The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

strange as I've loaded Vista (all flavors, 32-bit and 64-bit both) on probably 15 machines (and only one of those was a single-core AMD) almost evenly split between AMD X2 dual-cores and Intel Core2 dual-cores.

there must be a setting somewhere in the BIOS to fix this, or maybe some MS Knowledgebase info on it?

Personally, for video and audio encoding, I'd stick to Windows XP. Everything works 100% proper in XP, and works as far as I've tested, BETTER in Windows XP.

But if you are not interested in sticking with XP, then I'd also take a look at the NF3 Ultra-D 939 AGP board you have. There's a reason why Rgone and I got them removed from the USA/CDN retail shelves (unfortunately, about 300 or more of them got sold before we convinced Jacky to recall them off the shelves and never sell those pieces of crap ever again). You might try DFI's new forum to see if anyone else experiences this problem.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent Microsoft an e-mail about this because Microsoft's upgrade advisor indicated that all the hardware would work with Vista (no action necessary).

Also, this is the response I got from Nvidia when inquiring about the problem:

"Hello LBJGH,

This is a known. NVIDIA is still investigating this problem and therefore do not have a solution available. We do know that it seems to affect ATI cards on nForce3 chipsets under Windows Vista when running on an AMD Athlon dual core processor. If a single core processor is used, or a different graphics card model, or under Windows XP, this problem is not present. We will provide an update on our support site with more information once our engineers determine the cause of the problem. It is possible that this may not be fixable however with an nForce driver update from NVIDIA.

Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care"

strange as I've loaded Vista (all flavors, 32-bit and 64-bit both) on probably 15 machines (and only one of those was a single-core AMD) almost evenly split between AMD X2 dual-cores and Intel Core2 dual-cores.

there must be a setting somewhere in the BIOS to fix this, or maybe some MS Knowledgebase info on it?

Didn't nVidia unofficially state they weren't gonna update the nF2 and nF3 chipset drivers for Vista a few weeks back?

According to the nVidia nF3 platform download for Vista you get this...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_32bit_beta1.html

nForce Audio Driver

Version: 4.64

Release Date: July 29, 2005

Alpha Driver

nForce Networking Driver

Version: 5.04

Release Date: July 29, 2005

Alpha Driver

A release date in 2005 sure doesn't look promising especially when it states it's an Alpha Driver.

Here's the kicker...

"NVIDIA has made available the following alpha drivers for Windows Vista Beta 1. The current ForceWare alpha driver is a preview release that will enable you to test the basic features and capabilities of the new operating system. This alpha driver has no performance optimizations included and has received limited stability testing."

I think you should seriously consider abandoning that platform for Vista or go back to XP which has stable drivers.

I think I'm gonna see if I can find someone who is willing to trade their 6800 ultra for my card... That way I'll be able to use the dual core CPU and get comparable gaming performance. Wish me luck.

Didn't nVidia unofficially state they weren't gonna update the nF2 and nF3 chipset drivers for Vista a few weeks back?

I think you should seriously consider abandoning that platform for Vista or go back to XP which has stable drivers.

Hello

I am looking for help with a RAID ISSUE! Arr!

Unfortunately I have been having problems with my RAID 0 array when trying to install vista ultimate 32bit (OEM). XP is currently installed on a healthy sata2 RAID 0 array and everything is working fine.

When installing vista it warns me the drive is unsuitable for installation and I have an option to install the drivers, I use the nf4 raid floppy to install all of the drivers which made the RAID work with XP however vista still tells me the drive is unsuitable for installation!

(NB - I have 2 x 250GB disks which only show up as one combined disk of 250GB on this vista install screen)

The warning also tells me that my bios settings might need changing although, my raid is set up to work in XP, it is healthy, so this isn’t the problem.

So reading about forums I found further drivers which were also meant to make it work and none of them have!

Arr!

I’d like to keep the raid 0 as I don’t want to revert back to 2 separate drives.:sad:

Everything is backed up on an external HDD so I could risk formatting everything although copying the files back and organising again will make my balls ache !

PLEASE HELP!

Any links and advice will be welcomed.

Thanks!

I am looking for help with a RAID ISSUE! Arr!

Unfortunately I have been having problems with my RAID 0 array when trying to install vista ultimate 32bit (OEM). XP is currently installed on a healthy sata2 RAID 0 array and everything is working fine.

When installing vista it warns me the drive is unsuitable for installation and I have an option to install the drivers, I use the nf4 raid floppy to install all of the drivers which made the RAID work with XP however vista still tells me the drive is unsuitable for installation!

(NB - I have 2 x 250GB disks which only show up as one combined disk of 250GB on this vista install screen)

The warning also tells me that my bios settings might need changing although, my raid is set up to work in XP, it is healthy, so this isn’t the problem.

So reading about forums I found further drivers which were also meant to make it work and none of them have!

I’d like to keep the raid 0 as I don’t want to revert back to 2 separate drives.:sad:

Any links and advice will be welcomed.

Here is the link that may help you:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299.html?start=0

okay i just got my copy of vista and i activated it. now i gotta know, if i reformat my hard drive, do i have to activate it again?

If you haven't changed the hardware, you shouldn't have to activate it again.

If you got the upgrade version, here's the trick to doing a "clean install" without needing to install XP first.

Install Vista using the version you have the KEY for but don't use the key.

As soon as you're done with the install reboot one more time.

Now use your media to install the version you have the KEY for and use the KEY this time.

Once the final install is done, crank up DiskCleanUp and remove the old version files. This will remove all the dead files from the first install.

• 1 month later...

Check this out ---> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...gle_changes.asp

Now I like google but why do they think they can tell MS what to do with there os? Becuse they dont like the performance? If google is going to keep this up why dont they just make there own os? Or invest there money into linux so it can compete with MS? I always though windows was software and that MS can make there software how they see fit! I am not saying that I am a MS fanboy, I just dont like hearing stiuped things like he said / she said! But hey now with SP1 for vista we will have google for are search. Am I wrong for thinking the way I do? If so please enliten me. I will listen! I want to understand thing like this!

Microsoft caved on the issue to get some other items they have pending before the DOJ to "disappear". This way MS can appear to be "working" with third party developers while still maintaining control of their own OS.