Sign in to follow this  
GonzoDamon

Problems connecting 3rd SATA drive...

All right, here's the situation. The WD Sata in my sig was on clearance at Best Buy for under a bill, so I could not resist. This is my second one, the other has been installed and working fine for a while.

I just can't seem to get Windows to boot with the third SATA connected (second WD SATA I). The Seagate UATA is connected onto the second IDE channel, also in CMOS. The Seagate SATA II is my primary boot drive, which I set up Windows on as the sole drive, then added the UATA, then the first WD SATA I, now I'm trying the second. NOW, although I set up the Seagate SATA II as the primary and installed Windows onto it when it was the only drive in the system, I think that something changed when I installed the UATA. The UATA became my C: drive, which I have heard happens because Windows refuses to make a SATA drive C:. I had reformatted the UATA before I installed it in my system, but Windows still managed to throw some system booting files onto it afterwards.

When I tried to install the new WD SATA I, I went into the CMOS and enabled SATA 3&4 and plugged it into 3. When I turn on the computer, it get's past CMOS and recognizes everything correctly, but it says on the screen that something is wrong with the boot drive or that there is no boot info. If I unplug the WD SATA I cable to the mobo, all is well again. I am just not smart enough - where is the confliction? I REALLY don't want to have to re-install windows if at all possible!

I tried to explain everything that happened as best as possible, but I just don't know where to go next? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

boot off your Windows XP cd then go to the recovery console and tell it to fixboot and fixmbr..........if that doesn't work then just boot the CD again and tell the Windows to run a repair of your current install, this should fix your problem.

I discovered today that there is a tertiary menu in the BIOS to determine the boot order of like-type drives. Actually, there are several such menus, one for harddrives, one for which CD player is first, and one for things like IOmega drives. These are in addition to the secondary menu setting boot order by type of device, i.e., floppy, cd, harddrive. I can't see the BIOS menus while in windows to explain exactly where it is, but it's there.

kirby

I had already tried changing the boot order as many ways as possible, but it did not help the situation. However, it might be notable to recognize that the UATA(C:) is usually second in the order after the SATA II(D:), but when I make one of the SATA I's boot second, then its says something to the effect of the NTLDR missing, if I remember the exact word. Either way, changing the boot order in this way does change what type of boot error message is shown.

Any other ideas? I am going to try to use the Windows CD to boot and then repair it when I get some extra time tomorrow.

THanks again!

I'd sell that IDE HDD and put the money towards something you can use. If that isn't feasible however, let me get this straight.

With the two Seagates, you can boot into windows from the SATA right? When you connect the WD is when you have boot problems correct? And you've changed the boot order after connecting the WD right?

Try this. Disconnect all harddrives except the boot drive whereever it is. Put the windows installation cd in a cd drive. Assuming a boot order of cd before harddrive, let the bios report booting from cd but let it time out. Then it should find the harddrive with windows.

Boot up windows and restart it once after it settles down. Now remove the installation cd and boot again. If all goes well, you should be able to add drives during each shutdown and still have windows boot from the desired drive.

kirby, who went thru all this very recently.