Best Tubing Size for water cooling

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1/2 inch Tubing
    • 3/8 inch tubing
    • 1/4 inch tubing
    • OTHER please explain

im gonna be running CPU BLOCK, NV-78 SLI water blocks for GPU what is the best size of tubing for water cooling and why ....1/2 or 3/8 ???

please provide reasoning behind your response

I chose other because the best size is 7/16" ID tubing. You still use it with 1/2" barbs so you retain the greater flow of the larget ID tubing... but barbs are 1/2" OD while regular 1/2" ID tubing is ID (duh!) but the inside of the barbs and fittings are smaller than 1/2" so if you use 7/16" ID tubing you will have a more uniform loop ID than if you used 1/2" and you will have tighter fitting seals as the 7/16" ID tubing will fit slightly tighter over the barbs than will 1/2" ID tubing.

I tried both 1/2" and 7/16" in my current loop.

1/2"

Pros

Easy to fit over barbs

Looks neat

Cons

Can cause MINIMAL resistance as the ID is larger than that of the ID of the barbs

Crowds cases

7/16"

Pros

Tight fit over barbs

makes a clean look

doesnt crowd case

Cons

If its your first loop you may want to go 1/2" just for confusion sake

can be a pain to get over barbs

I voted 7/16" Tygon for the reasons already mentioned. Had no problem fitting tubing over the barbs. Used a heat gun on the tubing.

Yep, 1/2"!

Running the sig (where I should update the cooling) with two custom copper WB. Highly efficient, non-restrictive, 800l/h pump, 1/2" ID Reimatic tubing, Golf2 heatercore (2x120mm fans @ 980rpm, sucking air). Deviation under 500mm

Opty 144 @ [email protected] (real, load, DMM)

Galaxy 7600GS G73, GDDR3 1.4ns (500/1400) @ 720/1800MHz, Vmoded (Vgpu [email protected], Vmem [email protected])

Ambient temp: 28*

Water in reservoir temp: 29/33*

CPU temp: 30/38*

GPU temp: 42/49*

Ambient temp: 25*

Water in reservoir temp: 27/32*

CPU temp: 30/36*

GPU temp: 38/44*

Load temps are after 5+ hours of BF2 1024x768, 4AA, 16AF, HQ, LOD -1. Pretty happy. Only con - the tubing looks HUGE.

At night I run it passive - only the pump and the chipset fan@2300rpm. Running Bitcomet, Download Master, StrongDC, QIP, CC Proxy, MBM5, Weather Watcher, Kaspersky, Loly-Pop - avg load 13%. Now I'm using a "home made C'n'Q", will post it in single thread. In the morning the temps are:

Ambient temp: 25*

Water in reservoir temp: 33*

CPU temp: 34*

GPU temp: 47*

Here's a screenie @ [email protected] (real, load, DMM) - 14hrs of SP2004 @ 25* ambient temp and everything at min rpm:

14hsp20041425v4lr.th.jpg