Sign in to follow this  
xynder

Temps?

I am using the pre-applied thermal stuff that was on the Arctic Freezer 64 PRO.

I have... 4 case fans.

I live in Arizona... outside it's about 110, and my house is around 79 or 80.

I just primed all night (about 7hrs). Woke up and booted SmartGuardian, and my CPU was 40 or 41C. I guess that's the load temp?

I did however notice that the "PWM IC" temp is reported as 51 or 52 degrees, and it's in red in Smartguardian. Do I need to worry about this?

That's pretty normal. If you want to keep it cooler, do a search and there's some chipset fan everyone uses.

What the HELL?!

I resat the heatsink fan and bundled up some of the wires to allow for better airflow. I popped the case back on, plugged in the power, and voila - NOTHING.

The power socket is fine. My computer should be powering on/showing the led lights, BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!

What the hell. I've been very cautious around this computer. The power couldn't have just gone bad, could it???

Check you plugged everything, and turned everything on.

Are you getting the yellow lights that are on when the motherboard has power?

If so check that your power switch is plugged in properly. Maybe try using the quick buttons on the board instead.

Whew, at least that problem is fixed... As much as I love the OCZ 520 Powerstream, it's been a pain in the butt. The wires just don't want to stay firmly plugged in sometimes..

I plugged the 120mm back fan into the Fan2 powersupply, and I'm now getting a reading on it. 1230 revs/min.

After feng shui-ing the place, I'm getting Idles of cpu, pwm ic, and chipset at 35,44, and 47. Still not good though...

I heard that Opteron's stock heatsink/fan was decent, would applying AS5 instead of the stuff it came with really change things?

The 120mm.. should I switch that out?

The air intake up front, would switching that out do anything? The chipset fan? (It's DFI's)

Opening up the case really doesn't seem to do anything to the temps. I even lay it down underneath the room fan to no avail. Also, it's about 28C in this room....

I bought this board because I heard the support was exceptional... I've been waiting a couple days now for some help with this problem.

I don't feel like I'm asking stupid questions, so where is the help? I have a 0609 opt chip, a chip I hear can run at 3.0ghz on air cooling, and yet I'm hitting 45C on load at 1.8ghz.

What is going on? My board should be running 10C cooler than this, why isn't it?

Yes, so?

80F seems around the norm.. I also have the stock DFI chipset fan, an 80 mm front and 120 mm back fan, and a coolermaster case.

Even leaving my case on the side with it open and my room fan blowing down on it, I get the same temps...

To me, it sounds like either your HSF is not seated correctly or your board is simply reading hot. I'd bet on the former.

I HAVE heard of some AMD chips that just plain run hot over on the AMD forum and should be RMA'ed. But, that'd require you stuffing the CPU in another board and confirming the temps on that as well.

Anyhow, get some thermal grease (preferably Arctic Silver 5) if you don't have it already and try and reseat that HSF of yours with only a small dab about the size of a grain of rice.

I've seated it twice.

Although it's my first time building, I'd bet my life on it that I've done it right.

It ain't hard. I took the Opteron heatsink/TIM, placed it over the processor, and clamped it down.

I did it again just to be sure that I did it right the first time. The TIM looked very nicely mushed, and it was just as easy to reset the second time.