Sign in to follow this  
orion24

Latest BIOS highly unstable. Why?

The latest BIOS causes very serious stability problems to me. First it hanged during the Windows XP installation. Then, after it installed Windows, it would always hang when installing the video card drivers. It wasn't even overclocked when I tried it.

Is this a known issue or is it just me?

I thought the latest BIOS was unstable on my SLI-D too, but it wasn't, turns out that my assumption that the previous stable settings would be the same on this new BIOS, but new timings, new memory settings and tweaking on settings meant that I basically had to treat it as if I had just built the thing from scratch...anyway, eventually I have managed to get it stable again and for cool n quiet to work - which is a major bonus for as I leave my machine on 24/7 nearly!

Moral of the story...reconfigure everything again after a new BIOS do not load CMOS-Reloaded settings as they will likely play havoc with new BIOS and enjoy the tweaking!!

Matt

If you mean you managed to get it stable by loosening the memory timings, then NO THANKS. If I want stability in the way of slowing doen the system, I can get back to my 386DX as well. My memory is fine, works fine as it is in my sig with the previos BIOS and with the latest, the system was unstable even at stock CPU and memory at DDR400

If you mean you managed to get it stable by loosening the memory timings, then NO THANKS.

Ummmm. I didn't see him state that anywhere. The new BIOS has worked GREAT for me and I am running TIGHTER timings as a result. How did I find out I could use tighter timings?..... by going through the process of re-tweaking as suggested by Matt. Sorry there is no "easy button" for this...wish there was indeed ;)

Make sure you do heed his advice about don't simply load saved setting using reloaded. Also DO make sure you clear CMOS, load optmized defaults, REBOOT, THEN enter YOUR pet settings. If you shortcut that process you will most likely have quirks. FWIW, I used the BTA version of the new BIOS since the 702BTA was the best for me previously.

Good luck.

I don't see why I should clear the CMOS. I flashed the BIOS, then I loaded optimized defaults. Don't have any saved configurations. With the optimized defaults I went to reformat and install XP. Then I faced the issues I described

Guest burningrave101
I don't see why I should clear the CMOS. I flashed the BIOS, then I loaded optimized defaults. Don't have any saved configurations. With the optimized defaults I went to reformat and install XP. Then I faced the issues I described

Because clearing the CMOS fixes a lot of issues. You should always clear the CMOS after flashing and when you're having issues you should try clearing it again. Sometimes you even have to clear it multiple times to fix an issue.

OK I found the problem. The new BIOS adds support for DDR500 and the 5/4 RAM/HTT divider. By running the optimised defaults the AUTO function in memory set it to run as DDR500 at the default voltage of 2.6V, that is unstable.

I had a stable system for 2 months.. now after installing my nvidia drivers my monitor flickers like crazy. I am thinking this may be due to me loading my optimized defaults, although am not 100% sure. (cant remember if thats the cause or not)

How do I clear the to the original CMOS.. Are there any safe settings I can use that are stable for memory and my 7900?

I have been working on this problem for a month and is driving me nuts. I tryed upgrading my BIOS as well, and still the same problem.

yes, which is exactly what the first guy said. Make sure the settings with the new BIOS reflect how you want the rig setup.

jteddy, search for the CMOS clearing guide on here -- i will show/tell you what to do

I Flashed then just reloaded my old CMOS settings and stable 9hrs again yussss and it fixed a bootup problem where sometimes the leds would flicker and it would just stay at 2 and then restart itself i think it was a RAM issue cus it happened when i went 4 2 ggs but now it is resolved.yusssssssssssss

I just flashed from the 3/30 to the 704-tb... unstable as hell with the same settings as before. Time to start the tweaking all over again. Though, Memtest runs without error, but prime fails in under a miniute.