Why Do You Choose to OC Intel's?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not much of an AMD fan as ive only owned intel. so i cant say anything about AMD. but it boils down to the fact ive had such good luck with intel . i have put my intel through some of the most intense overclocking boot camp. i have a 3.2 640 but before that i had a 530 prescott and is far from a great clocker. but did have it at 3.76 rock stable. in my opinion that as a pretty good clock considering the cpu.

http://usera.imagecave.com/soulless203/cpu-3766.bmp.jpg

i admit my first thought of an AMD is "AMD sucks i dont like AMD , intel is better" well i never owned an AMD. i know nothing about an AMD. A dog doesnt like things it dont understand, some ppl have very similar qualities. (not intended for anybody here). understand it before you bash it.

:cool:

Your Order Detail

Item Description

In Stock

Part # QTY

Price

Ext. Price

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Cache Retail Box

2-5 business days 19144 1 $419.98 $419.98

Shipping and Handling $15.00

Shipping Insurance with 30 Days Express RMA (3.00%): $12.60

SUBTOTAL: $447.58

No PST - Outside BC residents

GST(6%): $26.85

YOUR TOTAL:

All quoted prices are in CANADIAN DOLLARS $474.43

• 2 weeks later...

In all seriousness, have anyone ever experienced this, too? Ever since I had my first AMD rig (Athlon XP 2500+ OCed to 2.2 GHz), any and all Intel machines (even the P4 3.0c I replaced my AMD with) just seems to be less "snappy" in winxp. This is even more noticable during disk activities, including burning CDs/DVDs.

I had a P3-1 GHz home server and just couldn't stand it anymore. I could barely navigate to do any chores on it (DL patches, move or copy files) while it is up and running (and there are only a few computers that uses it - mostly my Media Center).

When I finally retired my Athlon XP machine so I can use it as a server, it was a world of difference.

Now, don't tell me that it was because it was a 1 GHZ vs 2 GHz difference because it also happens with my P4 3.0c.

For that reason alone, I have shyed away from Intel for a long time.

I will, of course, test out the Conroe 2 Duo before jumping in.

I am not a fanboy of either company. My first gaming rig was a P2-450 during the VooDoo2 era (and that CPU was the fastest in its day - it cost me $900 for just the CPU!). I still liked that platform, as with the same mobo (Asus P2B - gotta love the 440BX chipset!), I was able to upgrade it to a Celeron 900 (OCed to 1 GHz and beyond).

But it was here I started to noticed the disk access sluggishness after another upgrade to an Athlon XP 2500+.

It has to be a chipset issue, since I once had a Comapq laptop that uses the ATI chipset for a AMD Athlon XP mobile that exhibited the problem even worse.

Bah, Im ranting cuz its late and I lost all sense of putting words together, lol.

Not trying to be offensive or a smartass. I just don't understand why you guys chose the Intels over the AMD's?

The AMD's are cooler, and usually win in just about every benchmark... I don't hate Intel, I think Conroe is going to kick butt.

I just think that this generation AMD's are much better than Intels.

Why did you guys choose to buy Intel's?

PS: Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smartass... ;)

All true when posted in April 06, now all wrong in August 06, it will probably be true again in September 07! WoW :confused:

• 3 weeks later...