New Processor

aurora

Hi

I am in the process of building a mini server mATX, to cut cost I have deciding to move my current cpu (see Sig) to a cheap asrock board running at stock speeds, and replace it with a better processor :shake: within my present rig.

I prefer not to go the am2 route as i will be overclocking, review sites have already mentioned there are no such performance gains for another year or so until it has matured, so theres no point!

I am definitely looking towards another dual core chip. Either a X2 4600, 4800 or FX60. I notice on this forum a lot of people are using opterons (never had one or experienced having one, model: 165,170,175 & 180), I would appreciate any feedback on the topic especially on the opteron overclocks.

Thanks.

if u have installed ur processor already how do u find out what stepping you have, I know my chip is ccbwe *******. Even before u buy the chip the retailers do not know themselves what the steppings are...

The only way to determine your stepping is to look at the chip. It is visible on the surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) and is shown through the packaging.

Retailers can check this for you before a sale, but most don't bother.