Sign in to follow this  
roystont5038

Can I properly use a CPU not listed by DFI as supported by my motherbo

Hi,

In response to my request for help, I have been advised on this forum that the Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D motherboard supports AMD FX and X2 CPUs, provided I upgrade my BIOS. Good.

When I looked to upgrade my BIOS for this board, the most recent on the DFI website was the NF3ID711 dated 21 July 2005.

What I really want to do is to instal a meaningful upgrade to my CPU, say the latest AMD FX CPU the FX60 which came out in January 2006. Or even the X2 4800+, both of which are not listed on the DFI website as supported by my motherboard.

So essentially my question is - is it possible/advisable to instal a CPU not in the DFI list as supported by my motherboard? Will it be recognised in the BIOS, and by Windows? Will I be able to set it in the BIOS to the multiplier (13) and other settings needed for it to work at its full capacity?

Many thanks for your advice

Palmer.

You may want to PM AG or something. I don't honestly have a clue. I want to say it would work but I would hate to be the cause of a $1,000 boo boo. :shake:

Well, Opteron's aren't officially supported on NF4 desktop class motherboards either, but you'll find a ton of people using them.

I know for a fact that an X2 up to 4200 will work in that board with the correct BIOS. So I don't see what would keep you from squeaking a 4800 in their.

Do a search here at the Street, I remember seeing a thread just the other day on a forum member who had a FX60 installed in his socket939 NF3 board.

Hi,

Has anyone a ctually installed an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual 2400 MHZ CPU on a DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D motherboard running the 711 BIOS?

Please share your experience.

Roystont5038

The latest bios for that board is the 12/19 Beta with Dual core support.

I would think it would work BUT

what's not supported mean?

Means if you have an issue you are on your own.

Use a beta bios and the mobo dies = Not covered under warranty.

Rumors of big AMD x2 price cuts in July. May want to wait and see what shakes out or maybe more to NF4 or AM2.

Sorry.

Typing error in above post. Pressed the wrong key.

Anyway, I was going to say that I have actully tried to run Bios 19/12 about 4 separate times. Each time i had to abort (with great difficulty) because windows would not boot. Variously worded blue screens intervened.

So I am still with Bios 711, and still in two minds whether it is worth spending a fair amount of money to try to upgrade to the X2 4800+.

roystont5038

What do I do if the 711 Bios does not recognise the 4800+?

roystont5038

What do I do if the 711 Bios does not recognise the 4800+?

How about waiting about one month (see if the price drop rumors come to fruition) and pick up a 175 Denmark instead. Take the money you saved from buying the Denmark instead of the x2 4800 and the savings from price cuts next month and buy you a new m/b. The NF4 SLi-DR is a solid choice, and if you wanna go for the Benz snag you up an Expert.

Then you wouldn't have much to worry about for a while.