The AMD 3GHz Club

Just to mess with you all I am going to see if I can get mine to fail in the 8 hour mark and post an entry to give you all something to look at...;)

You rascal, you :D as it happens your right, as long as it's over 8hrs, that's all that matters for the OCDB. If there is any doubt, then this was accepted for my Toaster way back:

thumb_250x10_(Medium).JPG

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if that was accepted then I am pissed off. I failed once after the 8 hour mark and someone told me it wasn't ligitimate for the OCDB.

And in my opinion, the whole "run for 12-24 hours then go play a game for 30 minutes and crash it" thing shouldn't be possible if one made an OCDB entry. The whole point of having the 3DMarks INCLUDED in the OCDB entry is to avoid such things from happening.

I had a 3GHz setting a while back with my Opty 165 that was UNSTABLE in Prime95 (failed almost instantly), passed all 3DMarks and that sucker would play FEAR, Oblivion and Dark Messiah for hours no problem.

I think the idea behind the over all skeam is, Prime95 (and now Orthos) determines encoding/high CPU usage stability and the 3DMarks ensure gaming stability.

That's my opinion though. And I stand by my "if it fails it fails" statement. I don't care if I run it for 8 hours or 14 or 24, if it fails, it's not good enough for me.

And Kitfit, I just noticed something in your screenshot there...

How did that test run for 9 hours and 51 minutes and only do 5 lines of calculation? Someone set their clock ahead? ::joking ;)::

And my main point is, just to reinterate:

There is no reason Orthos/SP2004 saying FAILED no matter HOW LONG you ran it should be good enough for YOU. ;) Don't be cheap, pass it like everyone else (well almost everyone :: does the shame on you thing at Kitfit:: lol)

No, i had it set to run all my ram by mistake. I could'nt use it while it was Primeing, nothing else would open. Must admit i did'nt know about seting the clock forward untill i read it here.

And in my opinion, the whole "run for 12-24 hours then go play a game for 30 minutes and crash it" thing shouldn't be possible if one made an OCDB entry. The whole point of having the 3DMarks INCLUDED in the OCDB entry is to avoid such things from happening.

Charmed I know this is not exactly the rig rebooting or giving the BSOD but one of my C2D rigs passed everything 100% for 12 hours + got an OCDB & then crashed Call Of Duty 2 10 minutes into the game half a dozen times in a row until I gave the RAM another .05v so for me the requirements for the OCDB don't always ensure 100% stability.

I also agree a fail is a fail although having said that a fail 8 hours + that is allowed in the OCDB would allow me to get some sleep instead of getting out of bed in the middle of the night to stop Orthos on 8 hours for a OCDB entry :)

I also agree a fail is a fail although having said that a fail 8 hours + that is allowed in the OCDB would allow me to get some sleep instead of getting out of bed in the middle of the night to stop Orthos on 8 hours for a OCDB entry :)

LOL, I'm going to get more sleep also.

Just so there's no confusion. Any database entry, stock or overclocked, will be deleted without notice if a screenshot shows a required benchmark has failed. The length of time the benchmark was run does not make any difference in this regard. It needs to show a successful completion.

I agree for the most part...

Given the requirements that still maynot garauntee stability... As mentioned to could pass 8hours, 10hours or even 24-48hours and meet the required benchmarks and post a OCDB or 3G's entry and go to play a game and not make it 10 minutes and get bounced out of a game only to see the desktop next...

Some rigs are just iffy like that...I had a instance a while back where i was doing some movie encoding and at about 80% I would get a blue screen followed by a reboot...It did it everytime at about the same place...

I thought my clock was slipping away already.. I upped vcore and vdimm to no avail...turns out the DVD and a small blemish and the reader i was using was a Sata reader that freaks when it gets caught in a read I/O error...

I put the DVD in another PC and it just froze at that spot...so I know it wasnt my rig just going crazy...;)

But in short...the good General asked if he ran orthos for 10 hours and it failed at 9hour IS it still alright to post an entry....

I said Yes...because it passed the minimum requirement of 8 hours

some of you might not agree with that but rules are rules...doesnt matter if it went 8 hours and 1 second then failed...it made the minimum...

but like I asked would YOU accept those results...;)

Just to mess with you all I am going to see if I can get mine to fail in the 8 hour mark and post an entry to give you all something to look at...;)

let me clarify just in case you didn't listen to Praz's post above

ANY failure = no valid entry

period.

As I've said a million times, the OCDB requirements do NOT guarantee a 100%-forever stable overclock. It is however, what I would consider a 98% guarantee. 98% is about as close as we will ever get with anything running outside of stock speed that the hardware was intended to run.

But anything that shows a failure is going to be dumped out of the OCDB immediately.

If you can pass 8h 01m and get your screenshot, and then it fails at 8h 13m, it is up to you whether or not you want to submit the entry with a valid screenhot. Personally, If my rig failed the test even a couple hours after the 8h mark (but I had already taken the valid screenshot), I would not submit the entry, because I know it failed the test later on.

That however, is up to you to decide. Honesty is always the best policy, but some like that e-penis enlargement (or maybe it's a bit of e-penis-envy that someone else could overclock stable and you couldn't?) gets in the way. Then again, if you got a valid screenshot but know it failed later, and never told anyone, who would be the wiser?

Since my goal is to help people achieve results honestly, I choose to not enter (and I have probably 50+ that fall into this category) the rigs when they don't pass what I personally consider to be rock solid and stable. Even IF they passed the OCDB requirements and I have all the screenshots and the template filled out etc, if the %@$#@ rig fails then I never let those screenshots and entries get posted up here.

but a screenshot of a failure...never is acceptable, no matter if it is 128 hours into the test.

Not sure why there was even a discussion on this. If it fails, no matter when then it's obviously not a stable clock and shouldn't be posted.

I've had a few failures after 9 hours and mostly let them run at least 14 hours before I make an entry, if they fail anytime I tweak and start over. Seems like if I don't I am not really contributing to the database really because it's obviously not stable.

I think it's OK to delete the "failed after 8h"-entries. Just doesn't feel right to claim that it's stable:)

On the other hand, when I run Prime95, I NEVER run it for more than 9 hours (depends on when I get out of bed the next morning:) ). No need to - IMO.

However, if Prime fails after 8+ hours - you WILL get it stable with a few tweaks, as you're DAMN close!

I had a big old long post about me being right after all and why I agree and all that, but then that stupid update thing the other night happened and my post never posted... was nice to type out something that was a page long then have an error pop up instead of it posting.

::Growls::

I had a big old long post about me being right after all and why I agree and all that, but then that stupid update thing the other night happened and my post never posted... was nice to type out something that was a page long then have an error pop up instead of it posting.

::Growls::

None of us read page long posts anyway.