@TheFlowerKing, thanks for all the hard work in sheparding this thread, keeping it updated, and creating some excitement. We all apreciate it.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to provide entries for OCDB and the SSDB.

Some quicky (maybe interesting) observations on the 25 entries

44% Used Air Cooling

80% Opterons (88% if you include FX series with same silicon goodness)

64% Opteron 14X models - I would imagine most paid around $200)

(1 Model 144, 9 Model 146, 6 Model 148)

20% Dual Core (2 Model 165, 2 Model 170, 1 Model FX-60)

will anyone think less of me if I admit that I have never been able to get any of my AMD cpu's stable @ 3Ghz?

I even have a magical Opteron 146 stepping and I can't even get it to finish loading windows @ 3Ghz...no matter what, on like 9 different NF4 and CFX3200 boards...

I guess I am just not as good as all of you (yet I helped write the book on the AMD overclocking experience lol...it's a case of the master not really being the master at all yet thinking he's the master even while the students are kung-fu'ing his butt all the way down the mountainside telling him what a chintzy bastard he is)

Guest Timmay

*Awaits the next drunk, ahh I mean failed OC story* :P

will anyone think less of me if I admit that I have never been able to get any of my AMD cpu's stable @ 3Ghz?

Never mate, 3GHz is just a matter of luck with the right chip and having the right cooling. Of course, if you buy enough chips you can have more "luck" but there comes a point where you have to actually use the pc for what it was designed for and at that stage it doesn't really matter whether you're running 2.6GHz or 3.0GHz, you still get fragged like the rest of the players ;)

Seriously, if you didn't have a single cpu that couldn't clock past 2.4GHz you'd still be the big daddy of us all on this board.

Put it this way, if you ever came to NZ I'd chaffeur you and momma around in my wagon and I'm sure Timmay would be there to open your doors when we stopped :D

I just noticed all the Optys are listed as Toledo cores. Thats the way they show up in cpu-z, but theyre actually denmarks correct?

The 940 pin Opteron versions were called Denmark but the 939 pin SC are Venus amd the DC Toledo. There was a lot of confusion on this last August when the 939 versions were introduced so you are definately not alone.

I even have a magical Opteron 146 stepping and I can't even get it to finish loading windows @ 3Ghz...no matter what, on like 9 different NF4 and CFX3200 boards...

I guess I am just not as good as all of you (yet I helped write the book on the AMD overclocking experience lol...it's a case of the master not really being the master at all yet thinking he's the master even while the students are kung-fu'ing his butt all the way down the mountainside telling him what a chintzy bastard he is)

If anything, it once again proves you're honest and frank. Sometimes brutally frank :D

3GHz has to be stable as defined by the rules of the OCDB section.

I know you would never claim 3GHz unless it was stable with those rules as well as gaming and everyday use.

And of course I think we all realize there is no difference between 2950 and 3000 (hale, no real dif between 2700 and 3000 unless you are benching)

3GHz is just a matter of luck with the right chip and having the right cooling. Of course, if you buy enough chips you can have more "luck" but there comes a point where you have to actually use the pc for what it was designed for and at that stage it doesn't really matter whether you're running 2.6GHz or 3.0GHz, you still get fragged like the rest of the players

Two really good points by TFK.

I have had four 146 Opterons, none had any problem breezing past 2.8.

Over 2.8 there were differences. Different voltages and even different timings and drive stengths. One maxed at 2950 (and I think I tried everything). The second one actually passed the tests in XP Pro but failed at 7 hours in x64 Edition.

50% of the time it would pass 3DMark2003 and the other 50% would hang somewhere through the run.

Opty's #3 and #4 both got me there but #3 needed 1.6v and #4 only needed 1.46 (thank you EdSmith for this gem). Actually #4 HATES anything more than 1.5v and generally crashes immediately.

There were all the "good" steppings and the last year saw a "modded to SLI" Ultra-D, a stock Ultra-D and the Venus board - as well as an ATIX800XL, single xfx 7800gt, and SLI 7800GTs - two dif OCZ520 PSUs - an XP90 and an XP120 - and two dif cases. Throw in the vid driver variables and Windows (plus all it's updates) and a lot of things could have made a difference.

Back on post #39 I questioned the need for the club and what indeed made it special.

FTK has convinced me that it increases the number of OCDB entries.

Later I questioned the viability of an "up and coming section" for those under 3GHz or using a Dual Core. The guys have convinced me that the OCDB serves that function better.

Praz was the 1st to point out that it certainly was not an e-penis thing for him. He was simply trying to help others. He questioned some of the settings claimed as stable in the GSkill thread. His point has stuck with me.

Certainly after all the OCDB benchmarks are done, if it doesn't hold up in games you are still not there. "That dawg won't hunt" as the man says.

Lot's of folks tell you they are at 3GHz but the fact is that there are still only 25 entries out of the 20,000+ membership posted.

Luck man, Luck and Honesty and getting more OCDB entries (at any OC) is what the thread is all about.

Sorry for the long post. Way too much Starbuck's this morning :)

Guest MadDias

nice work tfk to put the voltages of all the oc´s in the list.

but why am i listed with 1.52V?? ;)

1.3V+112% = 1,4456V

never mind... but i was somehow proud to be under 1,5V ;)

I'm currently dual priming...only an hour and a half left until 8hrs..

334x9 on my Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610..1.52vcore...Screenies soon to come in a couple of hours!

Just curious, what do we get for breaking 3ghz? LOL..j/k

at some point, everyone will get 'special' GGG avatars ;)

That's something to look forward to then :) just as i was getting used to mine.