Overclocking my opty 170

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am I to clean the cpu and the bottom of the hsf before reinstalling? or shall I just uninstall and reinstall it?

I have AS5 so its not a problem either way.....just wondered??

Thanks for your time and help...

Well I even go as far as hand laping with micro fine paper or XXX steel wool and then go at it with polishing compound. I dont think there really is a better paste than AS-5. Before the new bracket's [64bit] came out i used to seat my HS and then give it a little shift back and forth one time to make sure It seated properly. Also the use of to much paste can hamper cooling from what I hear,with the new full sized anvil's we have now I guess I actually use a full BB's worth instead of half and I still use a matchbook cover to spread it any excess stayed on the paper. I dont think you have a seating problem these duall cores just get hotter than the single core's do I hit 2700mhz or 500-OC at 1.44 Vcore at 50C at 100% and am stabel so far. Also im running twice the fan's you are and mine still build's up heat after severall hour's of 2XPrime95. I transcoded a xvid to dvd today 90min movey in about 28min then another few to copy from temp file to target folder using nero.

Im sure if I went with watter I could hit 2800 but I dont think it';s worth it. I just run a regular everyday game box I can burn on. Im comeing to believe that the only way to really go any further is to remove the Anvil to keep the temp's down there are instruction's on how to do that in these fourm's-alot of guy's are doing it. Im not going to be one of them the idea of taking a exacto knife to a 350 or 400 dollar cpu just seam's allittle crazy to me just to get 2or 3 hundred more out of my cpu. I came pretty cloase to making a offer on a Opty-165 That had already been done. I do wish you luck ===BA===

Hey thanks for your reply, comments and suggestions they are most appreciated :)

I dont think you have a seating problem these duall cores just get hotter than the single core's do I hit 2700mhz or 500-OC at 1.44 Vcore at 50C at 100% and am stabel so far
I researched the stepping and it was supposedly a good un so therefore I thought about exploring diff avenues i.e. reseating the HSF however what you say is 100% true....

Im sure if I went with water I could hit 2800 possibly 3000 but I dont think it';s worth it
I totally agree for a 100 - 200mhz overclock is it really worth forking out that much....

I primed stable yesterday on 270fsb @ 1.45 although temps were 55 - 57c in smart guardian...So after an hour I stopped priming......I am actually wondering whether I should remain at 270fsb or if I should decrease it slightly so my temps are closer to 50c than to 60c...

Although the idea of running stable at 270 is somewhat reassuring as its running faster than the FX 60 :)

I will start on the RAM today/tomoz and once I find the best divider I will again try and go at 280fsb hoping OC'ing the RAM will help lower the temp of the CPU...

Its all good fun as its primarily trial and error and even if I manage to stay at 270fsb I will be a happy bunny as like yourself my machine is on 24/7....

AFAIK removing the IH5 is not something I would like to get involved in either....Tbh a 700mhz overclock to me is very decent indeed :)

Thanks for your reply and comments...any other comments and suggestions would be most appreciated...:)

cheers!!!!

I would be sure to reseat my HSF if I saw temps that high on a 1.4v overclock. Clean it down with some cutton buds or paper towels, 100%Acetone, then some 99% rubbing alcohol and finally a lil compressed air in a can to get rid of any particles. As to how much AS5 to apply thats down to you, but I'm having great success with just over a rice size amount in the middle of the chip.

Overclocking the ram will not lower your temps, it will increase them if you start throwing more volts at them. Only ways I know of reducing temps are to increase airflow, watercool or drop voltages... or simply take the side off ya case of course :)

I'm currently running 2690 prime stable and temps are around 46cpu, 55PWMIC, 48chipset and thats at 1.55v. I'm going to start dropping the volts now until it's unstable and then check temps again.

I used the "OC Guide" here to start me going and I got upto 2800 on SuperPI, but failed OCCT. OCCT only passed my CPU at 2750 but prime returned errors on one of my cores at that after 50mins or so. So in the end I had to drop it back to 2690 which seems to be the prime spot. I would suggest running prime for an hour on each check. If stable then go for the overnight.

Just my thoughts as always, but keep an eye on them temps.

My 0546 XPMW does 2.6Ghz at stock volts, and never hits 45 degrees full load. 2.7Ghz takes 1.3 + 110% to be prime stable but I can run this setup fully stable using Cool n Quiet also meaning I don't get the idle temps and the full load temps hit around 48-49 degrees. I would go higher that 110% if I had water and would aim for 2.8-2.9 but as it is I'm happy with the performance!!

Matt

how much AS-5 do you suggest applying? the amount of a rice granule? or some more?

would you recommend spreading it all over the IHS evenly or just in the middle in the shape of a small square around the IHS??

Please advise..

Cheers!!!

I followed those instructions. I cleaned the heatspreader with isopropyl alcohol thoroughly, and the base of the SI-120. Then just popped a rice grain sized bit in the middle of the heatspreader and made sure the heatsink was applied square-on so the arctic silver was spread evenly from the centre.

After 200 hours of curing it must be working because the full load temps drop down extremely quickly when the load is released!

Matt