks on you computer" during the initial phase of setup?

I've tried with both the 64 and 32 bit versions, same message. Nothing out of the ordinary with the drives I'm using, and even blowing out my raid and just running the hitachis as seperate independent sata drives, nothing is detected.

Drives are working fine in xp and linux, so bad hardwae isn't a problem. I also have tried 2 different bios versions (the one with the 5.50 raid bios and the 704-2bt), but no difference in the error.

Guest nibs

I dled the 64bit version last night as both my desktop and laptop are 64bit, didn't have any problems using wget. Not sure when I'll get around to installing it to test out. Office 2007 looks weird, and it seems to have issues with scrolling/ cursor placing on my screen where an entire page of a document I was working on wouldn't show up when I tried to scroll. I don't like some of the other changes such as the default margin change to 1in all the way around from 1.25l,r 1t,b. I'm going to continue to use StarOffice/ OpenOffice.org on my machines in the forseeable future, only feature I feel I miss out on not using Microsoft is the grammar checker.

Is everyone running Vista in dual-boot?

Not sure if i want to have it as my sole OS yet... :P

And also, if i Dual Boot

1) will all my documents still be viewable in Vista seeing as they've dropped the "My" bit and:

2) Dual-booting won't format my HDD will it?

Sorry, bit of an OS n00b :P

anyone running into "Setup could not get information about the disks on you computer" during the initial phase of setup?

I've tried with both the 64 and 32 bit versions, same message. Nothing out of the ordinary with the drives I'm using, and even blowing out my raid and just running the hitachis as seperate independent sata drives, nothing is detected.

Drives are working fine in xp and linux, so bad hardwae isn't a problem. I also have tried 2 different bios versions (the one with the 5.50 raid bios and the 704-2bt), but no difference in the error.

Have exactly the same problem, 1 time it did see them but then crashed at the 1st reboot 30 mins later

Well I have the x64 version installed (Using it right now)and got it running pretty good, only problem is that I have to use VLC player to play my videos as I don't think the codecs work right in x64. I also have the x86 version (got them about an hour after announcement, found out by chance) I am thinking of replacing x64 with the x86 version. It's definately much more stable than previous builds and most features work pretty good. Btw I am triple booting MCE, XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate edition build 8384.4 x64. No installation problems and activated with product key I received from microsoft. Updates work too.

Is everyone running Vista in dual-boot?

Not sure if i want to have it as my sole OS yet... :P

And also, if i Dual Boot

1) will all my documents still be viewable in Vista seeing as they've dropped the "My" bit and:

2) Dual-booting won't format my HDD will it?

Sorry, bit of an OS n00b :P

You can use Partition Magic from within XP and resize your original partition and create a new one for Vista.

I would move your "My Documents" folder to a seperate partition, as well and rename them "Documents" (That's what I did and all my OS use the same Documents folder)

Go to "Start" menu, right click on "Documents" select properties, Location tab and click "Move", link to your XP "My Documents" Folder.