New DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-MR2/G

update:

ok, looks like for the moment we've figured out that it is a specific setting in the bios that is worded incorrectly (or is set incorrectly/backwards...ie: on = really off, and off = really on...Taiwan will fix this tonight)

The setting is the bottom of the Genie BIOS section, called:

ACPI XSDT Table

by default it is supposed to be Enabled

the text descriptor next to it says "do not enable for 32-bit Windows XP/2k, only enable for 64-bit Windows"

so naturally we would disable that since we still use 32-bit mostly....except disabling it = machine will reboot during Windows setup (blue DOS-like part at the beginning).

So leaving it enabled will allow Windows 32-bit to properly install. There's also a small issue where sometimes after Load Optimized Defaults the setting shows Enabled yet it is apparently not truly enabled as it gives the same reboot cycling during Setup.

Disabling this for 64-bit setup will not cause a reboot, but will cause setup to hang (right at the part where 32-bit would cause the system to reboot).

Rgone, Frank, Shawn (office tech), and I are all sitting at the desktop right now with this setting enabled.

I apologize for being harsh, but I would rather have users wait until we resolve the problem before everyone purchases one then comes back here yelling about their POS board doesn't do anything but reboot during setup no matter what cpu, RAM, video, psu, RAM timings, etc are used.

I always advocate letting some of us who either get this hardware for free or have money to burn and are adventurous to get in a week or two with it before you rush right out and buy it because your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

It doesn't mean the board is a POS. It simply means it is brand new, and you'd be wise to allow us some time to get familiar with it in the off chance that there is a problem such as we faced with it today. If we have a week or two with the product, it allows tech support as well as good forum users a change to really get to know it, and resolve any issues that might crop up, so that way instead of you coming here yelling about your POS that doesn't work, you can find out that we've already faced this problem and have provided a viable, working solution or alternative.

It is my way of saying "don't be in such a bloody rush, and that way you will not get bent ouf of shape if something goes wrong because we'll have a fix or you will know what to do and what not to do right from the beginning".

The motherboard and the AM2 cpu's are not going anywhere, so you don't have to run out and buy one RIGHT NOW just to be on the bleeding edge. Hold your money and wait a little bit for us to post up some results, and in the time it takes us to do that, you might find your AM2 cpu of choice has dropped in price yet again... ;)

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for being harsh, but I would rather have users wait until we resolve the problem before everyone purchases one then comes back here yelling about their POS board doesn't do anything but reboot during setup no matter what cpu, RAM, video, psu, RAM timings, etc are used.

You're not harsh! You just happen to live in this world... instead of dream world! :cool:

BTW

If you're the kind of user that just has to have more than two IDE devices in your rig, the nF4 versions of the AM2 boards will still support 4 IDE devices.

The nVidia 5 series boards will only have a single IDE controller with two channels.

BTW

If you're the kind of user that just has to have more than two IDE devices in your rig, the nF4 versions of the AM2 boards will still support 4 IDE devices.

The nVidia 5 series boards will only have a single IDE controller with two channels.

What would we lose by going with nF4 rather than nF5?

What would we lose by going with nF4 rather than nF5?

well...you'd be going to an untested, new, probably bug-filled platform if we go by all previous Nvidia new chipset platforms

let us never forget NForce1, Nforce3, NForce4 etc when they all first came out...

at least with the Infinity, you are using a tried-and-true original NF4 chipset platform...this doesn't negate any possibility of bugs since the platform is a hybrid (NF4 + AM2-DDR2). If you remember back to DFI nad MSI and other's attempts at fusing a 939 cpu socket to an NF3 chipset...you will remember that there was very little success, but it wasn't that bad really (I'm still using an Ultra-D 939 AGP board around the lab!)

I've yet to encounter any real problems on the AM2 Infinity yet, other than a dead SATA cable (but not from the box, it is just a lab cable that has been used about 10000000000 times in the last two years haha), but because I've had 6 computer orders since Wednesday (1 on Monday, 2 on Wednesday, and 3 last night at about 10PM that have to all be delivered 130 miles away on Tuesday so I'm stuffed for time), I've not had a lot of time to devote yet.

I do have two AM2 Infininty machines ready for the SS Database...I just have to get down to making the AM2 template and putting it in the DB ;)

I see what you're saying about the first revisions usually being buggy. What kind of features does the nF5 offer that would be lost by going with the nF4? Apparently the nF4 supports two more PATA drives. Also, how does the Infinity compare to the LanParty in terms of quality?

Also, Newegg says the Infinity will only support 4GiB of RAM. Is this true, or is it possible to put 2 or 4 GiB sticks in each slot?

Tuesday, as we've stated at least 34 times in this thread

sorry im new to this topic and cant read all 19 pages

do you mean this tuesday in like 2 days time and when will it be in stock in england and how much roughly

thanks

sorry im new to this topic and cant read all 19 pages

do you mean this tuesday in like 2 days time and when will it be in stock in england and how much roughly

thanks

Tuesday as in any given Tuesday between now and November 5th, 2775. Just my luck it'll be November 6th, too.