My Friend Blows at Overclocking...

Okay... so my friend gets a Opteron 165 CCBWE 0546 I think. He can't overclock it to past 2.2 ghz stable. So he decides to cut his heatspreader off. He does successfully.

However, he didn't put his XP-120 back on quite correctly. It wasn't touching the CPU, he turns the PC on multiple times wondering why its restarting randomly. He finally notices this. Too late. The CPU won't OC at all at stock voltages. So he bumps voltages up to 1.55. The CPU OC's about 150 mhz. Turns out he heat damaged his processor at all.

Now he's running stock at 1.8ghz. I don't know what else to say. The whole point of him doing this himself, is because he wanted to prove to me that OC'ing was easy and anyone could do it. Quite obviously untrue. BTW... it won't pass P95 for more than 4hours at a 150mhz OC.

I have to say this is just about the worst Opty 165 OC I've ever seen...

However, because we're friends. I forgive his stupidity. However... another Opteron Bites the Dust...

PS: He's using the SLI EVGA mobo that came free with the 7800GT video cards. Its not bad. OC'es fairly well. But it ain't no DFI. He also insists that the mobo is just as good as DFI and I overpaid for my mobo. I told him I have a deep love affair with DFI...lol... which I do....

Comments?

Im curious you go to GA Tech?...Are you two engineering types?....And also, yeah I have a friend that believes he is a computing genius and because he Co-ops at AMD he is going to build the most amazing OC'ed computer on the planet, He has yet to build this wonder of the modern world, and is telling me day and nite that his processor hes getting from one of the guys at AMD is giong to destroy my rig, and so on and so forth.....Its just one of those things. Everyone is out to prove that they are better than you or someone else, I say just be happy with what you have and enjoy it.

Im curious you go to GA Tech?...Are you two engineering types?....And also, yeah I have a friend that believes he is a computing genius and because he Co-ops at AMD he is going to build the most amazing OC'ed computer on the planet, He has yet to build this wonder of the modern world, and is telling me day and nite that his processor hes getting from one of the guys at AMD is giong to destroy my rig, and so on and so forth.....Its just one of those things. Everyone is out to prove that they are better than you or someone else, I say just be happy with what you have and enjoy it.

I'm a biomedical engineer major...

He's a materials and polymer engineering major...

Yeah I am an Electircal along with the person I mentioned in my post, there is a group of about 10 of us that attempt to out do one another constantly, and things like this happen all the time...

Healthy competition and trying to be better at something than the nexy guy is how everything improves. Some stuff gets wrecked along the way, and that's just the way it is. I always give credit to those that try and fail, get back up and try again.

Healthy competition and trying to be better at something than the nexy guy is how everything improves. Some stuff gets wrecked along the way, and that's just the way it is. I always give credit to those that try and fail, get back up and try again.

Nice positive attitude you got there...

I, on the other hand, love to point and laugh at the smug ones that think they are better than you, etc.

Why don't you borrow his chip and put it in your rig and see what it can do there despite the fact he broke it. Then again, if you can't OC it any better than him he likely won't be able to process the fact that the reason it won't is because he ruined it. No matter how great the MoBo, a broken CPU, is broken CPU.

I agree with techno, im not an engineer personally but i have 3 friends that are and lets just say they may be brilliant engineers but when it comes to common sense their a bit lacking.