Kitfit, I'm curious, what kinda voltage are you feeding that processor to get the HT up at 1200? Meaning what's your volts on the LDT/HT, not the processor.

I have mine at 1.4V and it won't do 4x at 250FSB :( stuck at 3X, if I do 4X it freezes eventually (maybe in a few minutes, maybe in a few hours, but it'll freeze)

Mine's just at 1.2v. I only need to up it if i go over 305HTT. The reason i'm running 4x is because under phase my 3x dose'nt work(it just reboots), it's fine on air just not under phase. As my OCDB 3.1gig entry shows it won't run 4x at 310HTT, only 2.5. That's why i've been working on my ram timings to get as high as possible at 4x with tight timings. I've got a feeling that i'll probably end up around 307HTT, although Neo's Aeka bios may well get me to 310HTT. The other reason for running at 4x is the speed of the Desktop, everything runs and opens much faster at 4x. It dose'nt show up in benchies, but it does when in front of your eyes.

The plane ticket would cost more than 2 opty 170's. Besides we already know what yours does on phase. Maybe I can get this 3000+ Venice in 3G club. That's a buttload of divider to keep my BH5 at 250 while the CPU has to go 375. I've had my expert as high as 403 stable. Could be fun, like clocking a celeron..

That's ok, did'nt realise it would cost that much to get to NY :eek2:

Hello,

I have an Opteron 165 CCBBE 0617FPMW and it's doing great and I'm going for that 3G mark. I could do 2.7Ghz on stock but it seems for that extra push it takes a pretty big bump in the volts. From reading it seems like this is pretty common.

I have a question for those of you who have hit the 3G's mark. I have visited the front page and all and checked a lot of the OCDB entries for the various setups and whatnot. It looks like a lot of the entries have some high voltages. My question basically is that for those of you who have hit this mark or surpassed it, how many of you leave it running 24/7 and how many of you after making the OCDB turned your OC down a bit (perhaps due to the voltages it took) to run it 24/7.

I know it lists cooling in the entries but I was wondering if any of you have changed things or upgraded your cooling to allow you to run some high volts 24/7.

Ran my 3.0 24/7 for some time.... eventually turned it down to 2.98 to better use my ram's capabilities.

Everyone has a different view of what could be considered high voltage. 1.6 - 1.7 on an A64 isn't that high to me. I have yet to see one die from being overvolted to those levels after a year or so of use. Granted I change hardware quite often so voltage damage over time doesn't concern me because I'll usually have a new CPU within 3 months.

Use what makes you comfortable and if you start to worry about voltages every time you boot your rig bring it down.

Hello,

I have an Opteron 165 CCBBE 0617FPMW and it's doing great and I'm going for that 3G mark. I could do 2.7Ghz on stock but it seems for that extra push it takes a pretty big bump in the volts. From reading it seems like this is pretty common.

I have a question for those of you who have hit the 3G's mark. I have visited the front page and all and checked a lot of the OCDB entries for the various setups and whatnot. It looks like a lot of the entries have some high voltages. My question basically is that for those of you who have hit this mark or surpassed it, how many of you leave it running 24/7 and how many of you after making the OCDB turned your OC down a bit (perhaps due to the voltages it took) to run it 24/7.

I know it lists cooling in the entries but I was wondering if any of you have changed things or upgraded your cooling to allow you to run some high volts 24/7.

I've hit my 3 G's with less than 1.5 vts, so I run them at those marks for everyday use. When I push beyond that and the voltage goes over 1.55, or so - that's only for benching and stability. Honestly, with the cooling I use, there's maybe a degree or two difference in temps using stock volts or up to 1.6 - but there's more going on besides just temps when you use that much juice. IMO, everyday volts should be 1.5 or less, with emphasis on the "less", regardless of your cooling.

Why do you pick 1.5 as your stopping point greatscott. Not flaming or anything, just curious.

How long between upgrades and have you seen in person any CPU's die from voltage higher than 1.5?

Hello,

My PC is far from running 24/7 (mostly gaming and OC'ing) and still run at my OCDB (CPU voltage setting). Here's just trying to see where it tops out, so far here. Thats with a bumb in CPU volts = 1.6 and lower with the LDT volts = 1.62. Still keep'n it cool with a TDX. :cool: 28C/idle 39C/load

I run mine 24/7 as in my sig. I don't see any point in going to the time and trouble of getting a good clock, and then turning it down. I agree with CPDMF as well, at various times i've shoved silly voltages through my 170(1.7+), and still do when i'm looking for a higher clock. If it dies, so what, i can live with it.

Why do you pick 1.5 as your stopping point greatscott. Not flaming or anything, just curious.

How long between upgrades and have you seen in person any CPU's die from voltage higher than 1.5?

When I need to go from say 1.44 to 1.6+, to take a chip from 3 G's to 3.1, the everyday gain isn't worth it to me to use that much juice 24/7. I seem to average a new toy every 6 months or so, so I'm not worried about burning one out - I guess it's just a personal comfort thing for me. I think that 1.5 came from back when I was on air cooling, and beyond that much juice was when you started seeing a pretty big elevation in heat. If I ever see a thread (like this one), where someone asks about voltage and temps, I stray towards the conservative side on pushing things, because over time, I've made the mistake of assuming that people had their act together on cooling + overall quality of components + common sense. I don't want to be the guy who says "give her 1.7 - and see what she can really do"...only to find out that they are using some POS PSU, oe something like that - and then it all goes to .. Granted, it's their fault for not being smart on what they are doing... Here's a link to pretty good thread on voltage and temps, blah-blah-blah:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384756

So in answer to your question, I guess it goes back to the old "personal comfort thing." There ya go :)