Sign in to follow this  
Praz

Which card to buy? 7900GTX or 1900XTX

Up until a few weeks ago I was going to purchase a 7900GTX. Then with all the problems being posted I decided on a 1900XTX. But because of EVGA's response to the Nvidia issues I am comfortable once again purchasing a 79000GTX.

The 7900GTX runs cooler, requires less power and to an extent is easier to overclock. The 1900XTX I believe probably has the edge on image quality and has no problem running with HDR and AA enabled.

Prices are about the same for either card. I will most likely watercool the card so the factory cooling will have no bearing on the purchase. So how about some positive reasons why I should choose one card over the other. Please no bashing of either card. I'm looking for positive remarks only. I will be ordering one or the other before the weekend is over. Help me decide so I can get this done.

I have a x1900xtx. On watercooling my temps never go over 50C. Wate you DO have to worry about though is cooling those mofsets. The stock heatsink will have to have a fan blowing on it somehow. I personally have a custom heatsink with 2 40mm delta fans blowing on it. My temps in that region now never go above 70C and thats with the vcore at 1.550 and the vmem cranked up pretty high. Also like you stated. Playing games with aa and hdr was a huge plus for me. Its a hot card and to really oc it you need to make sure more than just the core stay cool but I would never choose anything different.

I dont know if nvidia does it, but I find the x1900xts feature to encode video very useful...I encode videos for my ipod very fast...

Other than that Ive never used nvidia since the FX series, prolly left me so dissapointed it never made me buy another nvidia card again lol

I'd go for an ATI X1900XTX at this time...I'm seeing too many users unhappy or having problems with their 7900 series cards (both GT and GTX) and the only problem users seem to be having with the ATI cards is they can't stop playing games in super resolution with all the candy turned on lol

i personally like the 7900gtx - ive played games for few days on my friends computer i built and it works like a charm - i cant complain and plus, the temperatures under full load runs anywhere from 53-57c - i like it ;) and plus it doesnt use as much power as the ati counter part ;)

Well so for it ATI-3, Nvidia-1. The 1900XTX is what I'm leaning towards. There are two things stopping me from actually making that decision. One is the response from EVGA regarding the recent problems. Customer support like that really means something. And if I get a 7900GTX it would definitely be from EVGA. The other is the heat generated by the 1900XTX. My processor never gets above 37C and my case runs 2C above ambient. I don't want to do anything that would upset these temps.

honestly just get the X1900XT and clock it to XTX speeds, and get yourself a nice aftermarket cooler like the Accelero or Arctic Silencer

honestly just get the X1900XT and clock it to XTX speeds, and get yourself a nice aftermarket cooler like the Accelero or Arctic Silencer

I had thought about that. I was looking at the X1900XT IceQ3 at Monarch. They have it for 409.69 after $20.00 MIR. But someone told me HIS told him he had to RMA his card through the retailer he bought it from. I looked on the HIS website and saw nothing about RMA procedures. I'm not going with a company that won't handle their own products directly when there is a problem. So I'm looking at Powercolor. The xt and xtx are within $10.00 of each other after rebates.

Guest azure

I was going through the same decision process as you. I don't even know what board or processor to purchase yet, but I ordered a sapphire x1900xtx because of the image quality etc. Should be here later this week.

Now I have to decide on the rest......

If you're going to do any linux stuff, NVidia is the way to go.

Sign in to follow this