The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I have looked @ this link http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...5&postcount=190 to see what runs and what don't and for some reason there are things on there that I can’t get to work, like 3d/05/06 and BF2 etc, would this have anything to do with using an 8800GTS? I am using driver version 100.30 from http://www.guru3d.com/, I have also followed the other instructions with success /set work for me not –set

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CsA-TAZ that is a very old post from the Beta 2 days which is why I stressed we make sure we post build number in this section.

Latest Vista x64 is a lot tougher on drivers and programs it will allow to run.

Hey guys, I was at the local comp shop and they had OEM versions of Vista Ultimate for sale. The only strange thing was you had to either pick 64 or 32 to buy. Do you guys think this is only because it is an OEM version? Isn't the boxed version include both? I could save some money going with the OEM version. I plan on installing the 64 bit and going with that even though some say it might be a pain to find drivers. Or would you just pay more and get the boxed version that has both 64 and a 32 for a just in case scenario? Just in case meaning that if half my apps won't run on 64.....Thanks.

The system it will be running on:

ASUS P5WDH

E6600 C2D

2x 1 gig Corsair XMS CL3

X1900 ATI

2x 74 Raptor WD

700 OCZ PSU

The more I read about 64 or 32.....It's giving me more doubts about 64. I know some of you have been running Vista for a while now and love it.....what do you guys think? For a day to day comp......64?? I dont mind installing and re-installing but it's between paying $399 for Vista Ultimate retail box that comes with 32 and 64 bit disk........or choosing either 32 or 64 Vista Ultimate OEM for $200 less.

I think these posts should be in the main Vista thread.

I’ve been running Vista for about 6 months now. I started with x64 then eventually switched to x86, mostly because of driver

support. It’s really the same as with XP vs. XP64, most things work but some things don’t and all in all there’s almost no performance difference.

The only real reason to run an MS 64bit OS is to use more than 4 gigs of RAM, and x86 Vista will use all of 4 gigs.

Hey Angry, I have seen many of your comments regarding XP64. As of this moment......do you still feel the same towards going with Vista 64 considering the small amount of drivers available? If you say no go for Vista 64....I'll return the copy I bought for 32. I seems like the verdict is 50/50 everywhere I read. I need you to help push me towards one or the other. Thanks for your help.

From the top of this page uneedav8

here's my suggestion:

forget Vista

there is ZERO REASON to upgrade to vista

none

zero

nada

most especially for WORK computers (which are considered mission-critical)

if you want vista, wait 6-12 months for a Service Pack to be released, then wait 30-90 days after that as it will take up to 90 days for popular software to be patched to work with a service pack (as any Service Pack usually breaks all the necessary software that you seem to need).

Again, this isn't me being a jerk or anything. It is me being realistic (and watching the nightmare of upgrades to new OS's from Microsoft for the last 10+ years in mission-critical environments....its a total and complete nightmare and unecessary)

From all the post....it seems like lots of people are having problems with Vista and NF4 Raid. I don't get why it is able to see the drives but not used them to boot from what it says near the exclamation mark during setup. It has seemed the same with all the drivers. Is there any way around this without installing XP64 first or using another SATA controller? Is this just a Vista 64 problem? Is this because of PATA and SATA are combined? I'd really appreciate if any can help.