AM2 or Conroe?

Evil_inc

192 members have voted

1. 1.

• AM2
    • Conroe

When some real benchmarks come out I might consider them if the price is right which I doubt. If they are cheap good and fast why not. The reviews out now are a real disservice to the people that are reading them. I am very dissapointed in one site but you can pretty much make a note of the sites making reviews as ones to avoid in the future.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, I just spent 8 monthe getting my 939 rigs where I want them! I will wait, like most, till all bugs are worked out and then make a plunge into the new CPU's. There are still a few upgrades I want to do with my 939's, and those upgrades will only get cheaper, once the new CPU's come out. I hope 939 is not dead and wont be for quite some time!

939 still is very powerfull socket, I plan on keeping mine for awhile since its still very upgradeable. I dont think the ddr2 is really very usefull or needed. Conro is kinda cool but im still an amd boy and I plan on sticking with them.

The results people are getting over at XS (mostly on engineering samples but some have retail already) have been quite promising and I am thinking of jumping to conroe soon. Also the fact that early kentsfield chips are running in current conroe boards is kind of nice (though kentsfield is likely to be quite expensive when it comes out.) I think a conroe runing somewhere around 4ghz (looking possible on air so might happen on my water setup) will work quite nicely until either kentsfield or quad core k8l reach a reasonable price (about $500 for the chip).

the Conroe cpu's will be very competitivley priced

Intel learned a hard lesson during the P4 days

1. not only will customers not buy your cpu's if they can't beat the competition's cpu's

but

(and even if your cpu's are better)

2. customers will not buy your cpu's if they are twice the price of the competitor's cpu (and not twice the performance...or anything close to it)

a 2.67Ghz Conroe, which right now will beat the pants off anything AMD has to offer, is slated to go on sale at around a $260 price point.

With DDR2 prices dropping, the overclockable Conroe at this price (dual core and all) is a great deal.

like I always say, and others have said also...it is a waiting game

if you have money to burn (or get it free like I do), then Conroe is defintely for you

if however, you don't have money growing on the tree outside your house, sticking to what you have now and waiting 6 months for both product lines (AM2 and Conroe) to mature is the smart move.

here's what I always say

Until you and I can buy a real Conroe cpu and test it ourselves, benchmarks controlled by Intel or AMD are bogus and should never really be looked at.

I never read any benchmarks or pre/reviews about DFI boards until I have one in my hands, the reviewers have them in their hands. Then it is time to compare.

Conroe won't be out for a while....there is still no one that has one of these chips that is allowed to publicly post about them. Until there are retail chips for sale that work in retail boards with retail RAM and retail video cards, and can be matched against AMD's retail setups...there's nothing to see here, move along.

I have a 4800+ AM2 cpu sitting right next to my mouse...I have no board for it yet...

I have a confirmation that I will get a Conroe cpu for testing about a month before they go retail, but I don't have a board for it....

Which ? Just wondering how you know a 2.67 conroe will beat anything AMD has to offer, if dont own a conroe.

Eh Im still here and there.

I love my 939 system and all,

but I want to go to conroe but the more I think about it , I dont. K8L looks promising, but all those benchmarks just show how powerful conrore is.

Il wait until they come out and see some real benchmarks...

I am going to say neither...From what I've read they both suck....yep thats right...suck....

I read on the Inquirer this morning Intel has lost government contract due to the problems with conroe.... big time raid troubles....

And AM2 isnt much better.... it has a problem with the memory controller that in some case cant run the memory at its rated speed (800mhz) instead it runs it slower....they (both companies) are aware of the problems before hand yet still pushed these chips out... big mistake....

Everyone is really over hyping these chips....

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32842

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32855

thats for conroe....

check tomshardwareguide for AM2...

• 3 weeks later...

If I was to build a system when Conroe release then YES by all means I would go with Conroe and a heavy water cooled OC. MY last 6 builds have been AMD, but if Conroe can produce the best bang for the buck, I will go with Gawdzilla.

I am going to say neither...From what I've read they both suck....yep thats right...suck....

I read on the Inquirer this morning Intel has lost government contract due to the problems with conroe.... big time raid troubles....

And AM2 isnt much better.... it has a problem with the memory controller that in some case cant run the memory at its rated speed (800mhz) instead it runs it slower....they (both companies) are aware of the problems before hand yet still pushed these chips out... big mistake....

I was under the impression that the RAID problem only affected the Step 5 Conroe's (the engineering samples), the newer Step b2 were supposed to have fixed that. I was unaware of the AMD memory problem with their AM2 chips.