Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Smith

very weird windows boot

I need a suggestion here, please.

I had a hard drive failure or ezRaid failure or both today, but found one good drive that I can get to boot up via a less than normal process. The BIOS sees it correctly. I have run chkdsk on it successfully.

The drive is presently on SATA 3. If I attempt a normal boot, the BIOS reports that there is a boot drive failure. If I attempt a normal boot except that the Windows 2000 installation CD is in the CD player, and I let the "hit any key to boot from the CD" time run out, Windows will boot from the hard drive.

Note that relative to my sig below, there is nothing presently hooked to IDE1.

What's going on here? Does the drive have to be on SATA1 to be seen as the boot drive. Have I forgotten something in the BIOS that needs adjustment?

Thanks for any suggestions

kirby

The quick answer is no, because the EZraid was on IDE1 and I wasn't running any RAID on the SATA. I don't think I installed the nVidia raid drivers. The BIOS shows the four SATA drives as individuals, but maybe there is some place in the BIOS I haven't looked to check.

I'll confirm next reboot, which should be very soon.

I think I'll try making the boot drive SATA1 so it is the first drive seen. The BIOS might be confused by the order of drives in this temporary setup.

Thanks

kirby

Make sure the IDE drives are not receiving power when setting up on the SATA. GL

oundx98:

I'm not sure what you mean by IDE drives and power. Presently, there are only CD/DVD drives on IDE2.

I think I may have fixed it as a result of your first response. I did not find any mention of RAID in the BIOS. However, I did find a tertiary menu specifying the boot order of each type of drive (not the order of types). I think the BIOS was finding the data harddrive (then on SATA1) and not finding a boot partition, and would stop before finding the harddrive on SATA3.

I moved the boot harddrive to SATA1, removed the other hard drive and IOmega drive temporarily, and got the BIOS to boot without an install CD present. Strangely, the boot harddrive is listed in the harddrive boot order menu as channel 4. I am unclear how SATA1 becomes channel 4, but wadda I know.

Thanks again, and please clarify your last remark. I am depowering the computer when moving drives on the SATA ports.

kirby

[drive config in signature not presently correct]

If an IDE Storage drive (not Optical) is connected when setting up windoze on a SATA drive, Windoze likes to write a few files to the the IDE instead of SATA preventing a boot unless XP CD is in the CD-ROM (cause it finds the missing files on the CD-ROM)

For Further clarification to my previous posts, if the boot disk is a RAID array (IDE or SATA) and the bios is corrupted by overclocking/excessive tweaking OR if the CMOS is cleared (say after a bios flash) the RAID array will be disabled (default setting) and the settings under Integrated Periphials must then be set to "RAID Enabled" again for proper boot.

Even when using a 2 disk RAID array I always enable all four SATA ports as something somewhere if definately mislabeled. Hope that makes more sense and that I am not confusing the issue further.

Not at all. I learned something new.

Once I removed the data harddrive, I was not only able to boot with the boot harddrive on SATA1, but now I could use it back on IDE1 where it was originally embedded in the Arco EzRAID. I didn't get it to work there by itself originally because of the data drive and my not discovering the CD timeout trick.

Now to get the data harddrive and IOmega drive back into play and all I'll have to do is RMA the EzRAID.

Thanks again

kirby