Why Do You Choose to OC Intel's?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! I'm not even able to argue with you on that H_G.. lol

I'm expecting about a 20% gain in performance, then maybe an equal gain from AMD down the road a little.

well, at stock speeds I think we are looking at about 20%

but these Conroe cpu's seem to easily be able to hit 3.5Ghz (most seem to do 4Ghz pretty easily if you got some good mem/mobo setup)

with that much increase in clock...I'm thinking we are hopefully looking at about a 50% increase in the software we want to run (specifically games and encoding).

Of course, the instant I get a processor and my NDA is lifted I will give you some real-world results (not some superpi junk that tells me nothing other than it does superpi faster than any previous cpu)

How's the overall feel of that 975X Infinity? From a clocker/gamer viewpoint?

For the short amount time I owned my Dothan setup I was very impressed, it would just about keep keep up with my 146. I dumped it along with my Xeon workstation a little while ago to cover the cost of a new laptop. (400mhz 600E just wasn't cutting it anymore). My first dualcore will be a T2400 Powered Dell Laptop.

To tell you the truth I'm kind of missing my Intel stuff. I still miss my 875B and 3.4 prescott.

1. How's the overall feel of that 975X Infinity? From a clocker/gamer viewpoint?

2. To tell you the truth I'm kind of missing my Intel stuff. I still miss my 875B and 3.4 prescott.

1. Well...it's hard to tell with only a P4 520 (2.8Ghz, 1MB L2 Prescott)

even with an X1900XT you can see the scores @ 3500Mhz are not too bad...but I've not really attempted gaming on it, and I've not attempted Crossfire on it yet either

honestly...no one on this earth is going to put a Pentium4 520 in this board (if they do they are crazy or poor or both lol)

I'm gonna maybe get more into the board itself once I get either a Conroe or Pentium D 805 and see if it will hit 4Ghz

I feel like the board has some serious potential

but like every board...it has some growing pains and it needs a little BIOS love...but right out of the box on the initial bios a pretty simple 700Mhz overclock without really doing much other than giving it cpu voltage...I'd say that's a real good sign ;)

2. No you don't...trust me...the "responsive" feel of the old Prescott just isn't giving me the same joy that even a 3200+ Venice at stock speed does...I can't say I miss the old Prescott cpu.

my Pentium D 930 on the Asus setup however is pretty snappy...but it still feels...like it's missing a cylinder compared to my sig-rig lol

I'm really excited about Conroe. And even more happy that Intel isn't going to require a socket change for Conroe.

My friend right now is building a really cheap server. I think he's using the 805D and upgrading to Conroe in December.

I think Intel got it right with Conroe. Its going to be interesting to see how things turn out.

The last Intel system I got was a Optiplex GXa; 384Mb RAM and upgraded CPU from 233MHz to 333Mhz, all parts are original, and I still have it running as a small file server, hehe. I miss the old-school stability, but it's like new cars; the more crap you put in it/attach to it, the more problems you are likely to have, imo. I am actually contemplating getting an Intel machine going, but I am very happy with what I have now.

Edit

Just checked the uptime on that PC and it's been running for 429 days straight, I think the last time it got rebooted was to attach another drive.

Besides the 805 at this time AMD is still the better buy. For a server type box i would HIGHLY recommend a 805. Even at stock speeds its a great CPU. My cpu score in 2006 is almost exactly the same as your 170 (with the 805 @ 4.0).

I use a dual p3 600 as my Server with SB 2003, a 300mhz p2 as my linux router, 1.0ghz p4as a web surfing box, a tbird 1.2 as a mp3/file server/jukebox/wintv box and a 1.0 tbird as a Mame box.

They are all reliable. AMD hasnt had any problems since the k-5 days as far as being reliable. For the most part i think its been the price vs. performance choice for me.

Guest YuKoN

I guess it really boils down to experience. I have more experience with intel. I've always found them to be rock solid reliable. For me the decision was only practical to oc an intel. This intel(although it's not the best overclocker) still runs at over 4ghz daily, no crashes, no surprises. And so what if an AMD scores higher on the so called e-penis measurement! This machine is no slacker. I play BF2 smooth as butter on high settings, 4xAA, at 1280x1024 all day long without a hiccup.

Conroe has a lot of people excited, myself included. Nice to see Intel on top even if it is only for a short while. Hopefully Intel will continue with conroe- and the next generation quad processors aimed at the enthusiast market. It seems they'll have to, to remain competetive. This will benefit us all.

also notice that all of these guys are showing you 1MB superpi times but no one is really showing you any real gaming benchmarks or any real 'meat' benchmarks

i dont know anyone who buys something based on superpi

I sure wouldnt do such a thing

I want to know that if it does 12s superpi times, it will do 100fps more in Oblivion than my current FX-60 speed AMD64 X2.

I want to know if 12s superpi translates into my rendering a 1.25GB DV video tutorial in less than half the time it takes my FX-60 speed AMD64 X2

I want to know if 12s superpi translates into real world benefits or if it is just some "e-penis" measurement that has no real bearing on anything other than someone claiming they can do 12s superpi (because lets be honest...what REAL software uses superpi? oh yeah...NONE...thank you, drive through)

Conroe Oblivion test:

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 15 | Avg 83.993 | Max 689

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 29 | Avg 132.776 | Max 1546

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=185555

So yeah, a few 100 fps better :P

So yeah, a few 100 fps better

um

no

you have to look at the average, not hte min/max frames

but a good 40+ fps better average is a good number I'll admit!

ps derek...rule #10...please go re-read it and follow it thx

Conroe Oblivion test:

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 15 | Avg 83.993 | Max 689

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 29 | Avg 132.776 | Max 1546

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=185555

So yeah, a few 100 fps better :P

That is just amazing to have double the frame rate at the same clock speed. Not only that but Conroe can go higher than 3 GHz.

That is just amazing to have double the frame rate at the same clock speed. Not only that but Conroe can go higher than 3 GHz.

Note that there is no internal bencmarking tool in that game so he is uing fraps. The frame rate can varie highly depending on where he goes in the game and how long he spends in diffrent areas though the general idea that one is faster should hold. Note one test took 15 min and the other took 29 min not exatly consistant.

Not saying that this isnt the best thing sence sliced bread but the tests are only as valuable as the test method is consistant. Also dontforget that htere were some P4's that were to dog slow to give away but still had good super Pi times.

Glad to see thre is something to get excited about other than better video cards.