New DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-MR2/G

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest burningrave101
Tuesday lol

Dont joke about something like that because i would be very happy if this board was released tommorrow lol :P.

Guest burningrave101

They just better make sure this board reads accurate temps and isn't like the Expert/Venus fiasco of being off 10C!! Put some decent voltage and temp sensors on this thing.

Thats a good advice... a BIOS option to adjust the temperature reading, at least for CPU, so even if one BIOS version has a temperature bug you could still adjust it to real numbers.

Its only the reading, the CPU temperature remains the same... and I don't think its a sensor error but actually an algorithm bug while calculating the temperature.

They just better make sure this board reads accurate temps and isn't like the Expert/Venus fiasco of being off 10C!! Put some decent voltage and temp sensors on this thing.

who knows what the heck they are going to do each time lol

its always a surprise to me too

they love to make a board that will overclock 7800% but still can't read temps correctly lol

i guess personally I prefer the board that can overclock until this forum ignites spontaneously from afar and has a 1C - 10C discrepancy on the temp monitoring..

i guess personally I prefer the board that can overclock until this forum ignites spontaneously from afar and has a 1C - 10C discrepancy on the temp monitoring..

Well guess what HG... my SLI-DR has a cpu temperature error of 0.23° C... :shake:

People are funny, indeed they are... I have used a ton of external temperature probes and to be honest, the real CPU temperature is what should matter. Some people don't feel comfortable when someone says his/her idle temperature is 30° C when theirs is 20° C... do they really thing both cpu's have diferent temperatures? :confused:

Guest pedro

Question (perhaps a stupid one): If I stick an 'Energy Efficient' X2 3800+ running at 35 W in one of these new boards will I see any noticable difference between 667 and 800 DDR2 RAM? That is, will it be worthwhile to buy the more expensive 800 DDR2? I don't intend to overclock.

EPP...

It's an update to the SPD, where there's a bunch of unused bytes at the bottem, now some of them are gonan be used.

That's where some new timings are gonna be stored for these new nv chipsets.

I wonder if dfi will allow people to adjust some of these on there own?

I dn even know what they are...

Anyone got like a spec on this new tech, the epp thingy?

Sorrento

Yeah I agree.

When someone is 5-10c lower, maybe there cooling is just working better :.

I dn.

As long as it's stable 24/7 it's all good.

Guest burningrave101
Well guess what HG... my SLI-DR has a cpu temperature error of 0.23° C... :shake:

People are funny, indeed they are... I have used a ton of external temperature probes and to be honest, the real CPU temperature is what should matter. Some people don't feel comfortable when someone says his/her idle temperature is 30° C when theirs is 20° C... do they really thing both cpu's have diferent temperatures? :confused:

Different revisions and steppings will have different temperatures yes. External temp probes dont work that well for accurate CPU temp readings ither because the processor is never going to get as hot on the outside of the IHS as it is inside where the thermal diode is located. You should be able to get more accurate readings though if you remove the IHS. And if anyone says their processor is running at 20C then they had better have extreme cooling or they're lieing because thats 68F :P.

The thing with temperature readings is that you want them to be accurate for overclocking because then you can get an idea at how hot a certain processor can usually run before it starts becoming unstable. If your board is off by 8C and anothers is off by 10C and another is off by 15C then nobody is going to be able to help anybody with average temps unless they know EXACTLY how far off their board is.

attaching a temperature probe to the side of the IHS will measure the same temperature the old AthlonXP processors had in some motherboards: CPU temperature minus 10° C. You can then adjust this diference to know the real cpu temperature... I don't see the problem since all you want is two temperature readings to make sure both are right, or to know when the cpu might be in danger.

The AMD64's and PIV LGA775 can work at very high temperatures, and when these temperatures exceed the highest recomended limit errors start to show up. You could also adjust a setting in BIOS to shut down the system when a certain level is achieved to make sure the cpu isn't in any real danger.

With watercooling the water temperature could be a better indication of how good the cooling system is working, something like "if its at 30° C then everything is OK" regardless of the cpu real temperature.

Good luck

I wonder if the CPU itself running at stock (volts, everything else) could give an accurate, reliable, and constant temperature baseline?

Of course it would have to be per process (130 vs 90), stepping, multiplier, at a given ambient air temp, and so on.

But perhaps this could give an indication how close the BIOS reading was?

Then we would know (at least roughly) how much to adjust the temp readings.

I don't think we need to be spot-on, just fairly close to reality.

There must be tables of these temps somewhere - anyone have a link?

Or is this yet another dumb idea?

Guest burningrave101

Angry, its Tuesday, where is my DFI NF590 SLI motherboard? :P