-Weird X1900XTX problems- Please help before I shoot myself!

Hi all,

Although I've been reading the board for a few weeks now I've not posted yet. Basically I've just finished a new gaming build for use at home, which you can see from my sig.

I got an SLI board and an 7900GTX. The plan being to add another card later on down the line some time. Anyway, like a lot of people I've had major problems with the 7900GTX card so I decided to RMA it and go for an X1900XTX instead. So yep, I have an SLI board running an ATI card! But it should work on my board I think....

Anyway....I simply can't install the drivers for the card, or rather, I can, but they wont see the card properly.... I can't get windows to recognize the card properly.

Now, while trying to get it working this evening I'm also noticing strange things happening with the network connection. "limited or no connectivity" and it seems to keep reinstalling itself, its now on local area connection 8 or 9!

So whatever is going on it seems to be messing with that as well. Conflict? So right now I have my X1900XTX appearing 2 times as an unknown in device manager.

ITs driving me nuts!!

I've installed and un installed the card about 10 times, driver cleaner pro... catalyst uninstall etc. same thing happens, I install the drivers, reboot, card not installed, still listed 2 times as unknown, limited or no connectivity with the ethernet.

Now I have had it working, installed properly first time around, right out of the box. But it kept crashing.... so I was trying to resolve the problem and now cant get it to work at all.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never said what drivers you were using. I would try the official CAT 6.5's or better yet, the Omega 6.5's (the only difference if you dont know are that the Omega drivers dont come with the Catalyst control Centre, but with the old ATi Control Panel instead...much better IMO). Right off the bat when i got my card i have never had a problem with drivers recognizing it. Did you go from the 7900GTX to the x1900XTX without formatting? Also, do you have the latest drivers for your motherboard?

If your X1900XTX appears twice that's for Primary and secondary cards which is normal. Just re-format unless you have things on the drive that you need to keep. So your network keeps on disconnecting? Download DriverHeaven Pro and completely clean ATI/nVIDIA drivers from both the video cards and the chipset drivers as well and start over. :)

I am running the Omega 6.5 drivers at the moment.

Well, I've had some progress.

I formated the whole thing and started over, and as soon as I got into windows it started again. It seems the X1900XTX is using IRQ 5 along with the network controller. In fact there are 4 things sharing that IRQ, is that normal? I remember years ago being able to change IRQ's myself in device manager. Can't seem to do that anymore...It just felt like I was having a conflict there.

So at the moment, I have the Marvell Yukon Gigabit ethernet controller disabled. And the rig is running ok apart from crashes in games!! Pauses and bad stutters. Which result in reboots sometimes.

Playing Oblivion the game will just hang out of the blue, sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 5 mins, then my monitor turns off, I wiggle the mouse and it wakes up and then I can carry on playing the game.

So BIG pauses happening. MY temps look ok to me. the GPU is not going much over 70 and its not overclocked.

Any thoughts? I don't have a RAID array set up at the moment, and I've just put a second drive in, is that going to cause me problems? To be honest I dont know anything about RAID.

In fact there are 4 things sharing that IRQ

What are the other things sharing that IRQ? Sound card?

If its the sound card, try changing the PCI slot that its in to another one and see how that goes.

Also, that PSU you have...is that on the recommended list? Are you sure that it has enough power on the 12V rail to support the XTX along with your other hardware?

EDIT: I got a bit confused when i looked at your specs. Its says you have an Aspire case with a 500W PSU...what psu is it? Most likely if it came with the case, its not enough to power the rig you have so swapping that out might cure what is going on.

Another thing i didnt notice (sorry, sunday... ;P) is that you have an X-Fi card. Have you tried taking that out and seeing how your rig runs? Im guessing its part of the IRQ conflict so i would see if thats the factor that is being missed by taking it out. See how windows does with it not in the system, and if it works ok, then put it in a different PCI slot then see.

I've now resolved the IRQ conflict. And yes you're right, the X-FI was a part of the problem. to much going to IRQ 5, including the network controller and the Video card and the X-FI. But Its sorted now.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the PSU. After some searching in the forums, it is listed right here on DFI-street as a PSU to be avoided!! It's made by Turbolink.

So tell me, does this sound like PSU problems.......

When I play games, and the GPU gets hot, and I have all the nice bells and whistles turned on.... I get bad pauses and stutters after playing for a time, and I even get crazy graphical artifacting in some games, lines shooting out into infinity, missing polygons, and loads of colored blobs all over the screen.

First time I saw this kind of problem was with my 7900GTX card from XFX, which I just RMA back to newegg thinking there was something wrong with it~!.... its now been replaced by a new Saphire X1900XTX. And just now, moments ago, for the first time.... I got the exact same graphical corruption with this new X1900XTX, as I did with the 7900GTX Nvidia card. Exactly the same!

Does that sound like PSU or what? Because surely it can't be that these two completely different cards have the very same problems, can it?

Here is my PSU details, maybe you guys can tell me something from looking at this.

11144164117bc.jpg

Do I need a new PSU? if so what one shall I get ?

Thanks for any help

You only have EDIT: 34 amps on the 12v rail. When i look in ATiTool when my card is loaded, it takes upwards of 34 amps ALONE!!! So yea, i would say that your PSU is definetly underpowered. There is a link HERE to the recommended PSU's for DFI boards. You should be good once you get a PSU off that list.

Glad you got one of the problems sorted. Now you just have to throw a bit of money at it to fix it, lol.

EDIT: One of those new OCZ GamerXtreme PSU's should cure what ails you. Just grab the 600W one to be safe.

Yeah, gimme proper power man! This PSU sucks. There's not even a dedicated PCI-E cable!

Thanks Ellis for bringing this to light. I'm going to do some reading then get a better one.

:)