Sign in to follow this  
momay

Opteron 146 Stock HSF Removal

i did something wrong with the removal of stock HSF. i was not aware that there was a removal guide on amd but it was already late.i unclip the HSF locks with care, my mistake was i did not loosen the screws on the plastic bracket as instructed in the video, therefore i was not able to twist the HSF to loosen its grip on the CPU.I pull the HSF upward with force to remove but it was too late when i remember that the CPU was locked on the socket. The CPU was attached to the bottom of the HSF and 2-3 rows of pins are bent.i straighten the pins with a screw driver (chrome plated non conductive) and immediately install the CPU too see if it was damaged.Lucky for me it works great as before even without reseting the cmos and running still running at 2.7ghz. only did it to see if it would post. my problem now is when the time i pull up the socket lever, and before it reaches the fully-open position there seems to be a clicking sound. i want to know if this is just normal or there seems to a damage on the cpu socket that in the long run of setting in and out of the cpu that there would be a time that it would not post antmore. i've already tested it twice after the incident and it seems to be working fine.i have never did it befor of setting in the CPU and pulling it out since my first build so i am not sure if the clicking sound is normal or not.thanks for anyone that can lighten me up on this cause i am really concerned about the CPU and mobo. A_G and RGone please clarify my doubts about the mobo. thanks

Hey Momay, looks like you were lucky.

I've pulled cpu's out of the socket like you did, but never bent any pins.

Sometimes bent pins break off and then you're really screwed but you did fine by bending them back and being able to use your cpu again.

The socket will click when you pull up the socket lever so don't worry about that, it's normal.

Just take this as a lesson and be more careful next time heh.

A good thing to do is to run cpuburn or prime for an hr or so before you try to take off the hsf. That way the thermal paste is warm and the sink should come off easily.

Enjoy the cpu :)

thanks a lot man.i just hope that the pins are solidly intact to its base.one more thing though my temps are cooler at OC setting than at stock settings.running a 5/6 divider and LDT multiplier on auto: 1120mhz HTT.at OC speed settings cpu idles at 36-38C loads at 47-50C. at stock speed settings cpu idles at 38-40C and loads at 50-55C.probably gonna be replacing the stock HSF with Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

Those loads are alright. Not great, but not bad you know.

Cooler is always better though. ;)

I reckon you could get away with what you have now though if you wanted.

heh

I've bent so many pins on so many processors...from ripping them out of sockets badly like you did, to simply dropping the cpu on a hard surface or the floor...but as long as the pins are still attached, the cpu should be still good ;)

Don't forget, there is a place to get broken pins replaced. I.ve broken a few. I use Gary at motherboardrepair.com. Good luck.