Sign in to follow this  
Donco

first time build need help I have been screwed long enough

So im building a new pc for the first time as pc world have ****** me by selling me a piece of **** that has broken down and will cost me $400 to fix and guess what the warranty ran out 3 months ago coincidence I think not.And now im gonna build my own pc to stop this happening again Im from Canada and have $2000 to spend I only have my speakers left so i need a new pc unit, so can someone please help as I dont know much and any help would be appreciated.So far im planning on getting this kit which I will use for gaming,video editing, internet and other stuff.

AMD OPTERON DC 165 1.80G/2M/S939

AMD64 S939 DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D PCIE

BFG PCIE GF7 7900GT OC 256M VIVO BOX 7900GT

OCZ 500MHZ DDR NO-ECC 2048MB PLAT GX XTC KIT

Caviar 250GB / SATA II / 7200RPM / 16MB Cache

DVD+/-RW NEC 3550A 16/16 OEM BLACK

19IN SAMSUNG 997MB SILVER

Logitech MX518 Game Mouse

Logitech Media Keyboard Elite *Black*

Antec TruePower 2.0 550W (Should i got with this one or with the ocz modstream)

Thermaltake Soprano Black

CPU FAN SCYTHE NINJA PLUS HEATSINK

WESTERN DIGITAL Raptor 36GB / SATA / 10K RPM

If I have missed something or these parts are not any good please tell me

Oh yeah im not using any parts from my old pc as I dont trust them. And BTW im planning on doing some OC, getting my opty to at least 2.4.

So im building a new pc for the first time as pc world have ****** me by selling me a piece of **** that has broken down and will cost me $400 to fix and guess what the warranty ran out 3 months ago coincidence I think not.And now im gonna build my own pc to stop this happening again Im from Canada and have $2000 to spend I only have my speakers left so i need a new pc unit, so can someone please help as I dont know much and any help would be appreciated.So far im planning on getting this kit which I will use for gaming,video editing, internet and other stuff.

AMD OPTERON DC 165 1.80G/2M/S939

AMD64 S939 DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D PCIE

BFG PCIE GF7 7900GT OC 256M VIVO BOX 7900GT

OCZ 500MHZ DDR NO-ECC 2048MB PLAT GX XTC KIT

Caviar 250GB / SATA II / 7200RPM / 16MB Cache

DVD+/-RW NEC 3550A 16/16 OEM BLACK

19IN SAMSUNG 997MB SILVER

Logitech MX518 Game Mouse

Logitech Media Keyboard Elite *Black*

Antec TruePower 2.0 550W (Should i got with this one or with the ocz modstream)

Thermaltake Soprano Black

CPU FAN SCYTHE NINJA PLUS HEATSINK

WESTERN DIGITAL Raptor 36GB / SATA / 10K RPM

If I have missed something or these parts are not any good please tell me

Oh yeah im not using any parts from my old pc as I dont trust them. And BTW im planning on doing some OC, getting my opty to at least 2.4.

Go for the OCZ Power supply, wait for an Extra Months salary & get a 512Mb 7900GT or better still, the GTX. The 512Mb makes a big difference in todays games & the GTX will give you better overall performance. If you're willing to wait for more cash, get the G5 Logitch, it blows the MX518

*edit* a Better Heatsink is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU .... Its head is directional from the base & the bottom 3 fins force cold air over the Mobos Mofsets etc. This cooler is as good, if not better, as the Thermaltake XP120.

Also consider different Ram such as the Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4400 Pro TwinX ..its rated DDR 550 and has memory timings tables which the OCZ doesn't. Providing you get a Good 165 Opty, you should get a Fast fsb & be able to keep 1:1 timings.

everything looks like it will make for a very nice setup. The only gripe I have is with the psu. I know that the antecs are a "recommended" psu for these boards, but I am very unhappy with mine, the truepower 2 480w. The wires are a friggin mess, some of them arent really long enough to be useful in my full atx case, and there arent enough connections. The only thing I CAN say good about this psu is that it is relatively(using the term loosely) cheap, and the actual power production of it seems to be very stable. In short, if I were to choose again, which I probably will in about another month, I would go with either the ocz, or a pc power and cooling if I had the extra cash.

