Sign in to follow this  
wingspar

HSF Fan Quits....

My build is together, and I’ve got the OS installed. That’s all so far. Several times now, and now every time I turn the computer on after it’s been turned off for a while, when I boot up, the hsf fan comes on for a very brief time, then stops. It will then jerk every two or three seconds like it’s trying to start up again, but never does. The only way I can get the fan going again is to shut down, unplug the fan from the board, and plug it back in. Then it will work fine for as long as the computer is on. This morning, I turned it on to start installing drivers, and I had to shut it down and unplug and plug the hsf fan back in twice. Not just once.

Stock hsf.

Anyone ever seen this before? What could be causing this?

Where do you have your HSF 3pin power connected to? Motherboard? straight to the PSU? Did you go into the Bios to set the correct fan speed for your HSF? It sounds like the fan controls, you need to adjust them. Let me know if this helps....

Note: I don't think you've stated the PSU you're using in your system? You'll need to put that in your Sig as well. I hope you're not using a unknown brand PSU because these DFI boards need good solid PSU. :)

yes mine duz that as well, in the bios you can set the minimum temps for ur fans to run mine duz not run until it hits the 25c mark

HSF is plugged into the motherboard, just where it is supposed to be plugged in. Here is a photo that says it better than I can put into words.

59770638.build07_0808.jpg

I have the shutdown temp disabled in the bios. I haven’t touched that, nor did I know there was a correct fan speed for the hsf I was supposed to put into the bios. Should I just enable this and not worry about it? It does make me nervous when that fan doesn’t come on.

Here is a photo, as I’m not that great with words when trying to describe something that I can just take a picture of. Does everything else in this screen shot look ok? Fan speeds?

61295806.bios_health_status_1669.jpg

Mack27.... Uh, psu is 4th down in my sig. Always been there.

As bios clearly shows cpu fan off at <25c you can hook to psu or fan controller to give you control.

As bios clearly shows cpu fan off at <25c

But, since the “Shutdown Temperature” is disabled, as my screen shot shows, the fan should not go off at 25c, should it?

you can hook to psu or fan controller to give you control.

I don’t understand.

Go into the BIOS, under PC Health Status and set the:

“CPUfan Fully On…” > 26ºC

and

“NB Fan Fully On…” > 40ºC

It will come on and stay on more or less. You have the “CPUfan Fully On…” > 50º so it will not come on until is hits this temp.

I notice that when I do this my whole system seems cooler.

Two points...

a) The shutdown temperature is to shut down the computer if the CPU is too hot. The 'shut off fan below X degrees C' is fan specific.

B) I have observed that the Panaflo fan I use can be off even when the CPU is above 25 degrees. This is because the voltage the MB controller feeds it when the chip is not too hot is below the voltage needed to start the fan. I just measured 3.5 something volts a while ago, for example. You can see that there is some voltage there by hand starting the fan blades. If the fan runs, the voltage is below the starting voltage, but above zero. Maybe the MB designers assumed fans are modeled as brushless dc torque motors.

I believe somewhere on Panasonic's web site, or maybe was NH Ball Bearings web site, the voltage minimum for that fan is specified. And I think it was 7 volts.

Anyway, I decided to overcome the low voltage problem with a circuit that leaves the MB in control at the hot end, limits the low end voltage to 7.4 volts, and pulls most of the power from the PSU. I'll explain further when I can formalize the schematic and have more time on the circuit in situ. Two such circuits are working at the moment for both CPU fan and fan no. 2, which I have blowing on the PWM power circuit fins.

kirby

Go into the BIOS, under PC Health Status and set the:

“CPUfan Fully On…” > 26ºC

and

“NB Fan Fully On…” > 40ºC

It will come on and stay on more or less. You have the “CPUfan Fully On…” > 50º so it will not come on until is hits this temp.

Thanks. I did just that. I thought that the “Disabled” at the top meant that all the temps below would be ignored. Looking at the “Disabled”, which I haven’t done before, opened my eyes on that. I’m leaving that alone at “Disabled.

Going down to the temps, I changed the two you recommended.

Thanks. I just learned something about the PC Health Status part of the BIOS. Guess I need a kick start once in a while.

Now, for what this did. While typing this response, I noticed a fan on the new machine spinning up real fast for a while, then dying back down. After making those changes, I see the following in the BIOS.

CPU temp went from 36c to 31c

Chip Set temp went from 43c to 41c

CPU fan speed went from 1132 rpm to fluctuating from 3183 to 3245 rpm

Chip Set fan speed went from 3375 rpm to fluctuating from 7031 to 7336 rpm

From Smart Guardian

CPU temp 26c

CPU fan 3184 to 3245 rpm

Chip Set 42c

Chip Set fan 5114 -5273 rpm

For some reason, I’m not hearing the spinning up then spinning down of the fan anymore, and don’t even know which fan it is that’s doing that, but making those changes in the BIOS sure increased the rpm’s of those two fans. Those rpm’s look ok?

Two points...

a) The shutdown temperature is to shut down the computer if the CPU is too hot. The 'shut off fan below X degrees C' is fan specific.

I left that “Disabled”. Does anyone use this feature?

I left that “Disabled”. Does anyone use this feature?
I always set shutdown temp to 60 degrees. Never know, it just may save your CPU.

Guest Blooz1

I've tried it with low settings just to see if it works, and yes, it does!

I also set mine at 60C just to be on the safe side!