Sign in to follow this  
houlty

3800+ X2 Problem (Please help)

Hi all,

I'm in need of a litte help with regards to my PC...

I recently installed an AMD64 3800+ X2 cpu (i had 3500+ X1 before), and at that time i reinstalled windows too...

Anyway, since then my pc has been randomly (as far as i can tell) crashing and BSODing (MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION)...although at the same time i think it is always a situation where cpu usage is high or suddenly increases....

By analysing the memory dump i think i found the culprit to be pciidex.sys, although i now think this is only a probelm with dual core only... as i have now installed my 3500+ single core again and the problems have stopped...

I have no idea how to go about resolving the issue....

If anyone can shed some light of the situation, that would be great... as i want dual core...

Attached is a copy of the info i got from the memory dump if it at all helps...

Thanks,

Houlty....

Also, if its any help my pc spec is as follows:-

Board : DFI NF4 Ultra D (BIOS 2006/04/06)

CPU : AMD64 3800+ X2 (although currently 3500+ X1 with no problems occurring)

RAM : OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev.2 - 1GB Dual Channel (2 x 512)

Graphics : HIS ICEQII X800XL

PSU : Hyper Type R (580w)

Case : Lian Li PC-60B Plus

Drive 1 : 74GB WD Raptor

Drive 2 : 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10

Drive 3 : 250GB Samsung Spinpoint II

Drive 4 : NEC DVD-RW (DL)

p.s. i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but people in these forums seem to be pretty clued up and i've not had any possible solutions found elsewhere... I really hope its not a faulty cpu tho....

do you have the k8 drivers installed as well as the microsoft dual core hotfix? If not, I would look aorund, you should be able to find it, if not on here, then I know theres a thread about instability and the X2's on overclock.net. Supposedly this hotfix will help people who are having what sounds like the same problems as you.

thanks NForcer, ive downloaded the driver and will hav to try it out sometime (havent got a chance to swap over the cpu's at the minute....)...

One thing that concerned me though, is that the file that the memory dump always sees the problem as PCIIDEX.SYS, which is a "PCI IDE Bus Driver Extension".. So does this mean it is entirely CPU related or not (but as i say the problem does not occur with single core)???

If anyone can shed any more light on this problem it would be great....

Thanks,

Tom

hmmm, i didnt clear the CMOS actually, although i did load optimized defaults...

what benefits does clearing the cmos give???

If your system is not stable all kinds of weird messages can arise...did you try and run a prime95 on both cores?

Since you changed CPUs that means also changing memory controllers...you may try resetting your RAM to auto on all values except the 4 main values...and then tweak from there...

I swapped my x2 3800+ for a dual core Opteron 165....I had the "max assynch latency" set in the bios to 6

once I popped in the new opty...the system didn't boot...lol

after some tweaking I found out that the lower it likes for max assync latency with my memory is 7.....go figure...

clear CMOS and load optimised defaults and run at stock speeds, then let us know what happens, no other suggestions in the world will hep before u do that

right... i've cleared the cmos (i cleared it for 15min hopin thats enough) and installed the X2 again, and i'm gonna run through prime95 (setup for dual core) and see if the problems reoccur....

more specifically i said the problems occur at times when cpu usage suddenly increases (like a lot of the time its when i run over my dock program (yz dock)....

whether this means anything i dont know...

i'll see how it all pans out and let you knwo the outcome...

thanks for all the assistance so far, hopefully i wont need no more.....

sorry for the late update on this one, i've been busy with other stuff...

basically, as it stands i still cant use the 3800+x2 because it locks up too frequently...

its difficult to figure out what exactly is causing this, but i hope its not a faulty chip...

so far i've cleared the cmos, done a fresh install, reset bios settings to optimized default, upped voltage, disabled c&q, put in tweaked ram settings... not in any particular order though....

the situation still stands where lock ups occur on my 3800+ x2, but never (not once) on my 3500+x1... and it most commonly happens when i roll over yzdock (i.e. when cpu usage jumps).. it no longer blue screens when it locks up, and there is nothing in system events at the point of each lock up...

any help would be appreciated very much... and should you need any more info please ask...

thanks,

houlty.

Hi all,

I'm in need of a litte help with regards to my PC...

I recently installed an AMD64 3800+ X2 cpu (i had 3500+ X1 before), and at that time i reinstalled windows too...

Anyway, since then my pc has been randomly (as far as i can tell) crashing and BSODing (MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION)...although at the same time i think it is always a situation where cpu usage is high or suddenly increases....

By analysing the memory dump i think i found the culprit to be pciidex.sys, although i now think this is only a probelm with dual core only... as i have now installed my 3500+ single core again and the problems have stopped...

I have no idea how to go about resolving the issue....

If anyone can shed some light of the situation, that would be great... as i want dual core...

Attached is a copy of the info i got from the memory dump if it at all helps...

Thanks,

Houlty....

Also, if its any help my pc spec is as follows:-

Board : DFI NF4 Ultra D (BIOS 2006/04/06)

CPU : AMD64 3800+ X2 (although currently 3500+ X1 with no problems occurring)

RAM : OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev.2 - 1GB Dual Channel (2 x 512)

Graphics : HIS ICEQII X800XL

PSU : Hyper Type R (580w)

Case : Lian Li PC-60B Plus

Drive 1 : 74GB WD Raptor

Drive 2 : 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10

Drive 3 : 250GB Samsung Spinpoint II

Drive 4 : NEC DVD-RW (DL)

p.s. i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but people in these forums seem to be pretty clued up and i've not had any possible solutions found elsewhere... I really hope its not a faulty cpu tho....

i change the (update) nvide to ms pci ide driver for ide products

problems gone. give it a try.