New DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-MR2/G

well...I have a 4800+ AM2 sitting here....

but nothing to put it in yet...

I have an AM2 nVidia 590 rig that I'm putting together for a customer. It has an AM2 4600X2 Windsor and two 512MB sticks of absolutely crap Samsung RAM right now but that's another story for later.

The 590 chipset has two components that are termed Northbridge and Southbridge simply because people see two discrete chips on the board and fall back to what they know from the past.

On the nF4 chipset you had two components, the AMD Hammer IMC which is the memory controller on the A64 processor and the nVidia nForce4 (CK8-04) on a 130nm die.

The AMD Hammer IMC would traditionally be called the Northbridge since it's the memory controller.

The nVidia nForce4 (CK8-04) would traditionally be called the Southbridge since it controlls the peripherals. This includes Audio and PCIe slots.

The AM2 590 chipset is not a whole lot different.

The AMD Hammer DDR2 IMC still controls the memory and is located on the processor.

The nVidia nForce 590 SLI (MCP55SPXE) controls the Audio and PCIe slots on a 90nm die.

The new chip is the nVidia SPP 190 (C51XE) on a 90nm die. This chip adds two PCIe slots. One X1 port and one X16 port.

This new chip is on the PCIe bus and controls the top X16 slot. The more traditional nForce 590 chip controls the bulk of the PCIe slots including the bottom X16 slot.

The board I'm using uses a heatpipe system making it even harder to compare temps but even when I cover the fins, the temps are much lower than what we've seen on the nF4 series. Just the air coming off the CPU HSF is enough to cool the system but the board manufacturer sends a small fan just in case you're using watercooling.

I'll post more when I get my "real" RAM installed as I keep working with this setup.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Hmm...maybe i should try getting a different DFI s939 board like the original SLI-DR. I'm sorta waiting on the AM2 board though since i just grabbed some new OCZ PC2-6400 2x1GB pretty cheap. Does anyone know how UCCC chip RAM works in the regular SLI-DR boards? I have 2x1GB of G. Skill PC4000 HZ.

plenty o entries in the OC Database...

I honestly love the original Lanparty Nf4, and honestly don't like the Expert NF4 Lanparty. I don't have a Venus so cannot comment on it but I would probably hate it as much as the Expert since it is the same exact board really (but Venus owners howl in rage when you say that lol).

The Venus actually is an Expert that doesn't have all the Expert's idiosyncrasies

but anyway

and DFI gets kinda (really really lol) mad when I dis the Expert in favor of the old original boards but I'm just honest in my opinion.

Some claim teh Expert is light years ahead of the original...most of us seem to disagree with that as there's something about it that made it more complex yet a worse overclocker compared to the original.

Some hear that and claim that's just us being bonehead idiots who refuse to learn, but I think I know enough about overclocking and I am pretty sure I have an open mind about learning new boards (I'm slowly but supremely mastering the CFX3200-DR and it is totally different even though the bios looks almost identical in the DRAM Config), and yet I still just can't stand trying to fool with it. I'd rather fool with teh original NF4 or my new CFX3200-DR.

as for AM2...I'd wait a while...rev1 stuff always full of bugs and problems (both cpu's and chipsets as well as gpu's, sometimes RAM, sound cards, HOnda/Toyota/Ford/GM/Dodge/etc)

plus there won't be anything thats really nice until 65nm AM2 and Conroe ;)

A built in linksys wireless adapter...

I have probs with linksys ethernet adapters in gneneral.

If I remove to much, which is normally ok on a diff brand of adapater, from windows (networking stuff), it'll fail to start.

I've also had countless probs with performance(multible conenctions at once sorta performance probs, it probably gets worse after removing the limit in winxp+ too(I tested on 2k with allmost no limit in connections), and from what I gather, from others around me in my personal life, they have some major probs with there dynamic ip configs.

Truthfully, I'd much prefer someone brand say belkien over linksys.

I don't want to look like I'm being negative lol, but I really don't like linksys ethernet adapaters nor there routers.

Routers:

IP config probs, performance probs.

Adapters:

Just does'nt work after tweaking windows after a certain extent(when at least my realtek is working fine).

The expert vs sli-dr thingy.

I have no idea really but I read off diff forums that the expert does better on winbond stuff, while the sli-dr does better on samsung.

From what HG says though...

The venus, yeah defently very simuler to the expert.

When I compared screen shots of the mobo's, from dfi' site.

I notcied there was a slight diff in the placment of one of it's caps.

I forgot the exact location but I could point it out if I had to the 2 shots on hand.

It does'nt like like much of a diffrence though.

The rest of the diff's, at least the main one, are the caps.

The venus being more heavy duty.

It may have some other diff's, but you woud'nt know unless you had both boards at hand to compare closely.

There might be a few resistors here or there, stuff like that, that are diffrent.

If I were going for the expert, I'd try to get a venus straight up.

Honestly though...

After reading what I have on the diff's in overclockability.

I think it's the layout of the expert that kills it.

I beleive it was in the sheer # of caps, I was pretty sure that was one of the things that were very notciable.

