Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

ya didnt read any of this thread or look at the OCZ website for details???

Edited

I present my excuses.

At OCZ site the only info about that is 18A for +12v rails. Not realy giving some info if it is rather to the 600W or 700W version.

As far as i know there are two models "avaliable". One of them i have just seen in reviews.

OCZGSX600 - only seen in reviews

OCZ600GSXSLI - Seen almost everywhere

The first one presents us with quad +12V rails with 18A however the second one gives us just a shallow 15A in +12V rails...

I've asked that in my previous post because i need a PSU. However i do not want to spend money and a year later spend more money again because of the same mistake with the Be-Quiet (lack of power).

The 700W around here is pricey... I shouldn't afford it, but if there's no other way...

That's why i was interested in knowing what the hell is OCZ doing and why the heck are there different GXS psu's avaliable...

Or was that @ 3dgameman just an engineering sample?

oczgxs600.jpg

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSP changed the specs on the Epsional rails several times and went through different revisions of the specsheet.

The problem is that they couldn't make up their mind at which temperature they should give the load specs and what exactly peak means.

Around here i can only get 15A quad rails...

:(

Gonna waith and try to get the 700W version...

:(

What kind of power do you have coming from the outlet there? Could have something to do with that.

I've had experience with both the Modstream and GameXStream. For anyone who thinks modular cables help at all ...

As long as you spend a good amount of time wiring up your case, things will look perfectly fine with or without a modular PSU. There are simply no tangible reasons to buy a modular PSU. You loose power and gain looks. Happy IS right, if you have the choice avoid modular PSUs.

Please, Please, PLEASE!

I'm posting this NOT to argue, but to LEARN.

I have read the interview with PCP&C, and most I could see the logic of.

I esp. liked learning how some firms "cheat" by testing their PSUs at an unrealistic colder temp.

There can be no argument that modular cables are necessary. Of course they are not.

But nether are UV components on motherboards, but many like them.

My question today is about just how much power is lost with the extra connection of the modular supply?

While there may well be some loss, just how much is it and how much effect does it have?

After all, there are plugs (connectors) at one end of each lead, and I've never heard of anyone suggesting faster or more stable opperation can be achieved by soldering the wiring directly from the PSU to the motherboard, drives, etc.

I do remember a time when people had problems when they used SIMMs and expansion cards where the connectors were of different materials.

Say, gold alloy contacts in the SIMM slots being used with tin contacts on the SIMM itself.

Tin to tin = OK; gold to gold = OK; tin to gold = rapid corrosion, high resistance, component failure and a general mess.

But that's a different thing altogether.

I really would be intrested in getting a handle on how much impact this has, and is it more of a problem on some rails than others?

Please, Please, PLEASE!

I'm posting this NOT to argue, but to LEARN.

I have read the interview with PCP&C, and most I could see the logic of.

I esp. liked learning how some firms "cheat" by testing their PSUs at an unrealistic colder temp.

There can be no argument that modular cables are necessary. Of course they are not.

But nether are UV components on motherboards, but many like them.

My question today is about just how much power is lost with the extra connection of the modular supply?

While there may well be some loss, just how much is it and how much effect does it have?

After all, there are plugs (connectors) at one end of each lead, and I've never heard of anyone suggesting faster or more stable opperation can be achieved by soldering the wiring directly from the PSU to the motherboard, drives, etc.

I do remember a time when people had problems when they used SIMMs and expansion cards where the connectors were of different materials.

Say, gold alloy contacts in the SIMM slots being used with tin contacts on the SIMM itself.

Tin to tin = OK; gold to gold = OK; tin to gold = rapid corrosion, high resistance, component failure and a general mess.

But that's a different thing altogether.

I really would be intrested in getting a handle on how much impact this has, and is it more of a problem on some rails than others?

You obviously did not read the interview closely enough. All of your questions are answered.