Guest Synchronize

Just a warning about the BFG 7900GT, the fan runs at full speed even in 2d mode which is really loud and annoying. I think this is actually an issue with most makes and the 7900gt though. You can always change the cooler to a VF900. Oh and i'd go with the modstream over the Antec :)

everything looks like it will make for a very nice setup. The only gripe I have is with the psu. I know that the antecs are a "recommended" psu for these boards, but I am very unhappy with mine, the truepower 2 480w. The wires are a friggin mess, some of them arent really long enough to be useful in my full atx case, and there arent enough connections. The only thing I CAN say good about this psu is that it is relatively(using the term loosely) cheap, and the actual power production of it seems to be very stable. In short, if I were to choose again, which I probably will in about another month, I would go with either the ocz, or a pc power and cooling if I had the extra cash.

My feelings exactly NForcer, my 1KW PC P&C PSU will be here on tuesday next week. I killed a 550W Antec True control. :shake:

Welcome aboard :)

You did well with the choice of MB, you cant beat these guys for there support...I am a noob too.. so believe me.. when I say they are great :) I play a hard MORG game and I love my BFG 7800GTX..

Welcome aboard :)

You did well with the choice of MB, you cant beat these guys for there support...I am a noob too.. so believe me.. when I say they are great :) I play a hard MORG game and I love my BFG 7800GTX..

Yeah dude...First off, I'm new to these forums but only because my nF4 SLI DR Expert board is my first DFI product ever. I gotta say...it ROCKS beyond ANY board I have ever had & you're talking to a hardned, now ex Intel guy.

I've built Comp Systems since 1987 here in the UK & have had some scary experience over the years!

I took my nF4 SLI DR Expert out of the Vapo XEII after fitting a 700W sparkle from a 530W tagan...only to see the Mobo turn itself into a swimming pool. :eek: (5v rail @ 4.87v ffs!...so now I've invested in one of these:)

The Mofo of ALL PSU's

Suffice to say, 24 hours later after sticking the Mobo in front of a de-humidifier, Im sat here with a 175 Opty on a 275fsb on Air....so glad the board never fired up with it looking like my front lawn with a real bad & heavy morning Dew all over it's mofsets & Regs around the CPU.

I wouldn't profess to say I know everything there is to know, but the stuff I have mentioned here is certainly very, very good kit. I've got first hand experience building some of the best from the best. I would add, if you're going to build a Rig, don't scrimp & cut costs...you will only cut your own nose off...particulary Putting a Scythe Cooler on a CPU that should go like a Bat out of Hell. Passive cooling on the kit you are buying is like buying a Ferrari & driving it aound like a British Leyland Mini Cooper.

Keep the Revs up & get the best out of your Kit...it should all go like a Stabbed rat. :cool:

if you don't want to drop $500 on a PSU, spring at least for something like OCZ GameXStream 700w, ~$150 USD

stay away from OCZ Modstream, or modular PSUs completely

if you don't want to drop $500 on a PSU, spring at least for something like OCZ GameXStream 700w, ~$150 USD

stay away from OCZ Modstream, or modular PSUs completely

Er...Modular are okay.....just look at the number of rails & how the PSU's overall Amperage & how it is shared amonst it's rails. ;)

Er...Modular are okay.....just look at the number of rails & how the PSU's overall Amperage & how it is shared amonst it's rails. ;)

Welcome to the "Street".

I disagree with this statement. From all of my research, which entailed several months and many hours, the modular PSU's got some bad press. The main problem, fluctuating power.

I wish it weren't so, because I could sure use one of those babies to eliminate some of my cables.

I would go with an OCZ Powerstream 520W. I absolutely couldn't be happier with mine --- so far at least. It is rated as the best all around PSU for DFI boards.

I have to say, I would probably go for a non-modular PSU for my next one. I havent had any fluctuation issues, but i just think that a well made, well cabled non-modular PSU would be neater than a modular PSU where you have to plug just about every connection in anyways. (Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI is a good example of a well cabled non-modular PSU)

With the multiple motherboard connections, video card connector, HDDs, DVDs etc, you have just as many wires coming from the PSU anyways...

Donco: System is looking pretty sweet. This is my first DFI board and I couldnt be happier. The support of the Street is fantastic and worth so much more than some of the gimicks being sold on Motherboards these days.

Sign in to follow this