Do You Plug Your Cpu Fan Into The MB

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on this,I use a sensing wire on the MB,but the fan power itself is adapted to a molex.

I did this after hearing it's possible to blow a fan header on the MB.

Currently installing a Freezer64 Pro on Ultra D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on this,I use a sensing wire on the MB,but the fan power itself is adapted to a molex.

I did this after hearing it's possible to blow a fan header on the MB.

Currently installing a Freezer64 Pro on Ultra D

I use that solution on chipset fan (sensing wire on mb and power from molex). Nothing blown up yet, been running something like 5 to 6 months...

Well if your CPU fan header goes bye bye on your mobo your not going to know it straight away and you could cook your CPU (worst case senario)

I do infact use all my mobo fan headers but all my fans including the CPU are LED so id know if they went off with having a case with a window and it sits next to my monitors.

It is alot safer to use the PSU cause if it goes bad then youll know it straight away.

I do have my CPUFan plugged into my mobo. That bad? Should I adapt it to a molex and plug it into my PSU?

My PSU has smart control so it tunes down fans based on ambient temperature. However, I've heard that isn't recommended plugging a CPU fan into the PSU....

What should I do?

i have mine plugged into the MB and am using the auto-RPM feature of it. since there is nowhere i can reliably stick a thermal probe to monitor the CPU temp to control a fan, i use the MB.

i dont really like the MB's temp control too much though. it seems to either give it min power, a little bit more power than that, or full blast. doesn't really ramp up gradually like i would expect it to. ah well.

on my old P4, i used to stick a thermal probe on the bottom of the CPU and use that to control a fan. too bad it isn't that easy with the AMD proc.

i use the Fan2 header for the PSU's RPM reading. and the Fan3 header runs the chipset fan (an evercool vc-re) and is thermally controlled also. things usually run at about half power it seems except for when it get warmer in the afternoon. so most of the time i am not drawing that much current. should be ok.

I only have videocard and chipset fan connected to the mobo. Mostly it's safe to hook a fan up to the mobo, if you hook up a 3 amp fan to it, you just can't POST, it shouldn't damage anything. Yes, that's a retarded way of doing things, but a Delta GHE/EHE as mentioned before blew up a channel on my fan controller immediately, and it works fine on the mobo as long as it is spinning a little at POST.

The only good fans that don't need much power are Panaflo Hydrowave Ultras. Otherwise, don't plug a decent fan onto your mobo if you value stability.

Guest Blooz1

The fan on my Zalman CNPS7000b is plugged into the MB, but it's low speed, under 2700RPM. All others are run through my Sunbeam controller.