HSF Fan Quits....

Wingspar,

Glade to help and glade your temps dropped.

I do not enable Shutdown Temperature. Instead I enable alarms in my MBM 5 at certain temps. Probably should enable Shutdown Temperature as a last resort.

Increase in rpm’s is normal. You can tweak the “Temps On” setting to limit the speed fluctuations.

It can be a trade off, a little noise verses the higher temps. I found the chipset cooler fan to be the main culprit.

The other thing increasing the chipset cooler fan rpm will shorten it’s life. Think about a replacement. The Evercool VC-RE chipset replacement coolers is a very good one. Use AS5 when replacing the chipset cooler. Follow the AS5 instructions for bare a chip.

EDIT: I enabled my "Shutdown Temperature" at 60ºC.

I set the shutdown temp to 60 degrees. It’s running so cool now, something extremely drastic would have to happen to double the temps up to 60c.

I’ve read so much about the problems with the stock chip set fan and the Evercool VC-RE chipset replacement cooler, that I’ll probably pick one up just to have it on hand when/if I need it. The price is extremely reasonable, so I would only be out the price of a hamburger if I never needed/used it. So far, fan noise isn’t bad at all, and I have it sitting on top of a desk. When it’s all set up, it’ will be under the desk on the floor, so I will be even further insulated from it.

I’m about ready to start installing software. Next big hurdle will be setting this up so it controls the network, and connects two computers to the internet. I expect the networking part to be major. No matter how simple people make it sound, setting up networks has to be the most complicated thing I’ve done where I don’t have a clue as to how I did it when I’m done.