Opty 165 kills my ram timings

Manga

My Opteron with stepping CCBBE 0610DPMW seems to be a nice one. 2.7GHz @ tosck volt prime stable for 13+ hours. For this I use the XP-120. The only trouble is my ram. I have 2GB G.Skill DDR500 that can do 260MHz @ 3-4-3-6-1 (stock DDR500 HZ, 3-4-4-8-1). Now I have to put it down to 143MHz, resulting in a poor 208MHz @ 3-3-3-8. Should I raise the vcore, is the mem controller weak, is it something else? Is it something with the timings? Please help, cause this Opty is a rocker!

Edit: if the ram speed is too high or the timings are too tight, there's a bsod: machine check exception 0x0000009C.

Here's some pics of settings en timings:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/71/p10100738io.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6727/p10100745dp.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1626/p10100758an.jpg

Another great OC on an Ultra-D board. Your Opty rocks dude. Yeah, you are not the first one who have the same problem, running 260 or 270 on the ram stable and for some reason when putting the settings together with the cpu, it wont work. I have seen many users with the same problems. Just keep at it and I think its just one or two settings that is just missing a tweak with the bios. Have you tried a latest bios? :)

Having troubles atm with my floppy. I'll try that after the weekend. Is there something in de timings or settings I've posted so far what can explain the lower ram speeds and higher timings?

Ok: I changed CPU VID Startup value to 1.4V, since the systeem wouldn't boot with higer ram speeds of lower timings. So, with that raised and mem set to 166MHz the systeem was able to boot @ 2792MHz, with memory @ 253MHz @ 3-4-4-7! Running dual Prime now for some time, looks ok so far.

Only thing I don't get: I thought I just changed the startup vcore, but now in Windows I see the vcore is 1.4 in general. What's the use of CPU VID Control and CPU VID Special Control in the bios?

Ok: I changed CPU VID Startup value to 1.4V, since the systeem wouldn't boot with higer ram speeds of lower timings. So, with that raised and mem set to 166MHz the systeem was able to boot @ 2792MHz, with memory @ 253MHz @ 3-4-4-7! Running dual Prime now for some time, looks ok so far.

Only thing I don't get: I thought I just changed the startup vcore, but now in Windows I see the vcore is 1.4 in general. That doens't look like the explaining of the features over here.

I think i might have the same problem, I have the same stepping and highest i can get stable is 2.88ghz, none of the settings i try get me past 2.9 stable, I tried for 3ghz but windows wont even boot, I think I need to try the latest dfi official bios, Iam using 623-3 right now I think thats causing the problem, I see alot of people hitting 3ghz with this same stepping and I dont see why I cant, nothing i have is limiting, anyway I think its the bios.

quick question, I have my settings saved to a slot in my bios you know, and if I change bios'es can I still go back and load from those settings, or will it not work since its a new bios?

Yes you can, thats the beauty of the CMOS. I used to take digital pics of my prime stable bios after running it for 8+ hrs, now I just save it on the CMOS. :nod:

Well I tried loading from my saved settings but on a different bios it doesnt work