Ram passes memtest, still just beeps

Okay ive been searching these forums for a few days found various posts about this problem but i never seem to see solutions, here we go.. ive run memtest on both sticks of the 512 corsair xms ram i have and it passes (only for 30 mins each )

im quite new to this stuff, but when i run 1 stick in #2 (orange) its fine, it completes 30 mins on memtest with no errors at all, tried the other stick did the same that was fine too, now when i try and run the 2 of them together i get that horrible sounding dram error beep, and i get this whether i run the ram in slots #1/#3 or #2/#4 ALSO 1 single bit of ram wont work if i run it in jusyt #3/#4.. this tells me that only slots 1/2 are working correctly, i know theres been alot of posts about people having these problems, but they just seem to go quiet..

what have people done ? sent the boards off ? only ran their ram in single channel ?

ive also seen people having this problem with various types of ram, so i dont really wanna go out spending a fortune on more ram to find i have the same problem..

help pleasE :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually it doesnt tell you only slots 1/2 are working correctly, because with one stick of memory they are the only ones supposed to work correctly.

i know my corsair stuff only runs in the yellow slots, but im replacing it anyway. Best way to be sure is to boot with 1 stick, set some loose timings, and then try and boot in dual channel. DFI boards to tend to dislike corsair, but with loose timings most of it can be made to work.

what timings are you running it at the moment. Also 30 minutes of memtest means jack all in terms of getting into windows, but at least its showing up!

do you have any mates with decent ram you can borrow to test your board?

2-2-2-5 t1 im running at the mo

my mates think im a geek, so no they only have the cheapest of the cheap ram :)

if only this was true, im more of a wannabe geek..

also im running the standard bios, cant tell you exactly what it is cause ive got windows installing at the mo, but i havent flashed it at all

it passes (only for 30 mins each )
as davey_crocket said, proves virtually squat you need upto 3 hours b4 you can say memory is stable.

try increasing ram voltage a notch when running both modules.

DONT try to flash or install xp until you have memory stable 1st may fubar your bios chip 2nd wis probably a waste of time.

its stable with 1 stick dude, but just beeps with 2... windows installed fine, ive clocked the cpu straight to 270x9 and its booting up fine, the problem only rears its head if i try and plug the other 512 ram in :/

sounds like a board problem coz like you said your sticks both work independantly. if you cant test your RAM pair in another board take them to PCworld or another computer store an have em checked in dual channel by a tech there. then if theyre fine RMA your MB

ahh i ws hoping that didnt have to happen, oh well.. is there any chance they still take it without the reciept ? my dogs got into my room, ate my gfx card box, my cpu cooler box and the pc stuf i had in there, invoices and recipets :(

i ran the ram in my old cheap n nasty system for 2 months with no problems what so ever :/

The only thing you have shown is that the memory settings will work in single channel but not dual channel. The reason the threads you were looking at had no ending is most figure out good settings for dual channel and just don't come back to close thread.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Boot with one stick in dimm2. Go into the DRAM config and set a divider of 1/02. Now put the second module in dimm 4 and try to boot.

hmm same problem, all powers up and dram beeper starts going off..

im new to all this stuff, so im not too sure about fiddling with alot of timings ETC.. dont know what will improve and what will break if you know what i mean

right, you think flashing the bios will help this issue or have no affect, also, i know ive lost the reciept but are dfi likely to take it back for testing, and if i were to flash the bios would it void the warrenty anyways ? cheers