Sign in to follow this  
FuriousGeorge

LP NF2 UB - RMA'd mb, got it back, cant break 2ghz

one day after over a year of faithful service my mb stopped posting.

i use a mobile barton chip, and ive always OCed a little, but I never went too crazy trying to squeeeze every last cycle out.

so dfi was great with helping me with the RMA, but i got the new board toaday, with the latest official bios (11/24), and it wont even run stable at 200X10. it will boot at that speed, no faster, but prime95 will crash after seconds.

i guess ill try one of these modded BIOSs, but i'm pretty worried my new mb is a dud.

anyone got any suggestions?

UPDATE: OK, so I installed a modded bios, even though I knew it wasnt gonna help, and same story. time for another RMA? this thing wont even run at the stick speed for an athlon 2600+ xp-m, which i believe is 133x15. this is definately not normal under any circumstances, right?

I'm not sure you have the right to RMA, as is there actually a guarentee that any of your parts overclock all? I can't just RMA my opteron because it overclocks badly, and I think the same goes for motherboards too.

surky,

i agree entirely, but you are guarenteed to be able to run stock, no?

i cant even boot at 14 X 133 stable, which is the stock (more or less) spec for my xp-m 2600+

for whatever reason 200 X 10 boots, but the pc will turn off if i do anything heavy.

temps seem hot too. 45 C with an optn case? i was expecting like 39

Ah ok, I assumed that a 2600+ ran below 2ghz, and thought that you were complaining because it couldn't oc.

If it won't run stock, and it sounds like it definately is the motherboard, then I'm sure you have the right to RMA.

45 C seems fine for a Barton. My 3000+ used to run at 43 degrees on water, though I'm not sure if that's equivalent to your cpu.

perhaps i spoke to soon, though it remains to be seen

after my last post i cleaned the arctic silver 5 up on my chip and hsf, and reapplied it (and obviously reseated my cpu). Then i passed test1 of prime95 for the first time at 15 X 133 @1.65 vcore / 2.6 dcore

so i tried to do the same at 10 X 200 @ same voltage and instant hard shutdown again.

on a whim i decided to turn the memory speed up and run memtest. with some tweaking i got it to pass one test @ 250mhz (lowering cas latency from 3 to 2.5 made it pass, my ram voltage and chipset voltage are still at 2.9 and 1.7, though i dont know how necessary those are).

fully expecting my system to grind to a hard shutdown within 5 seconds again, but instead it took a few minutes, which is progress, nonetheless. (i got to third itineration test).

in my experience when a system you are oc'ing just shuts off like that during prime95 (rather than fail a test) its usually an inadequate PSU. my PSU is brand new and better than the last one I had, which i was able to crank the vcore to 1.825 on before it would start to shut off.

not that i run unstable. my system is a part time server and it was up for 100 days at one point (not running prime95 the whole time obviously) @ 2.4ghz. even then it only went off due to a power outage.

my ceiling seems to be my vcore. even though my temp never reaches 60C, if i raise my vcore past 1.55 the righ will hard shut off when running prime95,

i have a mobile barton 2600, which is not really overclocked at all when run at 200X10, but all i can get out of it is 5 minutes of prime95 before it shuts off

ive tried swapping back in all my old components. the only variable that has changed is my mb, and im afraid it just isnt cutting it.

i guess ill call DFI on monday and ask for another RMA. i know i cant expect it to overclock, but i can expect it to run stable at stock speeds.