Sign in to follow this  
sic_vl2000

Ultra D PWMIC 54 under Prime95

Hey guys my PWMIC is hitting around 54 degrees when i run prime95 to stress the system what are some ways to get this cooler as my cpu only cracks 42 at the most and chipset sits on 40 degrees. This is with the cpu at 2.7ghz and using a divider of 166.

Also while im at it i want to put something over the ram as well so i can try to oc them a bit further my case is a antec p150 if that helps

p15024oh.jpg

Guest caffeinejunkie

Really those are little high but okay for the pwm ic

voltgae regulators can usually take some heat but they do work better the cooler they are

id recommend getting a slot cooler like this:

xoxide_1899_89472559

Put that right on the three sinked mosfets

should take those temps down a ton

for the mem just use a 120mm or two 80s and mount them in a fashion to make macgyver proud

i have that exact slot blower :) [except under gfx card :P]

tho with the addition of htat my PWMIC temps dropped at least 5C under load [prolly cuz less hot air from chipset/gpu on the PWMIC area]

and after that, i mounted a single 80mm fan over hte PWMIC area and that dropped it another 10 and now it loads about 42ish

i have that exact slot blower :) [except under gfx card :P]

tho with the addition of htat my PWMIC temps dropped at least 5C under load [prolly cuz less hot air from chipset/gpu on the PWMIC area]

and after that, i mounted a single 80mm fan over hte PWMIC area and that dropped it another 10 and now it loads about 42ish

I know you have a different case but how did you mount the fan over the PWMIC?

Ok i just got my PWMIC down to mid to high 40's instead of 54 what i done was grabbed a 80mm fan and its sitting on the IDE molex and IDE cable. This will only be a temp solution till i can find something more permanent

if it is any consolation, from what i have read, 54C is perfectly within operating temperature for this component. i believe you should only get worried if it gets into the 70's or 80's or so. if you are really that worried, i would take a look at the entire case airflow, make sure you have an adequate amount of cool air coming in from the front of the case. otherwise you will just be blowing around hot air inside the case which does not help anything else in the case. and make sure you clean up the wiring so it isn't preventing clean airflow within the case.

try this... turn off that 80mm fan you just added. take the side of the case off, and aim a house fan (on a low setting) in there. fire up the computer and see what the temp is reading then. if it is a lot cooler than 54C, then you have a problem with your airflow. if it is still around 54C, then you do not have a problem with your airflow and your MB may just run hot. for me, my PWMIC is running about 10C above ambient while under load.

Guest caffeinejunkie

The pwm ic regualtes voltage so cooling it can only help it better regulate and give you more stable voltage

so why not cool it?

obviously it performs better cooled or there wouldnt be sinks on the mosfets

I doubt they just did that for the bling :D

I doubt they just did that for the bling :D
you know DFI is all about the bling, why else would the use the electro-magnetic-hover-special-quiet-but-not-really fan on the chipset. :nod:

cooling the PWMIC is good, but if sticking in a big ol' 80mm fan and screwing up already bad case airflow is the solution, i don't agree. if the PWMIC really needed active cooling, DFI would have done that too, i am sure.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well there is obvious bling factor with the dfi

just look at the uv goodness (actually I think the stock fan is ugly as sin were they going for some retro look with the extra fins sticking out?)

pwm ic components can take like upwards of 100c no sweat but im sure they would really be cooking without the sinks on them

and I agree with the airflow thing

and by the pics I see the bulk of his wires is right infront of the pwm ic area so cleaning that up a bit should help alot

also have you ever felt the sink next to the 4v jumper?

now that thing needs active cooling lol

and infact mine now has it

i sort of did hte same thing u did to have mine over it, except i just strung mine off the CPUs fan, and it is tied on the other side to a rail on the top of hte case