There was somehting I notcied though, specifically for the sil controller.

On the ultra-d and sli-dr, there's no crystal by it.

However on the expert and venus, there is.

Maybe the sil controller on the expert and venus are locked, or clocked by the crystal so as to "fit" into an oc'ed pci bus.

I dn, there's a crystal by mine on the nf2 lpb.

I dn, anyways that was one of the things I noticed diffrently betwen the expert and sli-dr.

Btw, bring on the asian chicks :D.

What Happed To The 2 Ide Ports..

I Have 2 Ide Hdd And 2 Ide Burners(dvd)

Im Soon Change To 4 Ide Burners- (+2 External)

New Mb (ati-nforce) Have Nly 1 Ide Port (2 Ide Units Can Be Conected)

AND THE CURRENT CROP OF SATA BURNERS ONLY WORK WITH INTEL CHIPSET.

CONVERTES FOR IDE TO SATA DONT WORK WILL WITH BURNERS.

That Sucks- EVERY ELSE IS GOOD EXCEPT FAN .

DFI OK BOARD (GOOD OVERCLOCKING) (NEED TO BE AN EXPERT GO GET ALL THE LITTLE PROBLEMS REMOVED) DONE THAT NOW, WELL MAYBE THEIRS 1 OR 2 LITTLE ONES.

I WOULD HAVE LIKE A COLOR CHANGE

WHITE BOARD + RED - OR BLUE OR BLACK PLASTIC

GET RID OF THE JELLOW ORANGE COLOURS RED-BLUE-WHITE-BLACK ETC....

I guess a lot of you guys aren't familiar with Intel chipsets.

Most Intel boards only have a single IDE controller these days.

The fact that the nVidia 500 series controllers will only include a single IDE port is nothing surprising. The number of PATA drives is declining almost daily as SATA becomes more common.

As far as legacy PATA drives go, there are plenty of external PATA to USB drive adapters and enclosures that will

Hey :(, the last post was'nt a negative I hate everything post.

I was expressing my and a 2 buddies of mine, experiences with linksys products.

Look at it this way:

A ramdom user comes out and says, hey, this would be cool, put some linksys stuff on the board.

Hence why I said that.

Regardeless, I could allways disable such an adapter could'nt it ? ;).

I knew I should'nt of posted on the expert vs sli dr thing...

Should of only mentioned that the expert had a crystal for the sata controller where as is the sli dr did not...

Edit:

Maybe if I would of said:

"If you put a linksys ethernet adapter on the mobo, not all people are gonna beable to use it :("

Would that be better?, I'm still working on it dudes ... ;)

Trying not to make it look negative.

keep in mind NEO that while you may not like Linksys, most people do or else they wouldnt be a popular brand that sells well.

I myself really like Linksys products for the most part. I am realistic to know that not everything is going to be fantastic, and I have had a defective Linksys product before...but for the most part, their products are quality.

We can't just let one person or even a small group of persons like you determine what we will and will not include...neither will Asus, Abit, MSI, etc.

Personally I find a wireless network device built into the board just one more hunk of crap that I personally won't use and that will probably fail, have issues, or cause issues with other hardware on the motherboard.

But hey that's just my opinion (I disable just about every onboard device anyway).

Personally I find a wireless network device built into the board just one more hunk of crap that I personally won't use and that will probably fail, have issues, or cause issues with other hardware on the motherboard.

But hey that's just my opinion (I disable just about every onboard device anyway).

LOL This AM2 rig I'm building and testing has a wireless card "built-in".

The reason I use the quotes around built-in is because it's actually a Realtek USB wireless adapter that's been modified to plug directly into a standard motherboard USB connector. The I/O shield has a hole for the antenna to be connected and they were nice enough to provide a generous amount of cable so you can position the antenna properly.

Unless and until the customer asks about the wireless, it's sitting in the box.

I like the look of the new board. Since there isn't one solution that will make everyone happy I think it is in DFI's best interest to use something that performs well (in terms of heat) at low cost and leave it up to the user if they want to replace it. Making the chipset cooler a little easier to replace and or making it possible to mount a greater variety of cooler might be nice as many people don't enjoy having to remove the MB and choice is always a good thing.

On board wireless? Bah! I’d disable it or try to purchase a similar board from the same manufacturer that didn’t have it. My next board will be a DFI product primarily because of support. Then I’ll consider how well it OCs. If I decide to buy a different fan or cooling solution it simply shows that I enjoy the board and the performance it gives me.

I was just thinking how I don't even have fans connected to the motherboard, not even the chipset... and now it will have a wireless LAN adapter??? HAHAHAHA icon10.gif

Like I said: there are board to build home computers, maybe with mild gaming capabilities... but with 100% stability at stock speeds. Then there are those ultimate overclocking/gaming motherboards which will exceed all overclocking speeds.

In the fantasy world people should have each one, and maybe a wireless LAN adapter is a nice adition to the Home computer... but it is certanly NOT on the gaming/overclocking rig.

If I can get a 939 motherboard with all these gadgets but with out SLI (I need more PCI slots), then I might replace this crappy MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! :)