Sign in to follow this  
johnrr6

4 Gig Memory-----Recognized or not????

OK----Have searched the forum....and other forums.....

I have this happening and I'd like to know if there is a way to see if programs can actually use the additional memory or not----or if it is even being recognized.....

Am confused-----is the extra memory being seen and used???

I have 2 x 1 Gig Ballistix z503s rated at 3-4-4-8 in the orange slots

and 2 x 1 Gig PQI Turbos rated at 3-4-4-8 in the yellow slots

4 Gigs overall----VDIMM set to 2.8

CPC Disabled (forces 2T)

Latest 406 BIOS off the DFI site----April 2006

Memory Hole set to Enabled in BIOS

added /PAE to the boot.ini file

The initial Bios boot screen only shows 2 Gigs being recognized----and in the Hardware Manager in Windows----it only shows 2 Gigs

Yet CPU-z says I have 4 gigs installed and recognizes all four DIMMS with SPDs

and then again.........3dMark 2005 info shows all four dimms occupied-----but only two providing RAM

A64 Tweaker shows Memclk on slots 3 and 4 "Disabled"

Seems to run totally fine and the only thing I lost was 2 mghtz on my overclock and moving from 1T to 2T-----benches and stress tests just great with the 4 dimms....

But how do I know if the extra is even being used????

I know Windows XP SP2 will not recognize all the way up to 4 Gigs....saw all the posts....

But in my case-----it doesn't even recognize above 2.0 Gigs-----at least in the Hardware portion of My computer,

Heck----I'd settle for it recognizing 3 Gigs----or a tad more.......

That would at least give me a warm and fuzzy that the OS is actually using SOME of the additional RAM I installed.

Any help appreciated....

You need Windows x64 for all 4GB to be recognized... Windows XP Home/Pro only see around 3GB (though it varies)

Understand------but in my case------it is only showing as 2.0 Gigs in My Computer, Properties-----not 3.0----or even 2.8....

and strangely enough----both Everest and Sandra say that two of the DIMM banks are "empty"-----yet both come back with an exact description of what is in each of the 4 DIMM banks...

Including DIMMS in the two supposedly "empty" banks....

And the descriptions are accurate so they are "seeing" the DIMMS

Well, not to sound like an @55, but whether or not it sees 3GB or not you still need a different OS to be able to take advantage of 4GB of RAM.

Not at all-----you are not offending me at all----thanks for the replies.....

Are you saying that in XP32----there is NO advantage of adding extra memory above 2 Gigs???

What about folks who have gotten their machines to recognize 3.0 of RAM or higher??

Are you saying that if I pull those exra two gigs out----I will see NO difference in performance----even in areas like video editing where RAM is essential?????

Well, not to sound like an @55, but whether or not it sees 3GB or not you still need a different OS to be able to take advantage of 4GB of RAM.

Yes, but XP 32 should recognize 3.25gbs.....

the OS limit is adressability, not identification of the RAM per se...his system basically is ignoring 2 ram sticks.....

And answering the question of the first message...I have never seen this before, maybe the mobo doesn't like two different manufaturers and memory chips, the only thing I can suggest you is try mix and match the sticks...swap the pair that is in the orange slots to the yellow slots and vice-versa...

Yes, but XP 32 should recognize 3.25gbs.....

He OS limit is adressability, not identification of the RAM per se...his system basically is ignoring 2 ram sticks.....

And answering the question of the first message...I have never seen this before, maybe the mobo doesn't like two different manufaturers and memory chips, the only thing I can suggest you is try mix and match the sticks...swap the pair that is in the orange slots to the yellow slots and vice-versa...

I'm thinking you are correct and the mobo doesn't like two different 2 Gig sets and the small differences in SPD between the PQI and the Ballistix is the problem.

I found another post where it seemed his problem was solved by 4 sticks EXACTLY the same...

He had 4 OCZ sticks of exactly the same model----but OCZ had changed the SPD values slightly on two of the modules which were slightly newer-----even though it was the same model number----it wouldn't "recognize" over 2.0 Gigs

OCZ sent him 4 of exactly the same sticks and his problem was solved.....

if your board has 4GB of RAM installed but only sees 2GB, that means that the second kit more than likely is not an exact match of the first kit (ie different SPD's etc)

this is typical in a non-matched environment

now

once you have 4GB of RAM and the computer can see all 4 gigs, you have to enable PCMMIO Memory Hole or such in the BIOS to allow all 4GB to be seen

for software...you have to use pre-SP2 WindowsXP, which is a bad idea, or you have to use an OS like Windows XP 64 or Linux that can actually see all 4GB

Thanks all.....

Went back to 2 Gigs and pulled the PQIs

Crucial doesn't make the 2 gig z503 kits anymore-----and the guys on ebay want outlandish prices.....

Maybe I'll just wait for AM2 and Conrore-----and DDR2 will become mainstream and hopefully the bottom will fall out of DDR prices for a while.

My stable overclock went back up the two mghtz I lost----but more importantly, went back to Command Rate 1T.

It DOES make a difference on benchmarks and 3d scores....

2T in the real world----in everyday stuff....you really don't see a difference.

Again----thanks for the help.

John

It DOES make a difference on benchmarks and 3d scores....

2T in the real world----in everyday stuff....you really don't see a difference.

only a percent or less in real stuff...but I suppose it is always the user's 'feeling' that is important ;)

using 2T I always end up forgetting that I am using 2T and I never notice it