Sign in to follow this  
Puma/Sire

Magnetic screwdriver

I've always wondered, if you use a magnetic screwdriver to install your mother board or components could it damage anything?

Guest phoenixdancer

yes it could so dont stick it on the mobo for to long :rolleyes:

fact is i use one to collect the screws that missed the holes :sweat:

...Maybe if you got too close to the Bios chip....but I don't think it'd be strong enough to seriously corrupt it, not sure though.

That’s exactly what I used to install my motherboard. Don’t know how I could have got those screws into those places without it. I was careful not to touch the motherboard at all with the screwdriver. Probably the most valuable tool I used in my build was that magnetic screwdriver.

Second most valuable tool was my camera. Instead of trying to ask a tricky question, I would just take a photo, and post it with a simpler question. A picture is worth 1,000 words, and it got me quick answers that were right on, cause they could see what I was talking about.

I ever touched a board (nForce2 based) with a screwdriver in the past while the board was running,

well, the system immediately restarted itself,

but the board seemed to have no problems until the next couple months, I sold the board at last :)

so I think it's OK to use the screwdriver as long as the board has been powered off :D:P

Guest shaolin95

Used to do it without problem but not anymore just in case as my hardware has been getting more expensive :-)

Guest caffeinejunkie

Yeah technos right

the only thing that the screwdriver could prove volatile to is the bios

you probably have a better chance of slipping and breaking traces then doing any damage with a small magnet

well then there is harddrives but I doubt the magnet on a screwdriver is powerful enough to wipe any data

If you can spin the screwdriver really fast it may induce such a high current into one of the components that it will fry it. :nod: