The AMD 3GHz Club

I had it. Got to GGG at 1.51v. I passed prime95, got the screen shots for all the benchmarks except for 3DMark03. Kept on bumping up the voltage to get it to pass. And then...BSOD at 1.56v. Now, I am no where near stable at 339x9 in Windows at any voltage. Fortunately 312x9 is still stable at stock voltage. I guess I'll have to "settle" for a 1 gigahertz overclock :P.

Curse you 3DMark03, may your codes rot in he--.

ONCE AGAIN PROVING 3DMark03 IS EVIL!

ANywho I am gonna try and fool around with the PCI-E frequency, see if it fixes my Oblivion pixel problem when I'm talking to people, their faces have lil' weird colored dots.

At first I figured it was my video card OC, then I remember it did that back when I had them at stock even.

It does seem to lessen when I take my cards down to 710/875 (stock on the ram) by a lot, but it's still there. Think I'll try 700/875 with the PCI-E bumped up to 105.

So tempted to try out my Opty again but I dun think I'm ready for that headache just yet... I may yank the 600W PSU outta my sister's computer and put it in the Opty/Asus system to see if I can actually OC some with it, I can't OC at all with that 500W POS that's in it now.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh, Charmed has ARTIFACTS! I took my PCIe freq to 105 and 110 and saw no differences. I leave it at 105 and have not had any problems but I don't run SLI.

I think you need to drop the clock to 700 even for normal gaming.

I thought i might post this up in the hope that i don't jinx myself. With all the posts of peeps having problems with 3D03 i thought "i'll run it while Priming" at least it won't be a waste of an 8hr run. This shot was taken a few mins ago at about 3.5hrs into another Prime run. The A64info is for information only, all the settings are bios set.

3050prime03uo3.th.jpg

Well, I've managed to get my ram to 1.5-2-2-0-1T stable at HTT 330 3/4 = 247MHz. Finally, I've come close to the DDR500 it's rated at 2-2-2-5-1T.

So, 330x9=2970 and I am happy to get 247MHz outta my ram. Patience pays off.

Guest drteming
Do a cmos clear and try and get back to your 3ghz stable settings, then play with PCI-e frequency. Hopefully you didn' tator your processor but realisticly keeping it below 1.60v I don't think that is the case. If you have blue screened repeatedly, crashed and burned, etc, etc...you might try a fresh install. Another thing is make damn sure you are back to the exact settings that got you to 3ghz. Make sure you haven't overlooked something...

Thanks OldGuy. Did that. Got Windows stable again at 334x9 so I must have bonked the Windows installation instead (funny thing was that it was stable with 312x9 for 8 hrs of prime95 after the first incident, so who knows?) Anyway, tweaking the PCI-e frequency did not help. I gradually stepped up the voltage on the CPU up to 1.599v and still cannot pass 3DMark03. So I'm done. I am not going to put more than 1.6v through my chip that is capable of a 1GHz overclock on stock voltage. So goodbye and farewell GGG club, it's been fun trying to get in.

Thanks OldGuy. Did that. Got Windows stable again at 334x9 so I must have bonked the Windows installation instead (funny thing was that it was stable with 312x9 for 8 hrs of prime95 after the first incident, so who knows?) Anyway, tweaking the PCI-e frequency did not help. I gradually stepped up the voltage on the CPU up to 1.599v and still cannot pass 3DMark03. So I'm done. I am not going to put more than 1.6v through my chip that is capable of a 1GHz overclock on stock voltage. So goodbye and farewell GGG club, it's been fun trying to get in.

Hey, you gave it a shot!!!

Mmm, I tried several more settings on my end as well, couldn't get it.

I did however hit a new apex on the 2.9 front.

Played Oblivion for hours last night at 2.93GHz, 3-4-3-8-1T @ 244 on my ram (with the next timing down at 8 instead of 11 ;)) and my PCI-E clock up to 105. Took care of A LOT of the pixelation, there's almost none now at 710/875 on the video cards.

Also seems to have made a minor increase to my scores, I'm almost clearing 118K in AM3, and 9952 was my recent 3DMark06 score.

Anywho, on the Opty 165/Asus/OCZ PC4800 front, I was right about the PSU. I now have it running at 2.8GHz @ 1.45Vs, with the ram at 313MHz 2.5-4-4-11 @ 2.85Vs. Not bad, my CPU score on that system is almost as high as my CPU score on this system in 3DMark06 and AM3 =O

As in there's only like a very small difference. LOL Really considering getting a DFI SLI-DR (non-expert) and trying out that 704 BIOS with the TCCD and that Opty... only problem is I think I've hit a wall due to the stock cooler/add on fan being on there, although it honestly doesn't get too hot yet, highest I've seen is 50C, which considering it's air cooling in a case with ... mediocre circulation, that's impressive for a full 1GHz OC ;)

Anywho, that's all the news I have from the forum's day off ;) LOL

That's a real shame drteming. Just something that might be worth thinking about, when going for my NF2 Toaster, 3D03 was my problem as well. The cause was not cpu or voltage but my ram, and in fact an rma solved the problem.

That's a real shame drteming. Just something that might be worth thinking about, when going for my NF2 Toaster, 3D03 was my problem as well. The cause was not cpu or voltage but my ram, and in fact an rma solved the problem.

Agreed, a real pity.

The odd thing is that i usually don't fail 3DMark03 when i pass prime on those settings. Perhaps it's a little sensitive to your core and memory clock 7900GTO ... could downclock abit or run it at stock [As Oldguy suggested]

03, in my experience, does seem to loathe OCed graphics card.

My suggestion would be either run at stock OR try elevating your PCI-E frequency like I did, see if it irons it out (raising mine to 105 almost completely eliminated my Oblivion pixel problem as well as Oblivion crashing, and it did make things run just a TEENY bit faster in some cases.)