Sign in to follow this  
Billy69

lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d chipset hs/fan blocks video card install

:confused: I recently purchased a DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D motherboard,

along w/ a Sapphire Radeon X1900 XT video card. Unfortunately I

cannot install the card into either of the PCI Express x16 slots. The height and position of the heatsink/fan on the NF4 chipset interferes w/ the card inserting completely into either slot.

Is this motherboard model not physically compatible w/ this particular video card? Can the NF4 chipset heatsink/fan be removed and replaced w/ a smaller, shorter version? If yes, then how?

Thanks!

I can't speak specifically about the UT nF4 Ultra-D mobo, but by looking at the images of the board the layout is very similar to the SLI-DR that I own, and my video card sits on top of the chipset fan regardless of which slot I put it in. It's an issue with the boards, but I (as well as many others around here) have not had any problems getting the cards to work without interference from the chipset fan, and vice versa.

You'll have to be a litle careful while seating the card, but it should go in and just barely touch the fan.

-Rif

cannot install the card into either of the PCI Express x16 slots. The height and position of the heatsink/fan on the NF4 chipset interferes w/ the card inserting completely into either slot.

Is this motherboard model not physically compatible w/ this particular video card?

it is physically compatible with all PCIE VGA cards, including the X1900XT

Can the NF4 chipset heatsink/fan be removed and replaced w/ a smaller, shorter version? If yes, then how?

no, the stock HSF is one of the shortest (height) in existence. the Evercool VR-CE is the only aftermarket HSF available that will even fit the DFI LP NF4 boards without modification, as it is the same exact height as the DFI stock HSF.

VGA card "not fitting" DFI mobo because of the chipset fan...you hear this complaint /claim every so often on these boards. it has always been user error as far as I can tell, or people just freaked out by how the VGA kind of touches the HSF. For sure your mobo and VGA work together, because there are whole threads full of people using them together:

here is one from XS

I've tried to seat this card several times into both x16 slots. Everytime, the connector on the card is only partially seated in the slot before it's touching the chipset heatsink. The metal end piece that connects to the mb is not close enough to insert a screw. I don't see how this card can come all the way down into the slot w/o the heatsink forcing part of it up on the right side.

According to your specs, both of you have boards similar to mine but are using Nvidia based cards. Did either of you encounter this problem at all?

thanks!

Is this motherboard model not physically compatible w/ this particular video card? Can the NF4 chipset heatsink/fan be removed and replaced w/ a smaller, shorter version? If yes, then how?

Thanks!

Take a look, same config.

The card just touch the chorme cover of the heatsink.

picture0190ab8wy.th.jpg

I've had my x1900xtx installed on my SLI-D and Ultra-D with NO problems at all.. Like the others said it does sit very close to the chipset fan but it definitly fits in fine..

If you continue to have problems then you should remove the mobo from your case and try to slide the video card into the slot outside of the case.. maybe something in the case is stopping it..

i got the expert moboy and to be honest i didnt quite like how the card fittted but it did none the less. works like a charm. my x1900xtx card actually forces the casing of the chipset fan to 1 side but doesn't seem to have any ill effects, temps and stabilty is the same as every1 else here using stock cooling.

That's what I was waiting for...actual proof. Thanks a lot!!!. Sorry if I'm a little cautious, but it's a $600 card (Cdn). Wanted to be certain.

There's no problem w/ the case. I had to cut a small slit in the rear fan to fit the

add-on audio PCB but other than that everything else went fine. I guess I'll just cram the video card in until it fits.

BTW what's that tool that comes w/ the Lanparty mb used for? It has a u-shaped handle on one end and claws on the other. When you squeeze it the claws expand.

NF4 Ultra-D UT + PowerColor X1900XT + OEM chipset fan or Evercool VC-RE = All fit, all fit and very tight, but in the end all fit.

If card isn't installing correctly check all m/b standoffs (i.e. proper location and same height on all stand offs) Make sure case isn't bent or binding etc.

A skinny ant wont be able to crawl through the clearance between the two, I like to think of my X1900XT as an extra NF4 chipset cooler clamping device. They are a bargain clamp at $479.00. Never seen anything work better :)