Wierd Crossfire Issue

I tried the registry fix / patch above and the new drivers for AMD and that made things worse, instead of corruption at that same section it simply crashed to desktop. So I backed everything back to before that was put on. The drivers also really slowed fps down on the few tests that did complete.

Silly me I forgot to check IRQ conflicts so I will do that when I get home.

I did test each card individually (again) and they both complete 05 and 06 without any issues at all. Really the 05 problem in crossfire was resolved after changing that one setting in bios recommended by Angry (or Happy now).

As noted in my sig I dont have any additional PCI cards (sound is onboard) so unless the IRQ's are conflicting with one of the ATI cards and the SATA (as stated above) I am really at a loss.

Thanks to all that have replied!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I checked the IRQ's and actually both cards are sharing IRQ's with something or another.

Crossfire Edition Card IRQ18

Network Card IRQ18

USB Controllers IRQ18

X1900XTX Card IRQ19

Network Card IRQ19

Uli SATA/Raid Controller IRQ19

Screenshot

First I am going to update my bios to 5/23 then try and get the vid cards on their own seperate IRQ's then I will see about upping the PCI freq. Hopefully one of those three will resolve the problem. But I am leaning more towards an IRQ issue since it was posted that someone else had a problem almost the same as me.

Well .. once my slave card got shared IRQ with SATA ULI RAID and network card, and i got frequent disconnects when running world of warcraft, removed slave, disabled network card, changed some option in bios to reset IRQ (not sure whats that option is called) :D and it was ok. Im just referring to MikeMK on guru3D, he got this weird problem in 3D Mark 06 too and it was because of his Creative Xfi shared IRQ with slave card.

Perhaps a dumb question but do you think you can rattle your memory as to how you resolved this?

I tried manually setting IRQ's in bios but it appears the ACPI overrides it and I end up right back where I started.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I may have answered my own question..

It appears the only way to let bios set the IRQ's is by setting windows in "Standard PC" mode (ACPI turned off)

Before I go that route I am going to try to disable the USB Controller and the network cards to see if that helps at all, I cant really disable the Uli Sata controller (which I feel is the culprit) because I am currently using it but I may try switching over to the Sil to see what IRQ it grabs and try it that way.

I may have answered my own question..

It appears the only way to let bios set the IRQ's is by setting windows in "Standard PC" mode (ACPI turned off)

Before I go that route I am going to try to disable the USB Controller and the network cards to see if that helps at all, I cant really disable the Uli Sata controller (which I feel is the culprit) because I am currently using it but I may try switching over to the Sil to see what IRQ it grabs and try it that way.

If i turn off ACPI in bios, i cant even get to windows, so first time i got problem with sound when some data was copied on background for example, installing game, sound randomly slowing down, so then i reinstalled windows, and now it does when my downloading is at max (200KB/s) more speed, more slowdown, isnt this mobo great? one network card stopped to work, dont know why either. Soundcard shows that it share IRQ (21) with something, but i cant find with what, it doesnt show.

Well I have the same issue and I guess I know where not to post this kind of question in the future. :P

Not a single reply. :(

The master card is a late addition and my single X1900xtx did not have this issue.

Sometimes it will crash but if I reboot the system in crossfire mode it won’t crash but I get the same stutter at the same time as DemonJester.

Going back and forth from Crossfire to use my dual displays seems to be an issue for most games. If I switch crossfire on after having booted up most games won’t run. So I have to switch Crossfire on and then reboot.

All the games seem to run fine but I just have the issue in the Canyon Flight. Just makes me wonder what that benchmark is doing right at that moment.

I don't think you should do manual IRQ's because it wouldn't be possible. I think you have to reset your IRQ's and that's done in the bios. Go into that specific menu/page and see which options you have, i think someone has already discussed reset IRQ somewhere in this forum. So maybe a search or if you're lucky enough he will see your thread and come in here explain. I hope this helps...

Well I have the same issue and I guess I know where not to post this kind of question in the future. :P

Not a single reply. :(

The master card is a late addition and my single X1900xtx did not have this issue.

Sometimes it will crash but if I reboot the system in crossfire mode it won’t crash but I get the same stutter at the same time as DemonJester.

Going back and forth from Crossfire to use my dual displays seems to be an issue for most games. If I switch crossfire on after having booted up most games won’t run. So I have to switch Crossfire on and then reboot.

All the games seem to run fine but I just have the issue in the Canyon Flight. Just makes me wonder what that benchmark is doing right at that moment.

Dont give up hope yet.. I am working on getting it resolved and "when" I do I will be sure to post here how I did it.

I simply have not had much time to work on a solution these past few days, but the entire weekend (if needed) is blocked out for me on getting this solved.

Are your IRQ's similar to mine??

Well after pulling out all my hair and drinking about 2 cases of beer trying to figure this stupid issue out, I finally got it sorted out.

First here is what I tried that didnt work.

I switched the PC into Standard Mode (ACPI off) you dont have to reinstall to do this, but dont waste your time as it didnt help my case at all, yes I could manually assign the IRQ's in bios and they would stick in windows but the problem was the devices were still sharing the IRQ's and I could find a way to assign individual devices in bios that were already "grouped" together.

I tried clearing CMOS, with my slave card removed, this didnt work due to as soon as I put the card back in BIOS "grouped" it right back where it was and windows simply followed suit.

What did work:

I removed both my Master and Slave cards, put in an old PCI graphics card, flashed my bios (3 times) to 5/23 beta (since I wanted to do that anyways) cleared the cmos and checked out the pin assignments in bios, the PCI vid card ended up sharing the same IRQ as the ULI and one of the Nic's which is what I was hoping for. So I yanked out the PCI vid card, reinstalled my Master and Slave card and viola, my Slave is now on it's on seperate IRQ, the Master is still sharing with the other nic but it doesnt appear to be a problem as I can now get through 06 without any syncing problems, this leads me to believe that the issue is a problem with the Slave card sharing IRQ's with other devices.

What I found was that it really isnt Windows that was causing the issue, it was how bios was grouping the devices, then Windows would just assing the IRQ's according to how Bios grouped them, if there was a way (and perhaps there is, though I couldnt find it or figure it out) to assign specific IRQ's to individual devices when they are grouped, the first method I tried probably would have worked.

Anyways this worked for me, not sure if it will work for others but hopefully it will help.