I for one get a kick out of this thread, seeing peoples frustrations reminds me of time long ago with my NF2 UltraB when I first fired it up and looked in the bios. I was one lost puppy.

Yeah, those were the days. I think you make a good point though. Instead of just blindly changing settings, a person needs to listen to what the system is telling them. If it doesn't feel like the computer is talking to you when changing settings then you're just beating your head against the wall.

[email protected] Praz

I'll take the Redlines from you ;)

I couldn't do that. If the system wouldn't clock to 3.0 then it would be because the original ram wasn't in the system.

I am going to have a crack at this...and some of you tell me your opinions...

Now looking at the steppings on cpu and taking for instance the stepping CCBBE....now these are known for 3G's but some only claim 2.6 or 2.8 or even 2.9.... now how do we know those lower ones are just duds from the good batch...?

Now what if they were good steppings...but used in a mis-matched combo coupled with lack of user experiance...?

you know the whole...one mans junk is another mans treasure...?

how do we know with out testing that the dude only getting 2.6, 2.8 or 2.9 may just be ram that just wont play nice with the cpu or board no matter what....

I mean you take one of these so called duds and hand it to a 3G's winner and walla a 3G's chip...

I mean I read my old stepping opty would not get past 2.8....it did that on stock vcore... and would boot at 3G's but freeze windows instantly...I could however get it running with darn close to 1.6v....but it wouldnt prime...

I got it to prime for a 1/2 with a tad over 1.6v and I bet it would go with 1.65 or 1.7....but too much for me... but it did way more than anything I read claimed....

I am by no means and expert... I got lucky with my ram and board...they place very well together....like boyfriend and girlfriend....

I think some hardware just play together like brother and sister... or bickering cousins....

And As far as CPDMF....I see his name mentioned all over forums I have been to lately as to knowing his stuff on clocking...I found that a little suprising...I dont know why but I did...I thought it was cool though...hats off to you bud...

I say Charmed...send that cpu to someone that will test it for 3G's for you to take that out of the equation.... then you'll know it's either ram or board...or the person configuring the bios...?

I have been eyeing 170's and I'd like a good stepping so I can do a 3G's entry but I have no need for a dual core.... I dont even use and of my rigs to even an idle potential...;)

We've already been over the "it's the ram" issue, I have redlines now ;)

We've already been over the "it's the board issue", I don't think it's the board because it can pump 1.7Vs for days straight no problem and handle anything I threw at it with my FX-60 as long as I didn't ask it to do 3Gs.

That' leaves the processor, or the processor's memory controller. I think it's a mix of both.

And I see the point with the "try another BIOS" thing, but if the BIOS really makes that much of a difference... what does that say about tweaking?

Well, looks like OCZ is sending me some 2x1024 PC3200 2-3-2-5-1T stuff.

Someone please make sure I don't go beyond 2.8v LOL.

Damn it. Does this mean I have to start from square 1 as far as timings go? :sad:

Well, looks like OCZ is sending me some 2x1024 PC3200 2-3-2-5-1T stuff.

Someone please make sure I don't go beyond 2.8v LOL.

Damn it. Does this mean I have to start from square 1 as far as timings go? :sad:

Short answer: Y'think?

Long answer: Yes. They're totally different kinds of memory from what you have now, so it will be back to square one ;) My advice would be to sell them on EBay and getcha some Mushkins, but that's just me.

......My advice would be to sell them on EBay and getcha some Mushkins, but that's just me.

Trust me, I've been thinking about it and hounding the Egg's site over it. But I've been doing some reading on em, and most people seem to be able to take them past 250mhz.

Define "hangs"

well i left it running and when i checked on it a minute later it wasn't responding at this section (the part with the combat on this spaceship) to mouseclicks, esc or ctrl-alt-del

well i left it running and when i checked on it a minute later it wasn't responding at this section (the part with the combat on this spaceship) to mouseclicks, esc or ctrl-alt-del

Unless that's what you want it to do during a real game, I wouldn't call that stable. ;)