The AMD 3GHz Club

Guest burningrave101

I see that there is only one entry for dual core Opterons. I'll have to get busy and get one up. I'm sure this one i have now can do 3GHz with enough voltage if my cooling will cut it (Zalman CNPS9500). I may go to watercooling later on. I've had several 0610's in my posession now so i've gotten a pretty good feel for them. I've been toying with the DRAM settings quite a bit trying to figure out what affects CPU clocks. I've got another Opteron 165 coming from Monarch tommorrow so hopefully it will be another 0610DPMW or maybe a 0615.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Timmay

Well I gave my Computer shop RMA dpt another ring today and they maybe able to ship it out for me today when I order a new machine for my missus parents (OOOO that means I get my new 19" widescreen soon also :shake: ) So I maybe adding to that 3GHz Club REAL fast there TFK. IE this weekend.

I see that there is only one entry for dual core Opterons. I'll have to get busy and get one up. I'm sure this one i have now can do 3GHz with enough voltage if my cooling will cut it (Zalman CNPS9500).

With an 0610 you should be able to do it. Let it Prime overnight and post a OCDB entry tomorrow.

I'll try changing those settings tomorrow. I tried running with slightly higher voltage tonight. 1.525 @110%, max load temps never got above 45*C. Passed 3DM01, failed Prime when I tried to watch a movie at the same time. Ambient temps about 16*C. Can I try getting closer to 1.7V as long as I'm keeping my CPU temps at ~50*C or so?

Most Excellent Ed. I really like that nice low cpu voltage requirement.

And nice werk "Sound" wish mine liked nice low volt's like that.

Maybe if I keep burnin' w/prime It'll come down abit hehe. Get a w/c on there and The IHS off maybe we'll see...... Got an outta' stock order on the "Ho" So I gotta' order a new "LP-B" Today. That set's the w/c back about anuther month. You guy's will still have a sig for me in two months won't ya's?

I'll try changing those settings tomorrow. I tried running with slightly higher voltage tonight. 1.525 @110%, max load temps never got above 45*C. Passed 3DM01, failed Prime when I tried to watch a movie at the same time. Ambient temps about 16*C. Can I try getting closer to 1.7V as long as I'm keeping my CPU temps at ~50*C or so?

try lower voltage on core and more % as that worked for me to acheive 2.85ghz on my opty 144 but that was like close to 1.8v...on air lol. my temps got high so i put em back.

Also i was gonna say something important but go figure it ran away from me.

ohh yah when applying so much voltage to a cpu ur really cutting its life in half and if you do somethign that requires 100% of the cpu (not like any games or benchies or super pi etc) but like engineering programs and very intesive hardcore programs liek that your cpu will cause errors once in a while. When you apply more voltage to a cpu you actually slowly degraids that lines or paths (cant find real word) were the electons pass and sooner or later those paths well cut off or become smaller to an extent that the cpu will lose a function.

try lower voltage on core and more % as that worked for me to acheive 2.85ghz on my opty 144 but that was like close to 1.8v...on air lol. my temps got high so i put em back.

Also i was gonna say something important but go figure it ran away from me.

ohh yah when applying so much voltage to a cpu ur really cutting its life in half and if you do somethign that requires 100% of the cpu (not like any games or benchies or super pi etc) but like engineering programs and very intesive hardcore programs liek that your cpu will cause errors once in a while. When you apply more voltage to a cpu you actually slowly degraids that lines or paths (cant find real word) were the electons pass and sooner or later those paths well cut off or become smaller to an extent that the cpu will lose a function.

Yup that's a process known as electron migration. My best understanding of it

electron's tend to flow from 1 trace to another. When the electrons flow they slowly take the Dopa's of the trace with it. Slowly forming traces of thier own.(Spurs and whiskers)Some traces get blocked by a spur, And shortcuts form to other traces.(Whiskers) I believe this happens to some degree even at stock voltages.On modern processors. Once it starts to set in yer' processor will need more and more volts. Making the problem worse and worse. It's best to keep it as cool as possible and use a few volts as you can. I think my xp2600m has been bitten by that abit. Not alot but I have noticed the diffrence. Hence my big delay in joinin' the GGG club. Here in the nf4 overclockin' section. My processor want too many volt's for my taste and I don't like it. but I think I can fix it. It's just gonna' take awhile. :tooth:

yah thats the term i was looking for. My amd 2500+ got siverly crippled cause of that, it wasn't the best overclocker max wa slike 2.3ghz but after time it just couldn't do 2.3ghz anymore and i had to shove it to stock :(

My XP-M usta do 12X210 on my [email protected](Max vcore-vid Best I could get outta' that board and mems ATM) Then I got my "Infinity" "DFI"sister known as the "Ho" and started clockin' it way up there. Spent alot of time @1.975volts. Anyway to make along storey short . My Ho died. so I put my processor back in the asus for the time bein'.

Anyway she won't clock 12X210 anymore "toaster" [email protected]. Not stable at all. Still it's respectible@242X10 1.675 volt s but I think it usta' get that @1.65.

At anyrate I really don't want to make the same mistake with my opteron.(Yet)

Guest Timmay

OOo Im itching to get my Mobo Back, Just a quick question can I do an entry for OCZ ram and then change to another kit and do another entry?