Sign in to follow this  
RJHazel

PCI-E Frequency

quick question, when i had my SLI-DR with 2 x 7800GTX i always ran my cards at 105mhz. i found it gave a more fluid feel to games. i want to try this on the crossfire setup but can not find aa way to change the frequency in the BIOS , any ideas?

there is no way to change this

it is absolutely unecessary to change the PCI-E speeds

while it may 'feel' like there is a difference in games...there is no difference, and in fact by raising the PCI-E speeds above 100, you risk corrupting anything else that is on the PCI-E bus (like LAN ports and/or SATA/IDE ports)

not being funny but surely "feel" is the whole idea. if a game feels better you are more accurate, like in UT etc.

not being funny but surely "feel" is the whole idea. if a game feels better you are more accurate, like in UT etc.

well, i am always one that promotes 'feeling' here as it is based in a user's psyche and confidence etc

but you can set it back to 100 and you won't notice a difference

you might feel like you can...and the important thing is that if it 'feels' better...go with it

however

it doesn't change the fact that there's no way to change this on your board lol

your reply makes no sense

He's saying that you 'feeling' it is faster does not necessarily make it so.

When I drive 80 mph in my van it doesn't 'feel' anywhere near as fast as it does in my buddy's T-bird, but they both are going 80 mph.

When you want tsomething to go faster, your brain will make you believe it, regardless of the truth (to a point of course).

Or another way of looking at it, the bus speed only affects how fast data transfers - nothing more. It isn't helping your graphics cards as all the data that needs to be sent to them can be over a 100mhz bus no problem.

But hey, feel free to increase it if you want, I'm not stopping you. If you REALLY want to find out if it makes a difference then run benchmarks on it. Run a dozen passes of 3dmark06/06 and average it out, do this for 100, 105, 110, whatever you want, and see what the effect is.

Post the results here too, hell maybe we're wrong. ;)

He's saying that you 'feeling' it is faster does not necessarily make it so.

When I drive 80 mph in my van it doesn't 'feel' anywhere near as fast as it does in my buddy's T-bird, but they both are going 80 mph.

When you want tsomething to go faster, your brain will make you believe it, regardless of the truth (to a point of course).

Or another way of looking at it, the bus speed only affects how fast data transfers - nothing more. It isn't helping your graphics cards as all the data that needs to be sent to them can be over a 100mhz bus no problem.

But hey, feel free to increase it if you want, I'm not stopping you. If you REALLY want to find out if it makes a difference then run benchmarks on it. Run a dozen passes of 3dmark06/06 and average it out, do this for 100, 105, 110, whatever you want, and see what the effect is.

Post the results here too, hell maybe we're wrong. ;)

ya...what this guy ^^^ said

if your mind thinks something is faster, better, tastier, yellower, whateverer...then it FEELS faster/stronger/better/tastier/crappier/whateverer but it really isn't...only in your mind.

some people at xtreme forum says that it can increase some points in 3D Marks, but thats all, i didnt see any difference.

i tested 100 and 105 myself and I never saw a single difference other than standard deviation, and it did not allow me to overclock the vid card any higher, and it does tend to screw with the PCI-E LAN and SATA on the PCI-E bus when moved over 100

Arguements of effectiveness aside, is there a reason that it wasn't included in the CFX? Could it be the RD580 or M1575 to blame?

I'd like to experiment for myself, which is why I like DFI boards, but if it's not possible to add it in, I'm fine with that. IME with AGP, overclocking did nothing for performance but it actually hindered GPU clocks (I could measurably observe temp differences with AGP @ 75MHz or above in my 9700 pro). Being a noob to PCI-E, I just wanted to see what's what.

Arguements of effectiveness aside, is there a reason that it wasn't included in the CFX? Could it be the RD580 or M1575 to blame?

because it is unecessary to change it since it provides no benefits, and in fact (as stated previously) can have adverse effects on the system since the PCI-E bus also provides the pathway for LAN and SATA controllers.