Sign in to follow this  
shmoe010

How good is dfi onboard sound?

I've got a set of Logitech Z-680s and Z-5500s. I've tested them side by side with the onboard sound on the Lanparty nF4 and a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS.

The only detectable difference was the noise floor on the Audigy2 was slightly better than the onboard sound.

I use the Audigy2 in my home theater PC since it's THX certified just like the Z-5500s.

Well after upgrading from my ond crappy MSI K7N2 mobo with 32bit cpu, i found that on my Ultra-D the sound is much more crist and it can go quite a bit louder without distorting... very hapy with on boardsound :)

I spend about a grand just for the speakers in my not so expensive truck. The onboard sound is good though no soundstorm. I have a audigy2 but never bother to put it in with the stupid drivers

When my klipsch were working the onboard sound drove me crazy and I bought an audigy with a diffrent system and amp much of the garbage seems to get filtered out.

I spend about a grand just for the speakers in my cheap truck. The onboard sound is good though no soundstorm. I have a audigy2 but never bother to put it in with the poor driver support. They have drivers that work but findiong the right ones can be a pain.

When my klipsch were working the onboard sound drove me crazy and I bought an audigy with a diffrent system and amp much of the garbage seems to get filtered out. Nerver get Kiplitch they dont support their systems though the speakers themselves are good.

Does the Karajan module actually offload any of the cpu workload (i.e. does it have its own dedicated chipset?)

I've never even had the Karajan module plugged into my board. My old Audigy2 ZS just follows me from build to build.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Im pretty sure it uses cpu cycles

the only reason they made it a raised add on card was to reduce the noise

it's actually pretty good

I have decent noise cancelling headphones and with the nvidia equalizer tuned right it sounds pretty good

I have no need for anything better lol

By far this is the best board i have ever had to install, to put my machine together, get windows installed and boot into XP pro it took me about 3 hours, flat out amazing, the card is great, that is once you get the drivers down, i had alot of trouble with them not working the first month or so and finally after about my fifth install of the drivers they are working, keep the card, runs great on my 5.1 with games, movies, music, basically everything i throw at it

The Karajan sounds good but if you game, you will get a small FPS improvement with a card. FWIW.

I had some pops and skips (whatever) with on board. I bought Audigy2 ZS and love it. No more pops. Right now $69 Newegg.

Maybe needed to adjust something onboard but ran out of options.

I've got a lot more then that invested in my stereo system and it's surprising how good the onboard sound is played through it. But I am sending the signal through coax to a Theta outboard DAC first. That might have some influence on it.

Yeh that would mean you are bypassing the onboard DACs :rolleyes:

Yeh that would mean you are bypassing the onboard DACs :rolleyes:

I've never heard the sound any other way. So I'm probably not in a position to judge how good it is.