FSB 230 max?

AlexB

Hi I wold like to start of by saying that I'm a total noob at overclocking so please be patient with me (+my english isn't all that good).

So i got my new sistem about a week ago and little by little stared learning about oc, and obviously I ran it to problems.(sistem is posted in signature)

1. When fsb is set above 230 my sistem doesn't want to boot. cpu multi is set to lowest, htt lowest, memory 1/2 ... and still doesn't boot. It passes bios tests but at CMOS backup it restarts. What is the f**** problem ?

2. At the moment my sistem is running at FSB 230, CPU multi x9, LTD/FSB x4, and ram is 230 (DDR460?) and after 4 houres of prime95 i haven't had a single error. Oh and i forgot my Vcore is at 1v and mem is at 2.7v.Now after the 4 houres i started trying to up the fsb lowering everithing else like i said. After 10-15 restarts I gave up but the problem is that at the moment i have no sound :D I don't know what really happend but my win drivers got mixed up.

I wold be really gratefull for any advice or help you cold offer.

Your vCORE is 1v? You mean 1.5v right? Sounds like your vCORE is not being adjusted properly or is it? Please be more specific since these Opteron need more vCORE for higher clocks you know. :)

Note: Which PSU are you running? Are all the power connectors connected to the motherboard properly? There are four power connectors if you haven't noticed. Good Luck!

ive found my opty to be awesome at low volts

anyways

DON set your HTT multiplier to lowest, do some math in you rhead (or take out a calculator)

multiply 230x5

that makes 1150x2=2300 HT, that is too high

so set your multiplier to 4x

and o and read up on OCing tutorials, they are a CPUsaver

Fist of all HTT multi was set to lowest just for testing .. I wanted to see how high i can go with FSB. For regular use i have set x4/

And second my CPU runs perfectly at 1.00v.

The question was why does the fsb go eny higher than 230 ?

I've tryed every posibility ... cpu mem htt .... no problems there just that even if i downclock every thing and i set the fsb over 230 it still dosen't want to boot.

Alex:

I started off with that exact memory when I got my Expert board and Opty 165. Sorry to say, I had poor results no matter WHAT I tried. That said, keep in mind that ram was desogned to run very tight timings at stock fsb. Too raise the FSB, among other things, you will need to loosen timings.

At the end of the day, Ithe Corsair went on Ebay and I am now running cool and easy at 2.6ghz with OCZ Gold 2gig kit (see sig). In fact, the system will easily do more if I opt for better cooling. You have a great board and CPU so depending on what you trying to do your RAM may limit you (and do make sure you get a recommended PSU if you dont already have one...not an area to skimp)

Good luck

He has a 1/2 divider running...

Yepper...and as you noted previously... my experience was this ram didnt like the 1/2 divider. Seeing through to the end, I didnt find that the Corsair would let me reach my goals. YMMV

Ok so i made some progres i've copyed some bios setting of this forum (not totaly at rondom ... the guy that posted had the same sistem as mine) amd got fsb to 236 stable.

This is what i changed :

DQS Skew Control - Increase

DQS Skew Value - 255

DRAM Drive Strength - weaK 3

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 1

Max Async Latency - 9.0 Nano Seconds

DRAM Response Time - Normal

Read Preamble Time - 6.5 Nano Seconds

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x