My Friend Blows at Overclocking...

Yeah... I'm not sure if he'll do it again. Currently... he wants to burn the processor in to see if it will go further.

I told him he already "burned" his processor real good and this probably wouldn't do anything.

Needless to say... he wasn't happy....

Guest shaolin95

Funny story...it goes to show that street knowledge is just as important as anything else out there.

Guest thespin

Unfortunately, we tend to make the assumption that because someone is studying an 'engineering' discipline then that gives the person some special insight into computer hardware/software which may be completely unrelated to the person's field of study. In fact, many people tend to assume that 'scientists' and 'doctors' have some special insight into human problems in general and are more capable of solving them than other laymen. [And many 'scientists' and 'doctors' take advantage of that assumption and write nonsensical books completely outside their field of study. Even worse for monetary gain they endorse the most exploitative books and products (especially medical) created by con artists.]

There is a member of this forum with this cynical reassurance in their sig, "I am an engineer - trust me."

So a doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer are out on the links for a few rounds. They get thier golf carts loaded up and head toward the first hole.

Ahead of them, three of the worst golfers the course has ever seen, are making a mockery of the sport. One swings and misses, repeatedly. The next puts it directly into the rough, and they actually cheer for him.

The third cant seem to find his tee, and while he's struggling the lawyer asks a caddy "What is the deal with these players? They're horrible!"

The caddy with a solemn look replied "They're firefighters, and they all lost thier sight saving the proprieters family at his home several years ago. He allows them free play anytime they like to show his gratitude for thier sacrifice."

To this the Lawyer says "That's very kind of him, I'd do the same if it was me."

The Doctor replies "I agree, it's a very honourable gesture on the owners part!"

And at this point, the engineer with a perplexed expression exclaims "But why can't they just play at night?!?"

Your friend reminds me of the guy I knew 10 years ago who decided that any fool could take off and remount a CPU HSF unit... and he cleaned off the thermal pad and decided from something her remembered from a techie magazine that the CPU should have "some white stuff" on the top before the HSF goes on.

In his infinite wannabee engineering student foolishness, he proceeded to produce nonsensical equations that 'proved' that Vaseline Petroleum Jelly would suffice as the TIM. Needless to say, the rig lasted about 90 seconds after he turned it on, enough time for the petrolatum to liquify and rapidly dissapate. LOL Goodbye Pentium!

I respect engineers, and yes, I've broken stuff doing this too, but you HAVE to be kind of reasonable and deliberate about it, not be NASA deciding that the O-rings on the rocket won't fail, even though they are 30C below design tolerances.

I am an accountant... not an engineer. I'm not really even an accountant, I'm an I/T guy, Graphic Artist, Systems Designer and a host of other things... I'm a jack of all trades, master of none... but overclocking RIGHT is not rocket science, only the modern equivalent of amateur radio and the other hacker-geeks stuff from the past.

So remember: DON'T USE VASELINE on your CPU, DAMMIT!

:sweat:;);););)