1080p monitor - need a new video card?

hey everyone,

I have just bought a Samsung 244T 24" monitor which runs natively at 1920x1200 (1080p). I will not have chance to hook it up for another 2 weeks or so but am weighing up upgrading my video card to either SLI or a 1900XT single card either option will force me to upgrade my PSU also but wondered what would give the most playable experience at 1920x1200 2 or 4AA and 8/16AF, I haven't managed to come across any benchmarks that compare FEAR, Oblivion etc at that high a resolution on a single 7800gt and other cards!

If anyone has such a high res monitor and a single card how do the games play etc? Do I really need an upgrade to achieve playable native framerates in the latest games?

Matt

hey everyone,

I have just bought a Samsung 244T 24" monitor which runs natively at 1920x1200 (1080p). I will not have chance to hook it up for another 2 weeks or so but am weighing up upgrading my video card to either SLI or a 1900XT single card either option will force me to upgrade my PSU also but wondered what would give the most playable experience at 1920x1200 2 or 4AA and 8/16AF, I haven't managed to come across any benchmarks that compare FEAR, Oblivion etc at that high a resolution on a single 7800gt and other cards!

If anyone has such a high res monitor and a single card how do the games play etc? Do I really need an upgrade to achieve playable native framerates in the latest games?

Matt

man, i remember seeing some benchmarks in that resoultion but i cant find the link now for the life of me... i know nvidia refers to it as Extreme High Definition Gaming or XHD

http://www.evga.com/articles/282.asp

2x7900GT SLI on 1920x1200 on F.E.A.R

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/910/11/pa..._a_r/index.html

Here is another one, but doesn't have F.E.A.R in it...

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5422&page=9

Okay, this is it boss...good one here, but i can't understand why they have no score for the X1900XTX in 1920X1200 AA/AF turned on.....hmmm....odd

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/18/

I just googled and used some TWEAKTOWN articles...

F.E.A.R 1920X1200 BENCH <----searched for this

Note: Hey man, i got to say, that's a great designed SIG dude, nice job! :)

ahh ok

and thanks ;) although the more i look at it, the more i see things im gonna change when i get home from work :P

Like what, it seems fine to me. I really think you should put the components in order (i.e. MOTHERBOARD, CPU, RAM, HD, OPTICAL, PSU" or something like that, but i see how you have got it managed there....from long to short sentence..hehe.

you got it!

I'm probably going to move all the words over more so the text matches the slope of the "bubbles" more. I dunno, once i get home i'll mess with it and see if its any better

This is the one that i made for myself for use over @ overclockersclub.com

OCC-sig.jpg

unlike here...they have a constant background for their boards, so i was able to put that background in my sig & save it as a jpeg so the outer glow looks great.

thanks for your help guys - think I will be alright with some of the AA and AF turned down to start with, but I think I will hang on for either the next gen of cards and definately one with HDCP support!

Matt

Uh..., why do you want HDCP?

To screw over your experience?

Anyways not all games supporte it for sure, and windows looks horrible.

Grand theft auto san andrease does'nt, but gta vice city and gta III do :.

I have'nt tried any other games in some time now so I dn.

Games like unreal/ut where you got an ini to mod, well those even if they did'nt support it would probably work, as long as you could mod the config.

Gtasa, even fif you mod it, it won't work.

Even the new patch which says adds support for it, does'nt work in that mode.

And I know what I'm doing yes...

Halo probably supports it anyways come to think of it...

Any nv card supports it from the gf4 ti's and up at a very min.

Oh, edit:

Any nv card from the gf4 ti and up, supports 2x 1080p ;).

I got my monitor for like $80-$100 I dn how much exactly because it was my bday present but it was a very cheap montintor, just not perfect but hey ^^.